• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking News: Satelite camps shut down immediately

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only evidence i need is this

NCAA bans satellite camps effective immediately

And specifically this part of the article.

"The Big Ten was the only Power 5 conference that was in favor of satellite camps, a source told ESPN."

Seems like you want to parade one off coaches and articles while the issue seems to be shown that the MAJORITY voted against. So there is that.
There's also the fact that there is a huge number of national media guys saying that every conference that voted against the camps aside from the ACC and SEC actually hurt themselves, but I don't expect you to have a rational discussion.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you don't like Leach, but this was interesting...

Meanwhile, one Power Five coach said his league voted against the wishes of most of the schools in his league. In an interview Monday with myself and Jack Arute on Playbook on SiriusXM’s College Sports Nation, Washington State coach Mike Leach said most schools in the Pac-12 were for satellite camps. ESPN’s Brett McMurphy previously reported that the Pac-12 voted in favor of the ban, and Leach isn’t sure how that could have happened. Common sense dictates that only UCLA, USC and maybe Arizona State would want to ban such camps to protect their recruiting turf. The Pac-12’s representative on the Division I management council is UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero. A UCLA spokesman said Guerrero would not be made available to explain the Pac-12’s vote and that all questions should be referred to Northwestern athletic director Jim Phillips, the acting spokesman for the committee.

Why satellite camp ban brings unintended problem

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also the fact that there is a huge number of national media guys saying that every conference that voted against the camps aside from the ACC and SEC actually hurt themselves, but I don't expect you to have a rational discussion.

I listen to the media on issues about as often as i take the word of fans who wreak of butthurt because the issue didnt fall their way. I honestly couldnt care less about camps because my team doesnt need them and others have found it hard to take Bama's recruits away so them being worried about a camp in their territory doesnt compute at all. Better coaches than Harbaugh and Riley have tried and failed.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listen to the media on issues about as often as i take the word of fans who wreak of butthurt because the issue didnt fall their way. I honestly couldnt care less about camps because my team doesnt need them and others have found it hard to take Bama's recruits away so them being worried about a camp in their territory doesnt compute at all. Better coaches than Harbaugh and Riley have tried and failed.
I don't know if you've noticed, but we are doing a pretty darn good job on the recruiting trail for Nebraska (especially considering the poor season we had). We don't need the camps either. I've said that from the beginning of this conversation. I think it's messed up for the recruits.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another interesting tidbit from this article:
Group of Five assistants could file an antitrust suit against the NCAA, the SEC, the ACC and all the other leagues that voted for the ban. Because lower-level coaches are paid to work the camps, they could claim these entities colluded to take away an opportunity for them to earn money that the entities would have paid to them without the ban. If you don’t believe this would work, read about what happened when the schools tried to use NCAA rules to cap certain coaches’ earnings.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only evidence i need is this

NCAA bans satellite camps effective immediately

And specifically this part of the article.

"The Big Ten was the only Power 5 conference that was in favor of satellite camps, a source told ESPN."

Seems like you want to parade one off coaches and articles while the issue seems to be shown that the MAJORITY voted against. So there is that.
I don't buy the concept of satellite camps being a major part of recruiting or A necessity Its not the camps that were even the problem it was a few coaches exploiting them. And one coach putting A lot of exposure on A loop hole that was being abused. Using the tag the U of M Tampa to set up shop in Florida :L Other schools recruit just fine without exploiting camps that are meant for the kids rather than benefitting the school. Seems to me the outrage over the ban should be directed at the coaches that exploited it. They are the ones who ruined it for these kids. Not Saban,or any of the conferences who voted against satellite camps

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lots of Maybes's and conjecture in that articles. I would have no issue with the NCAA walking back the part of the rule that stops G5 schools from working P5 camps. I see great value in this since those schools dont have the large budgets. The NCAA got this part wrong, but P5 schools should not be able to do what Harbaugh was trying to do. He was crossing lines and flaunting it and the last thing he wanted or needed was for the SEC to release its teams to do the same thing he was trying. He might not ever get a top flight recruit again if the SEC let its best recruiting teams loose in his region holding camps.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of Maybes's and conjecture in that articles. I would have no issue with the NCAA walking back the part of the rule that stops G5 schools from working P5 camps. I see great value in this since those schools dont have the large budgets. The NCAA got this part wrong, but P5 schools should not be able to do what Harbaugh was trying to do. He was crossing lines and flaunting it and the last thing he wanted or needed was for the SEC to release its teams to do the same thing he was trying. He might not ever get a top flight recruit again if the SEC let its best recruiting teams loose in his region holding camps.
My whole question is WHY NOT? What is it hurting? It's helping the kids get more exposure and it's bringing more recruits to G5 schools' camps. Those are two pretty big benefits. What are the drawbacks?

