• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking News: Satelite camps shut down immediately

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC fans like myself dont care about satellite camps. Our top recruiting rankings each year are done without them and Saban and company would not gain anything by spending even more time at camps. The merits of such camps has not been shown by any studies so far, so honestly dollar for dollar is it better to go an pinpoint kids individually or waste money spending a few days with kids who may or may not have an interest or capability of getting into your school in the first place.

Come a point when idiocy and bright ideas collide and this one appears to be the point.
You may not care, but I would say it certainly appears like many fans DO care. If Alabama doesn't want to do camps, fine. You're right, they don't need them. However, the negative repercussions for both G5 schools and the recruits themselves is not worth banning the camps IMO.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may not care, but I would say it certainly appears like many fans DO care. If Alabama doesn't want to do camps, fine. You're right, they don't need them. However, the negative repercussions for both G5 schools and the recruits themselves is not worth banning the camps IMO.
And thats why its such a great world, its your opinion. Unfortunately you are not the NCAA and they based their decision on facts and numbers that you may not be privileged to, so my guess is now you will have another comment that doesnt make a difference. Plain and simple, this issue is resolved and it was not the doings of the SEC, it was actually a host of conferences and they all voted it down aside from a select couple.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And thats why its such a great world, its your opinion. Unfortunately you are not the NCAA and they based their decision on facts and numbers that you may not be privileged to, so my guess is now you will have another comment that doesnt make a difference. Plain and simple, this issue is resolved and it was not the doings of the SEC, it was actually a host of conferences and they all voted it down aside from a select couple.
Guess we should shut down the message board because our opinions aren't going to change anything.

In all seriousness, that is exactly what makes this whole thing interesting. Only 2 of the conferences voted in the best interest of the majority of their conferences, those being the SEC and ACC. All of the G5 conferences will be hurt by this. The Big 12 minus the Texas schools and the Pac 12 minus the LA schools will be hurt by this. So why did they vote against it?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we should shut down the message board because our opinions aren't going to change anything.

In all seriousness, that is exactly what makes this whole thing interesting. Only 2 of the conferences voted in the best interest of the majority of their conferences, those being the SEC and ACC. All of the G5 conferences will be hurt by this. The Big 12 minus the Texas schools and the Pac 12 minus the LA schools will be hurt by this. So why did they vote against it?
As I mentioned before, this is the part that sucks. It was a great way for some of those schools to be able to get a glimpse at a lot of players that they otherwise might not have had the opportunity to.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So now you are pretending to know what's in everyone's best interest?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I mentioned before, this is the part that sucks. It was a great way for some of those schools to be able to get a glimpse at a lot of players that they otherwise might not have had the opportunity to.

Actually, the G5 schools and lower budget schools are the reason the camps were banned to start with.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can I get cliff notes on this thread? Specifically, are B1G fans being sensible?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My guess is if they thought if would hurt them they would not have voted to the negative. As I stated before, this was not done on opinion based voting, it was done on hard numbers based on cost to recruit ratio from these camps and apparently its not enough of a boom to make it something they wanted to invest in. Believe it or not, these departments do weigh numbers on every little item or we would not know what the recruiting budgets of many of these schools happens to be. I read a while back that Alabama spends in excess of almost 2 million on recruiting in all its forms. Add in camps and coaching flights and this figure goes up. When is enough enough?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And with those players Harbaugh hopes to only lose 2 games this year

My guess is, those players will be more useful in years 2 and 3, when starters aren't returning. Gary could be the only one to make an immediate impact.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be a little bit. Only Brandon Peters was an early enrollee.
So we will be here. Think about this though, you sent the best you had from the B1G last year and do you remember the score of the last game that team played in? Need I remind you it was not pretty. Still a big task to take down the best of the best even with top flight recruits, it takes coaching and I dont remember Harbaugh ever winning a BCS title or national title, do you?

Its one thing to bring in top names and players, its quite another to make them a team.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must've missed that part.

It's not cheap to fly your staff all over the country to set these things up etc. So the schools with the money are the ones that benefit the most which puts the schools on tight budgets out of the loop.

The whole thing makes recruiting even more shady than it already is and makes the entire thing an arms race. The blue blood schools wouldn't be the ones left out. If they had shown to have real effect while not being banned, Saban would have had 100 camps over the summer.

And of course, the whole "getting exposure" angle and "all about the kids" angle is bullshit as well. Just people throwing out what they think is the easy excuse. You don't see Harbaugh looking for those diamonds in the rough in places like Montana for example. They are just looking to get next to the 4 and 5 star kids, which is why they come to the recruiting hotbeds, where it's nothing but kids who get exposure, rather than the places where they likely wouldn't.