• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos at '9ers

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok....so my take after the game-

1) I know Clady didn't play, but the OL looked generally like ass most of the game
2) Brock needs to learn to unload down the field, especially if he's got 1 on 1 coverage in some spots. If they bring 7 guys....you gotta make them pay for it with big plays down the field. I think I saw 2-3 times where I know he had man coverage on the outside......you gotta trust your guys to make plays. Other than that, I thought he looked pretty good.
3) Hillman nor Montee Ball impressed. I know they didn't get many touches, but whatevs...
4) Duke Ihenacho looks like Dashon Goldson. Huge and fast.
5) I was bummed neither Sly Williams or Ayers were mentioned hardly, if at all. I watched Ayers especially and he did nothing to impress me.
6) Lamar Thomas is one fast ass dude and could be a diamond in the rough if he gets reps
7) Philip Blake impressed me. I liked the pick when we made it.
8) Omar Bolden is gonna get cut. I know it was just one preseason game, but he just doesn't have IT (this might be a little much, but I saw him blow 3 plays he easily should've made)
9) We should let Dysert get a ton of action next game. I wanna see what that kid can do.
10) Nate Irving SHOULD and WILL win the Mike position. I love the way he gets side to side and he loves to hit.

That's it.....I know some of this stuff is questionable, but I'm bored this morning and thought I'd throw it out there. Love to hear what everybody else thinks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take away from the game:

Duke Ihenacho and Julius Thomas made some good plays. Seems like the training camp talk was legit.

CJ Anderson is making some noise. I know it was third string but he made some good moves. I hope we can see more of him.

Our o-line looked terrible all game. Aside from some running plays they could not stop anything the D-line was doing. That is a worrisome thought.

Hopefully this is just because it is preseason but our 1st string defense struggled with the 49ers 1st string offense and or 1st string offense got off to a slow start.

I cannot wait for the regular season.

Barrelman Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Take:

The OL looked miserable, but Hillman and Ball didn't help. Knowshon looked the best of the three, especially picking up the blitz. Will be interesting to see what happens with CJ Anderson in the next three games.

Osweiler threw very well on the run. He does need to take some shots deep. But also threw a nice touch pass to Julius Thomas while being pressured. I'm impressed.

This pass defense with Duke looks almost untouchable. And that was with not much pass rush.

Wasn't impressed with Bradley at all. He's slow in coverage and didn't make a huge impact in the backfield. Would like to see Steve Johnson get more reps next game.

Trindon Holliday will be huge again this season, while also making us scream at some points. But no way he loses that job.

I thought Ayers did okay. He made some tackles at the line, but didn't generate much of a pass rush. Was impressed with Malik Jackson. Our DTs didn't look too impressive honestly. Wolfe was invisible his only series.

And the most overlooked part of any team: Britton Colquitt is possibly the best directional punter in the league. That will be a very important, yet underrated, part of our season.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much agree with everything that's been said so far. Duke Ihenacho looked fantastic and he should definitely be starting opening night. The offensive line looked terrible, and because of that I don't see much point in evaluating the running backs. Bradley looked really slow, I'd much rather see Irving get time starting at mike. I thought Osweiller looked ok, but he didn't really have much time. Julius Thomas looked very good.

Hopefully we'll get Clady back soon and he can stabilize the line, because that could really blow up the season.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our first string running game didn't look great, but with this patchwork O-line, it's tough to judge a couple of pre-season series. Kapernick looked really good against our first string defense. That's a little worrisome to me. Our drafts in the last few years (Ayers, Wolfe, Williams, Smith, etc.) was targeted at fixing that. Not a great first game for any of them IMO.

Having said all of that, it's pre-season. Although it's great to see some of the new names get some reps and experience, I think trying to take away much from this game is an exercise in futility. We need our starting O-line to get healthy and go from there.

I'm still confident that the Broncos are going to be a very good team this season. Go Broncos!

MH64

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I saw Ayers a little different. I haven't watched the full game but he blew up one run play and when Kaepernick took off running it was because he and Wolfe had collapsed the pocket from the left side on him. He blew right by Staley and a less athletic quarterback would have been on his backside.

Player I was probably most disappointed in was Sly Williams. Been hearing all camp about how he has been blowing by guys and of all the players on the DL he looked the worst. Just could not get by his guy and created 0 push.

Really this game didn't show us much of anything. OL is not who will be starting the season so hard to judge the pass protection or 1st string run game. Hillman did look fast though so excited about that.

Defensively they were playing a zone defense most of that first drive and well that is not what they will be playing during the season since Del Rio loves to play press man coverage.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing that no one came close to mentioning the 4 turnovers our defense generated so far. If that carries over into the regular season it will be a BIG help to our offense.

The success of SF's running in the first series was slightly concerning. However, SF's O-line is very good at what they do, and I'd expect it to have success against anyone on the first few series. The key will be how our defense reacts when playing such a line in the regular season and playoffs. Considering all the shuffling going on, I didn't expect much from the O-Line this early. I think as we get guys healthy and get that line stable, it should improve. I figured after having 5 OL injured to different degrees there would be time needed to right the ship again.

As for Manziel...... HELL NO!!! Unless there's a big change in his attitude this season (if he isn't declared ineligible in the process) and he matures significantly, he's going to flame out big in the NFL. Osweiler looked decent to me.

