• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brees' Contract situation

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So I kept on hearing people on the radio say that if Brees gets tagged aagain next offseason, he'll get am 144% pay increase. This is not true! He'll get a 44% pay increase, not 144%. His pay is not going to more than double. It'll be 144% of his current pay, but that doens't amount to an 144% pay increase.

This whole time I thought his pay would go from 16ish million to 38ish million if he were tagged next year (meaning there'd be no way they'd tag him).

So he'll really have a salary of something like 23+ million next year if he's tagged, which isn't much more than what he's demanding per season to begin with.

I had maybe 3% of my hopes up that he might just play out the year and hit URFA next offseason. The Niners + Brees would be unstoppable. The biggest FA the Niners are going to have next offseason looks like Sopoaga (if memory serves).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so now the question is..............how high do you draft him in fantasy football? :-)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think Brees could've gotten a lot more if he stuck it out & played the season under his tag salary. I think New Orleans would've tacked on another 10 million if he held out. I would if I were the Taints.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Brees could've gotten a lot more if he stuck it out & played the season under his tag salary. I think New Orleans would've tacked on another 10 million if he held out. I would if I were the Taints.

a franchise QB is certainly valuable, but a team can only go so high? its the same thinking as the 49ers, they set a price and stick to it.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think so. His age was not an asset in these negotiations and adding one more year to that equation would have hurt him. Considering his age and the guaranteed money - this is an excellent contract!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't think so. His age was not an asset in these negotiations and adding one more year to that equation would have hurt him. Considering his age and the guaranteed money - this is an excellent contract!

I think the leverage would have been the possibility of hitting URFA the in 2014. And even an old QB would be worth his weight in the stuff to which Greg Wililams refers by rubbing his index finger & thumb together (if he's a top 5 guy). Brees is arguably the best QB in football (I think an argument could be made for Eli at this point too). Look how much gimpy old man Peyton got.

If Brees left New Orleans their days of competing for SBs would be over immediately. If were the Taints and he held out, I'd offer up to about 10 million more than he got.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the leverage would have been the possibility of hitting URFA the in 2014. And even an old QB would be worth his weight in the stuff to which Greg Wililams refers by rubbing his index finger & thumb together (if he's a top 5 guy). Brees is arguably the best QB in football (I think an argument could be made for Eli at this point too). Look how much gimpy old man Peyton got.

If Brees left New Orleans their days of competing for SBs would be over immediately. If were the Taints and he held out, I'd offer up to about 10 million more than he got.

I'm personally glad that he didn't get that 10 million extra, because I don't think we could afford more than $110 million when we extend Alex.

No, I am not being serious.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So just a random comment on Brees...

Brees bucked so many trends. He was a 2nd round pick who went to a crappy team, and he was awful the first 3 years. And it's not like he was an uber-talented QB who finally matured; he has one of the worst tangible skill sets in the NFL.

I never though Brees would become anywhere near as good as he is, but it just goes to show how important accuracy and quick decision making is (and having weird looking facial growths removed of course).

Makes me just a TINY bit optimistic about Alex. Just a tiny. Like a single molecule of optimism.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Brees bucked so many trends. He was a 2nd round pick who went to a crappy team, and he was awful the first 3 years. And it's not like he was an uber-talented QB who finally matured; he has one of the worst tangible skill sets in the NFL.

I never though Brees would become anywhere near as good as he is, but it just goes to show how important accuracy and quick decision making is (and having weird looking facial growths removed of course).

Makes me just a TINY bit optimistic about Alex. Just a tiny. Like a single molecule of optimism.

Yeah, Brees is one of the reasons I think Alex COULD make a real jump. Not expecting it, not really even hoping for it, but if it happens, man wouldn't it be sweet? Brees and Brady are both physically unimpressive - or at least not impressive - guys who have been sensational. It just goes to show there's more to the game than a big arm.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disclaimer: This is not a claim that getting these numbers = Brees or better. This was just for fun.

Alex has started 70 games in his career. In order for Alex to play better statistically than Brees, he would need to have these numbers next year in games 71-86:

388-597, 65%, 3952 yards, 6.6 ypa, 25 TDs, 16 INTs, 86.6 QBR.

Again, this does not mean anything, I just wondered given the numbers. All of these statistics are obtainable for Smith, IMO, but the percentage is unlikely, and we may not throw enough to get that many yards (ypa he's already exceeded twice in his career.) Both Smith and Brees have left games injured, so I didn't separate or remove any from Brees due to playing less than a full game (Brees threw 5 passes in one the games).

Of course, when Alex wasn't playing, he was still learning, so a real benchmark would be based upon the 8th year in the NFL:

413-635, 65%, 5069 yards, 8.0 ypa, 34 TDs, 17 INTs, 96.2

There's no way Smith could get that many yards or TDs, IMO. He could conceivably get the 8.0 ypa Brees got, but that's not likely (Smith's best is 7.1). He could perhaps get to 65% but I'm not betting he will (61.3 is best). 96.2 is obtainable for Smith, as would 2/1 TD/INT ratio, but he'd have to be pretty consistent. None of these are probable (TD/INT ratio is more manageable), but all of them independantly are possible, besides the yards and TDs, IMO.

If Smith got any of those stat lines with our defense, running team, and special teams, our team would be likely just as good record-wise as Brees' teams were.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Smith got any of those stat lines with our defense, running team, and special teams, our team would be likely just as good record-wise as Brees' teams were.

The above is supposed to be:

If Smith got any of those stat lines with our defense, running team, and special teams, our team would be likely better record-wise than Brees' teams were in that span and would be as good if not better than the past few Saints teams.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, I'm certainly willing to believe Brees could have got an extra $10m much more so than I am willing to believe Eli is arguably the best QB in the NFL. ;)

As for Eli's brother - I'm not sure of all the details of Peyton's deal but I'm sure it has more clauses than shopping malls at Christmas time.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be one nervous wreck if I were Green Bay's GM after that contract. If Brees and Manning get that at their age, Rodgers is going to get even more, maybe $22-25 million range per season. No reason why he shouldn't put up another MVP type season, and I'd have to think eventually he is going to pull his head out of his ass and realize that the Packers just made $40 million of profit off of him last year alone, and stand to make just as much or more profit off of him again this year.

I haven't decided if Rodgers is being an honorable guy, or a complete fool. One could make an argument for each case. With a career ending injury waiting behind every snap, I think he is being a bit foolish.

Last edited by a moderator: