• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking news: Tulo to the Jays

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever seen Reyes' injury history?

I have. It's shitty. That's what I was telling you when the Jays acquired him.

Now, consider this:

Whether you want to look at last year, the last two years, the last three years, the last five years, entire careers, Reyes has averaged more games per season than Tulo.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This reminds me a lot of the conversation we had back when Popodopolopolus took all that crap from the Marlins.

I'm not trying to pop your balloon, I'm just telling you how I see it. I hope this deal works out better for the Jays.
I was overly optimistic on that trade, as you know. I also think it's fair that even if you assumed the worst that Josh Johnson wouldn't evaporate into a steaming pile of dog shit in an instant. If he is even just good enough for a qualifying offer the Jays still don't look terrible coming out of that deal.

I just look at Reyes and Tulo and see Tulo as the better player by a country mile. Given the circumstance ($20 mil invested in a bad SS) it's impossible for me to see this as anything other than an upgrade. Injury concerns are fair, but there were just as many concerns with Reyes so as a fan what am I losing here.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, but Reyes' contract isn't on the hook for 5 more years after this season (just 2). There's the big difference.
Sucks for management to have to do their jobs and crunch numbers and be good negotiators. Not my problem. Got the better player.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to worry about the later years anyway. Colorado's covering that!

I guess that's, like, $7.50 Canadian...

:think:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was overly optimistic on that trade, as you know..

As I feel you are with this trade.

I also think it's fair that even if you assumed the worst that Josh Johnson wouldn't evaporate into a steaming pile of dog shit in an instant.

Bullshit. Noted FN Marlins homer, MarlinsFan, had already given up on Johnson by the time that trade went down. When an unabashed Marlins homer finally shits on Johnson, an unbiased fan should have long ago.

I just look at Reyes and Tulo and see Tulo as the better player by a country mile.

I'd agree, but I also see Tulo as being more fragile.

Injury concerns are fair, but there were just as many concerns with Reyes so as a fan what am I losing here.

There it is, in bold. Because Tulo is your new guy, you aren't looking at his durability objectively, just like you didn't when Reyes was your new guy.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is only slightly about offense and far more about defense. Reyes can't make routine outs. Tulo can.

Time to get pitching.

I've been hearing that quite a bit today. He was an excellent SS in NY, he's really fallen off.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I feel you are with this trade.

Bullshit. Noted FN Marlins homer, MarlinsFan, had already given up on Johnson by the time that trade went down. When an unabashed Marlins homer finally shits on Johnson, an unbiased fan should have long ago.

I'd agree, but I also see Tulo as being more fragile.

There it is, in bold. Because Tulo is your new guy, you aren't looking at his durability objectively, just like you didn't when Reyes was your new guy.
There was a difference when I was comparing Reyes to that moron Escobar - Reyes was better, but much more of an injury risk. And while I defended the trade, I never tried to argue that Reyes was injury-prone and playing at RC maybe is the worst thing for that (although he never got any turf-related injuries here).

But going from Reyes to Tulo it's injury-prone guy to injury-prone guy who's better but is signed until he moves to Ft. Myers and buys a Buick. I'm fine with that trade-off.

It's also worth pointing out that Tulo can DH in Toronto should his body no longer be suitable for fielding.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets don't want anyone they actually have to pay or give up a decent prospect for
Which is fine. They can do something with this season but it sure as shit isn't worth mortgaging the future for. That rotation is gonna be fya for years.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been hearing that quite a bit today. He was an excellent SS in NY, he's really fallen off.
Which was why I was excited to have him when he came here. He wasn't always this bad but you noticed it more last summer and this year he's just broken it looks like.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is fine. They can do something with this season but it sure as shit isn't worth mortgaging the future for. That rotation is gonna be fya for years.

The not giving up good prospects I have no issue with but there has to be a salary dump out there to help their anemic offense in the short term.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks for management to have to do their jobs and crunch numbers and be good negotiators. Not my problem. Got the better player.

The better player isn't always the better choice if you have to overpay/commit to a much longer deal. Those longer term deals rarely workout well and the final few years of the deal is often a lost cause.

I mean, I'd rather have Cole Hamels for 3 years rather than David Price for 7 years (which is the type of deal he'll likely sign to), even if Price may be the better pitcher.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also worth pointing out that Tulo can DH in Toronto should his body no longer be suitable for fielding.

This is what you're missing - if you want his bat in the lineup consistently, the time for DHing him is now because his body has proven time and again its not suitable for fielding.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a gamble, but there was always the possibility he could turn it around. Plus, the Jays got Buehrle, who has been nonstop Buehrle.

I did like Alvarez, though. Didn't want to see him leave.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The better player isn't always the better choice if you have to overpay/commit to a much longer deal. Those longer term deals rarely workout well and the final few years of the deal is often a lost cause.

Danny doesn't care about that. He'll point out that it's not his money.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean, I'd rather have Cole Hamels for 3 years rather than David Price for 7 years (which is the type of deal he'll likely sign to), even if Price may be the better pitcher.
If it is, it is. Worry about it in 4 years. Jays are better today than they were yesterday.