• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos sign Kyle Fuller

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For whatever reason coaches love Cush. I don't know why but this is the third regime that is going to have him start at center despite the on field results.
Just like any other position, his results are magnified by the play around him.

One thing he's got going for him is his mind. He consistently impressed coaches with his protection calls.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like any other position, his results are magnified by the play around him.

One thing he's got going for him is his mind. He consistently impressed coaches with his protection calls.

Good post here. His mind, leadership skills and work ethic to become better. Cush has a lot of talent there is no doubt about that. He flashed good things at times (none of which we saw last year) I can think of worse players to give another chance to. That being said, he has been far from good so far. We have seen him have some good games (again not last year and not a lot of them) but he does have the ability to be good. He will be better with what is around him and while it not be great we may have to roll with it. Not a lot of upgrades at Center out there and remember we don't have a draft pick until rd 3.

This is an example of when you have good leadership skills, are a great teammate and a mindset to get better and work at getting better you are more likely to get more chances then someone who doesn't display these things. We spent a lot of money getting our OL better this offseason and we have done that. While I am not going into the season jumping for joy for Cush I can understand what Denver is doing here. He has a lot of room for growth with the skills and mindset he offers. Not much better out there and plugging 3-7 rd rookie in from day 1 just isn't how the NFL works. This aint a video game where you can make everything better on paper with the snap of a finger.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post here. His mind, leadership skills and work ethic to become better. Cush has a lot of talent there is no doubt about that. He flashed good things at times (none of which we saw last year) I can think of worse players to give another chance to. That being said, he has been far from good so far. We have seen him have some good games (again not last year and not a lot of them) but he does have the ability to be good. He will be better with what is around him and while it not be great we may have to roll with it. Not a lot of upgrades at Center out there and remember we don't have a draft pick until rd 3.

This is an example of when you have good leadership skills, are a great teammate and a mindset to get better and work at getting better you are more likely to get more chances then someone who doesn't display these things. We spent a lot of money getting our OL better this offseason and we have done that. While I am not going into the season jumping for joy for Cush I can understand what Denver is doing here. He has a lot of room for growth with the skills and mindset he offers. Not much better out there and plugging 3-7 rd rookie in from day 1 just isn't how the NFL works. This aint a video game where you can make everything better on paper with the snap of a finger.
I would place a fat bet that we will add another significant piece (or two) at IOL. Maybe it’s a draft pick with high ceiling and/out developable. Maybe a roster casualty from another team.

We’ll see!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would place a fat bet that we will add another significant piece (or two) at IOL. Maybe it’s a draft pick with high ceiling and/out developable. Maybe a roster casualty from another team.

We’ll see!

I don't know about "Significant" but I 100% agree that we will add to the OL. Significant would be nice though.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much better out there and plugging 3-7 rd rookie in from day 1 just isn't how the NFL works. This aint a video game where you can make everything better on paper with the snap of a finger.
But that's exactly what the Broncos did. They drafted Cushenberry in the third round and plugged him in from Day 1. In his second season he suffered a groin strain and went to IR. I don't recall if they tried someone else in there before he was hurt, but they kept trying other guys in there even after he had healed up. So it looks like last year's staff was willing to replace him going into the end of the season.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's exactly what the Broncos did. They drafted Cushenberry in the third round and plugged him in from Day 1. In his second season he suffered a groin strain and went to IR. I don't recall if they tried someone else in there before he was hurt, but they kept trying other guys in there even after he had healed up. So it looks like last year's staff was willing to replace him going into the end of the season.
They fired the shit out of the OL coach the first second that Hackett was off the property. Hard to say what was going on with the OL last year given that pearl.

I was pounding on ‘Cusion’berry all year+. I think we’re just going to have to see what the current administration can get out of this group.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They had Glasgow in there after he got hurt.

Cushenberry was placed on IR with his groin injury and then he became healthy enough to come off IR (according to him not a doctor) but Denver never activated him because he went down the depth chart. Glasgow then got hurt.

We don't know if Cushenberry was healthy enough to come back or not but that doesn't really matter. He struggled last year we all know that. The fact is this coaching staff sees something and thinks they can do something with him. Players do get better. Players do work better in others schemes, coaches do help players develop raw talent. It could be a number of things they see in him weather it is the fit, the system, the development. Either way they like him enough go give him another chance (or so they say) and we will see how it turns out.

Remember, last years start was willing to replace him going into the season not just at the end of the season. We should a ton of interest in centers in the draft last year. Cam Jurgens being the biggest.

My point isn't "we can't replace him with a draft pick", my point is "it is hard to replace him with a draft pick", we already don't pick until Round 3 and while I understand Cushenberry was drafted in Round 3 and started his rookie season, it really gets harder each and every round to find a rookie who can start straight out of the draft and we are already at a disadvantage having our first pick not be until Round 3.

In other words.

Cushenberry is not lock to start for us next year but he surely has a huge advantage barring some surprise draft picks or Center landing on our door step and that frankly looks bleak at this point.

Appears the staff has some confidence in him but nothing is going to be given to him. You just can't "replace" a guy with a worse player just because he "needs replaced".

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had Glasgow in there after he got hurt.

Cushenberry was placed on IR with his groin injury and then he became healthy enough to come off IR (according to him not a doctor) but Denver never activated him because he went down the depth chart. Glasgow then got hurt.

We don't know if Cushenberry was healthy enough to come back or not but that doesn't really matter. He struggled last year we all know that. The fact is this coaching staff sees something and thinks they can do something with him. Players do get better. Players do work better in others schemes, coaches do help players develop raw talent. It could be a number of things they see in him weather it is the fit, the system, the development. Either way they like him enough go give him another chance (or so they say) and we will see how it turns out.

Remember, last years start was willing to replace him going into the season not just at the end of the season. We should a ton of interest in centers in the draft last year. Cam Jurgens being the biggest.

My point isn't "we can't replace him with a draft pick", my point is "it is hard to replace him with a draft pick", we already don't pick until Round 3 and while I understand Cushenberry was drafted in Round 3 and started his rookie season, it really gets harder each and every round to find a rookie who can start straight out of the draft and we are already at a disadvantage having our first pick not be until Round 3.

In other words.

Cushenberry is not lock to start for us next year but he surely has a huge advantage barring some surprise draft picks or Center landing on our door step and that frankly looks bleak at this point.

Appears the staff has some confidence in him but nothing is going to be given to him. You just can't "replace" a guy with a worse player just because he "needs replaced".
I don't know. I don't know what they are thinking, and it's frustrating. Payton said something to the effect that Kush was viewed as the starter. But then how honest can we expect them to be heading into the draft? Is it too hard to believe that there's a better guy that might be available to us in the third if we don't tip our hand? I'm just sick of having a shitty O-Line.