• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brutal Column on MSU, The B1G

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Sharp: Michigan State created its own misfortune in loss to Nebraska | Drew Sharp | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

EAST LANSING -- If you're going to cheer the memorable last-second victories with the cute nicknames, then don't cry when the magic dries up and the football scales balance in the other direction.

Michigan State created its own misfortune this season.

Spare me the nonsense about how the officials robbed them again. Here's a novel thought, Sparty? Try not putting yourself in a position where you're potentially at the mercy of a questionable ruling.

Or how about attempting to perform like a decent, functional team, something in hilariously short supply in the Big Ten this season?

It's comical that the Spartans' 28-24 late-second loss to Nebraska will be remembered more for two controversial fourth-quarter penalties -- a personal foul call that negated an MSU interception returned for a touchdown and a pass interference call in the end zone that set up the Cornhuskers' game-winning score with 6 seconds remaining.

"I don't know what the problem was," defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi said. "But I guess you are not allowed to block on defense. You can only block on offense. Players play. Coaches coach. Officials try to officiate the best they can. I guess they saw it that way. From the booth, I didn't see it that way."

His attempt at sarcasm might result in a call from the Big Ten office this week (collect, of course). The league should also inform Narduzzi that a similar defiance on a Nebraska fourth down and 10 with less than a minute remaining and the Cornhuskers in frantic scramble mode, and the game would have ended with the Spartans celebrating like they accomplished something of note.

Even if the Spartans had won, what would they have expected? Praise for an offense that finally scored 24 points at home? Would they have merited a pat on the back for avoiding a three-game home losing streak?

This effort would have meant something a month earlier when their season still meant something. But the Spartans' only purpose for resuming a season formally deemed irrelevant is throwing a wrench into an already discombobulated crawl to the Big Ten championship.

The Big Ten has devolved beyond a comical mess.

Its top-two teams aren't eligible for the postseason, leaving the remaining dregs wallowing in the slop and slime. The one with least amount of filth and film will place victorious stems in their mouths in Indianapolis a month from now, earning the privilege of having Oregon disembowel them on New Year's Day.

I doubt that the Tournament of Roses actually will permit roses to be presented to the eventual Big Ten "champion."

The Spartans' attempt at recouping something lost might appear noble at its core, but when looking at it from the necessary broader perspective, it's the equivalent of making a pile of garbage smell just a tad better.

It's still garbage.

They're 5-5, looking at a bowl worthy of its own flea dip with one more win
. Six wins would qualify them for a bowl only in one of eight Big Ten-affiliated games.

"You have to move forward," said quarterback Andrew Maxwell. "I feel like I say that after all our close losses that come down to the end. As painful as it is, as heartbreaking as it is, it doesn't end the season."

Au contraire.

There were vast pockets of empty seats at Spartan Stadium, a reflection of how many supporters justifiably bailed on this team. They announced the attendance at 73,522, but it certainly looked as though several thousand who bought tickets thought there was a more enjoyable way of spending a late November afternoon -- like having a voluntary colonoscopy.

But this is what happens when you raise expectations incredibly high. The fall when you fail to meet those expectations is incredibly far.

Take notes, Michigan State.

This is the price for wanting to dine at the grown-ups' table. Don't expect kudos for displaying late fight when the battle was long over. What's the rallying cry for the remainder of the season? To prove that they're the best five-loss team in the country?

Who cares?

The Spartans now head for a bye week.

Bye is the appropriate word for this season.

Good-bye and good riddance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:shocked: This would be journalistic suicide if you wrote something like this in Nebraska about Nebraska.

Fucking brutal man. Yeesh.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, the Chicago Tribune writes articles like that and worse about ND all the time, even this year. If it gets page clicks they'll write it.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Sharp: Michigan State created its own misfortune in loss to Nebraska | Drew Sharp | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Its top-two teams aren't eligible for the postseason

but it certainly looked as though several thousand who bought tickets thought there was a more enjoyable way of spending a late November afternoon

only going to pick on 2 of the items above....

so, now PSU is the 2nd best team?

shit...I fucking missed Thanksgiving..how the fuck did i do that....oh yeah..November fucking 2nd is late November?

fuck this assclown.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea.......if anyone wrote that in Nebraska they'd be fucked for life.

That is a guarantee. Funny read though :lol:

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bullshit article, Oregon ain't going to be in the low tier bowl of the Rose Bowl.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys go to the Rose Bowl. Congrats, it's just, well the Rose Bowl is old news for us now, we are beyond just the Rose Bowl. Been there 3 times, won it, been there, done it. Our sights for this program is on the National title.

Scary thing?

Mariota - Freshman

DAT - Sophmore

Lyerla - Sophmore

our WRs - Freshman or Sophmores

Arik Armstead - Freshman

In other words, all of our studs are sophmores or younger, we are going to be in the natty for the next few years.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better hope you don't play in the Rose Bowl. Indiana would roast the ducks. All our stars with the exception of one is an underclassman also...

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better hope you don't play in the Rose Bowl. Indiana would roast the ducks. All our stars with the exception of one is an underclassman also...

Indiana? Doesn't Wisconsin have the Leaders on lock?

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana controls their own destiny. We play @ Wisky this week, and they're missing their starting QB. I like our chances.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana winning the Leaders!?!??! :shocked: :pound: oooo b1g 10.

Pretty sad but that is what happens when the top 2 teams in a division are ineligible and none of the other teams are very good. Wisconsin really hurting now after losing starting QB for rest of season.

Remember UCLA was in the PAC championship game last year and they were only 6-6. Shows how pathetic the south was in Pac last year when USC was ineligible.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, the Chicago Tribune writes articles like that and worse about ND all the time, even this year. If it gets page clicks they'll write it.

Yea, doesn't make him wrong, though. We're all terrible this year. I'd go on to say that even though there were some very strong teams in the last 5 years, that the B1G teams as a whole have had an uncanny knack for making dopey ass plays and looking incredibly stupid....including those very strong teams at times.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys go to the Rose Bowl. Congrats, it's just, well the Rose Bowl is old news for us now, we are beyond just the Rose Bowl. Been there 3 times, won it, been there, done it. Our sights for this program is on the National title.

how many titles do you have from all that?

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ForkEmBucky;2505960[QUOTE said:
]Yea, doesn't make him wrong, though. We're all terrible this year.

I agree. He's not writing anything that the casual follower of the B1G doesn't know though, he's just trying to be a dick about it.