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My whole question is WHY NOT? What is it hurting? It's helping the kids get more exposure and it's bringing more recruits to G5 schools' camps. Those are two pretty big benefits. What are the drawbacks?
The camps are for the benefit of the coaches because of how the camps affect recruiting. They are nt for the benefit of the student athletes. Don't kid yourself.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy the concept of satellite camps being a major part of recruiting or A necessity Its not the camps that were even the problem it was a few coaches exploiting them. And one coach putting A lot of exposure on A loop hole that was being abused. Using the tag the U of M Tampa to set up shop in Florida :L Other schools recruit just fine without exploiting camps that are meant for the kids rather than benefitting the school. Seems to me the outrage over the ban should be directed at the coaches that exploited it. They are the ones who ruined it for these kids. Not Saban,or any of the conferences who voted against satellite camps

Exactly. Its funny that the people who are whining about this the most(fans that is) are teams who have benefited from these camps.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they benefit the student athletes?
If a kid wants to go to a camp for a week, drill on fundamentals, work on skills, etc., then yes - they benefit the kids. But a single day workshop does nothing but give the kids additional chances to impress coaches who are too lazy to seek out film or other data on the kids. What Harbaugh was doing with his one-day stops was not ever for the benefit of the kids. It was all so he could broaden his recruiting base.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Its funny that the people who are whining about this the most(fans that is) are teams who have benefited from these camps.
The camps were intended to benefit the kids. When coaches turned them into recruiting tools. They corrupted the original intentions of the camps. This is why the coaches have been banned from the camps. If there is any outrage direct it at the coaches who abused it.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a kid wants to go to a camp for a week, drill on fundamentals, work on skills, etc., then yes - they benefit the kids. But a single day workshop does nothing but give the kids additional chances to impress coaches who are too lazy to seek out film or other data on the kids. What Harbaugh was doing with his one-day stops was not ever for the benefit of the kids. It was all so he could broaden his recruiting base.
:dingdingding:

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The camps were intended to benefit the kids. When coaches turned them into recruiting tools. They corrupted the original intentions of the camps. This is why the coaches have been banned from the camps. If there is any outrage direct it at the coaches who abused it.

Exactly. The premise that the SEC and ACC acted in their own best interest is a "duh" moment in reality. The coaches like Harbaugh who were exploiting the loophole and creating this issue into a bigger one was acting in his own best interest as well and skirting a rule by a thin line. So if anyone should be being piled on here its Harbaugh for trying to make a mockery of this whole thing and now causing this rule to be enacted to stop his outlandish behavior and flaunting in front of the NCAA.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bootle earns Nebraska offer at satellite camp

:noidea: Helped this one. There are several other examples that have spoken out since the ruling.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing Nebraska was looking out for the kids here and not their own interest.
Yep, sounds like the school was the only one that benefited from this...
“I felt that I performed well at the camp. I had a chance to showcase my speed, my ability to get in and out of breaks, my ability to attack the ball,” said Bootle. “Hopefully only good can from it. They said they would be in contact with me in the near future. We will definitely be in touch.”

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The premise that the SEC and ACC acted in their own best interest is a "duh" moment in reality. The coaches like Harbaugh who were exploiting the loophole and creating this issue into a bigger one was acting in his own best interest as well and skirting a rule by a thin line. So if anyone should be being piled on here its Harbaugh for trying to make a mockery of this whole thing and now causing this rule to be enacted to stop his outlandish behavior and flaunting in front of the NCAA.
And the other 2 P5 conferences followed suit. In the interest of what is best for the whole. These camps were not intended as recruiting tools when that line was crossed the camps were corrupted

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, sounds like the school was the only one that benefited from this...

Yes, like I said - it's a good thing Nebraska was looking out for the kids with these camps rather than their own interests. It's a prime example for the rest of college football.