It was a messy, first preseason game. Teams very rarely have all cylinders firing this early, and most of the teams who dominate preseason end up 4-12 when the real action starts. So I'm not overly concerned at this point. The big takeaway for me (pun intended) is the fact we generated 4 turnovers. Come the regular season and playoffs, that will be HUGE.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot a couple of observations. The first drive for our offense it looked like we were experimenting with a few new formations hence using the Pistol formation at one point.

Second and most importantly is there were no serious injuries to our team! Always get a little nervous when watching these preseason games that especially some OL player is going to take a shot to a knee and go down for the season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing that no one came close to mentioning the 4 turnovers our defense generated so far. If that carries over into the regular season it will be a BIG help to our offense.

The success of SF's running in the first series was slightly concerning. However, SF's O-line is very good at what they do, and I'd expect it to have success against anyone on the first few series. The key will be how our defense reacts when playing such a line in the regular season and playoffs. Considering all the shuffling going on, I didn't expect much from the O-Line this early. I think as we get guys healthy and get that line stable, it should improve. I figured after having 5 OL injured to different degrees there would be time needed to right the ship again.

As for Manziel...... HELL NO!!! Unless there's a big change in his attitude this season (if he isn't declared ineligible in the process) and he matures significantly, he's going to flame out big in the NFL. Osweiler looked decent to me.

It was a messy, first preseason game. Teams very rarely have all cylinders firing this early, and most of the teams who dominate preseason end up 4-12 when the real action starts. So I'm not overly concerned at this point. The big takeaway for me (pun intended) is the fact we generated 4 turnovers. Come the regular season and playoffs, that will be HUGE.

You are right the turnovers were huge. Del Rio said that he emphasized the idea of generating turnovers this off season. The Broncos last year were 3rd in Forced Fumbles but 19th in actual recovered fumbles. That is just ridiculous. The defense looks to be kind of like our Superbowl years in being very opportunistic.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock Osweiler looked decent... when he had time. Anytime the rush got to him, he looked flustered and indecisive. It also appeared that he looked to pull the ball down and run in those situations. Gotta stand tall in the pocket and make a throw. Makes me think Dysert should be #2. But, he's got 3 more games to show that he can handle a pass rush. He did look good going to Julius Thomas, though. Could be a big year for JT.

Running game was just kinda meh. At least until C.J. Anderson showed up. Boy, that guy looks tough and tried hard to get extra yards. Didn't go down on first contact once. That's great to see, and he obviously is going hard for a spot on the 53.

Loved the turnovers. Very encouraging to see. Defense was pretty good overall. The first drive was a bit rough, but that's not unexpected going against a QB the caliber of Colin Kaepernick.

Special teams was o.k. for the most part. My only problem, Trindon Holliday: do not catch a punt at the 2 yard line. Don't ever, ever do that. Not even in preseason. What a boneheaded play.

Nice game and good to see the Broncos win. Even if it is just preseason.

Go Broncos!

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very little reason to watch the 1st preseason game! Everyone knows the starters play a decent amount only in the 2nd and 3rd preseason games. The 1st and 4th games are pretty much worthless.

But I will say that it's not good that the OL has so many problems. When you have an old broken down QB like Manning, a good OL is a MUST!! Manning has the mobility of a lamp post. We all remember Manning's bad performance in the playoff game against the Steelers years ago when he was a Colt. He complained about his OL after the game. In fact he whined like a women! So we better hope this OL shapes up. If not, Elway will regret not keeping the wonderfuly mobile Tebow. God Bless real American's that work hard for a living...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very little reason to watch the 1st preseason game! Everyone knows the starters play a decent amount only in the 2nd and 3rd preseason games. The 1st and 4th games are pretty much worthless.

But I will say that it's not good that the OL has so many problems. When you have an old broken down QB like Manning, a good OL is a MUST!! Manning has the mobility of a lamp post. We all remember Manning's bad performance in the playoff game against the Steelers years ago when he was a Colt. He complained about his OL after the game. In fact he whined like a women! So we better hope this OL shapes up. If not, Elway will regret not keeping the wonderfuly mobile Tebow. God Bless real American's that work hard for a living...

This looks a lot like AmericanChampionRedemption. Crazy as a loon troll from ESPN boards. Keep an eye on this one......

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This looks a lot like AmericanChampionRedemption. Crazy as a loon troll from ESPN boards. Keep an eye on this one......

yeah south, it`s unfortunate that the likes of some can always find a way to poison good things.:gaah:

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's a confirmed Tebowite

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the ignore option here. If I wanted to hear retarded non-sense I would watch Honey Boo Boo.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah south, it`s unfortunate that the likes of some can always find a way to poison good things.:gaah:

Not to worry, anybody as crazy as AmericanChampionRedemption will not last long on SportsHoopla. The dude is crazy as bat shit.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOOK people, I'm not looking for trouble. I'm just a simple man, sitting here behind the computer typing some thoughts while eating ritz crackers. I'm here to discuss football. I'm not doing anything that isn't within the rules. YES I wish Elway had kept Tebow instead of bring in the Broken Neck. But I sincerely hope I'm wrong about Manning failing with the Broncos. I'd love to see a championship!! But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to express my concerns about having an old broken down QB, when we could have had a young leader like Tebow. God Bless the United States of America...