• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking News: Satelite camps shut down immediately

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking about OSU/MSU, or Bama/Ole Miss?

It's crazy, the two most outrageous plays of the CFB season dramatically altered the seasons for OSU and Bama, and neither team was even involved with either play. If michigan doesn't blow it against Sparty, OSU is in the CFP. If Arkansas doesn't pull off the absurd 4th and forever play against Ole Miss, Bama misses out. I'm not saying OSU deserved the conference title or CFP nod over MSU; they didn't. However, they were the best of the B1G last year.

See, i am an agreeable fan. I know that had Saban not followed the Kiffin plan and instead started Coker in the Ole Miss game we win going away. I also know that tOSU got jobbed last year. No team controls their own destiny unless they win out and go undefeated. Bama nor tOSU had that going for them last years but Bama's fortunes turned on that one play. Bama was a strong team all year, they got stronger as the year went on and it took one hell of a performance by our offense to defeat what was likely the best team in the NCAA last year in them tigers from Clemson. Once again I will take Saban in a title game over anyone, he is the master when it comes to those games.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That number 1 recruiting class comes from multiple states. not just his base in the South. Last year or the year before it was 14 or 15 states and i dont think its ever been less than 12 different states. He recruits nationally from coast to coast and border to border. So dont let them protecting their area be a fallacy you hang your hat on because it wasnt just the SEC that voted this down(or didnt you know that yet). Hate to burst your bubble, but until you come up with a dollar to recruit ratio for these camps, you wont have the real reason they were voted down. When you get it you will see why the NCAA took a long look and allowed it to be voted on for banning.
And I know it is a national class for Bama, but it all starts with the SEC territories. 16 of 24 recruits this past year are from SEC territory.

And you won't hear me argue one bit that Saban is one of, if not, the best recruiter in college football.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlimited texting is now allowed?! The NCAA needs to apologize to IUBB. Kalvin Sampson was just ahead of his time by about a decade.

As for banning satellite camps, the NCAA has always been against giving student athletes too many options/exposure, for example limiting the amount of official visits they can take to five.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am i wrong, yes or no? Urban did not beat MSU, so they got the nod as your best of the conference. Like it or not you have nothing else but to say no and agree that MSU was the best you could send.

But, but, but, Urban's playcalling sucked that day. It don't count.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love hearing the SEC fans saying it is about money, etc. The complaints were filed for one reason and one reason only -- to protect their recruiting areas.
It only became a big deal when it went from coaches like Mike Riley and James Franklin to Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh doing it.

I agree with the blue blood schools having the money to do it, but guess what -- that is the case for EVERYTHING in regards to recruiting, so that is nothing more than an excuse. Are they going to ban private jets because other schools can't afford them? Helicopters? Maybe make all coaches fly coach on recruiting trips and have to stay at the red roof Inn to make it fair.

The complaints were filed by the ACC. And then 4 out 5 P5 conferences voted in favor of it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean more for the schools like in the MAC, for instance - Toledo, Akron, BGSU, Kent State, Miami (OH), the directional michigan schools, all who are just a couple hours drive or so away from Columbus. They benefited a lot from the camps in Columbus when they could just take the short trip and get exposure to scout prospects they wouldn't have the chance to otherwise.

But you are only talking about a few examples among many. Along these same lines basically all recruiting rules could be considered bad, even though they are all done for the purpose of trying to make things more fair/even.

What about the teams not in that area for example?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, i am an agreeable fan. I know that had Saban not followed the Kiffin plan and instead started Coker in the Ole Miss game we win going away. I also know that tOSU got jobbed last year. No team controls their own destiny unless they win out and go undefeated. Bama nor tOSU had that going for them last years but Bama's fortunes turned on that one play. Bama was a strong team all year, they got stronger as the year went on and it took one hell of a performance by our offense to defeat what was likely the best team in the NCAA last year in them tigers from Clemson. Once again I will take Saban in a title game over anyone, he is the master when it comes to those games.
I agree with everything you said, and I sure hope to see Urban test your theory this season. :suds:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The complaints were filed by the ACC. And then 4 out 5 P5 conferences voted in favor of it.
Who was the conference who came out and started bitching about first? You can point the finger elsewhere, but you know, as well as I, the SEC is a cash cow for the NCAA and if they want something done, it gets done.

The only time they will rule against them is if it is something blatant, which is the only reason tye bump rule was put in place.

If it were about fair play or dollar figures for recruiting -- they'd be banning all the perks the blue bloods have and the almost unlimited amount of money they can spend recruiting and set the same limit for everyone

It isn't like it is a secret that the SEC is king right now for football. Anything they want (to a certain point) they will get.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you are only talking about a few examples among many. Along these same lines basically all recruiting rules could be considered bad, even though they are all done for the purpose of trying to make things more fair/even.
I see where you're coming from to an extent, but I don't see how it's unfair that a school travels to another school's camp to scout prospects. That has benefitted tons of kids in recent years (which has been echoed in the twitter outrage by a lot of these kids), so I didn't see anything wrong with it. It's not the same as a coach packing up and holding a camp out of state somewhere, so I think that part should've been articulated more in the new rule.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlimited texting is now allowed?! The NCAA needs to apologize to IUBB. Kalvin Sampson was just ahead of his time by about a decade.

As for banning satellite camps, the NCAA has always been against giving student athletes too many options/exposure, for example limiting the amount of official visits they can take to five.
This is so stupid and I bet they stop this sooner rather than later. Every coach will be handing their phones to grad assistants to text recruits on a daily basis. They will be walking out of school each day with 50 new text messages from coaches.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see where you're coming from to an extent, but I don't see how it's unfair that a school travels to another school's camp to scout prospects. That has benefitted tons of kids in recent years (which has been echoed in the twitter outrage by a lot of these kids), so I didn't see anything wrong with it. It's not the same as a coach packing up and holding a camp out of state somewhere, so I think that part should've been articulated more in the new rule.

The number of kids speaking out about is way less than even 1% of the total number of kids put on scholarship.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was the conference who came out and started bitching about first? You can point the finger elsewhere, but you know, as well as I, the SEC is a cash cow for the NCAA and if they want something done, it gets done.

The only time they will rule against them is if it is something blatant, which is the only reason tye bump rule was put in place.

If it were about fair play or dollar figures for recruiting -- they'd be banning all the perks the blue bloods have and the almost unlimited amount of money they can spend recruiting and set the same limit for everyone

It isn't like it is a secret that the SEC is king right now for football. Anything they want (to a certain point) they will get.
ACC brings formal proposal to end satellite camps • /r/CFB

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that may have been influenced by Harbaugh holding florida camps. Under the guise of The U of M Tampa .One of several ploys to bend the rules and many reasons the loophole needed to be closed. Its practices like this that killed satellite camps

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The number of kids speaking out about is way less than even 1% of the total number of kids put on scholarship.
Well you're also assuming that every kid that disagrees is going to take to Twitter and we're going to find out about it.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am i wrong, yes or no? Urban did not beat MSU, so they got the nod as your best of the conference. Like it or not you have nothing else but to say no and agree that MSU was the best you could send.
MSU did beat tOSU last year but Bama did lose too. Teams change from week to week and anyone can see that tOSU got their heads out of their asses after the MSU loss. Just a game too late. I dont think Bama/tOSU would have been the same score.