• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brady vs Montana

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is, in my opinion, like comparing apples to oranges. I Will say that Brady is the best QB of his era, and of Modern football, but Montana played in a day when QB's took hits and there wasnt as much protection for QB's.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is, in my opinion, like comparing apples to oranges. I Will say that Brady is the best QB of his era, and of Modern football, but Montana played in a day when QB's took hits and there wasnt as much protection for QB's.

Or WRs. Brady's current offense is MUCH easier to run than the original WCO because you can't destroy WRs coming across the middle any more. It's made the short-passing game that much harder to defend, as making the guy pay for coming across the middle was effectively the best way to defend that sort of attack.

That's not meant to detract from Brady. He's a master of the short passing game, without a doubt. But the rule changes have made life a lot easier for him in particular IMO. I raised this with Sando when Brady was voted to the all-eras team (though he did not necessarily agree). I think Brady would have struggled in pretty much any era prior to the advent of the WCO.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I was under the impression that when Manning missed a season and his team won 2 games, that that proved he's the best QB of this era?

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or WRs. Brady's current offense is MUCH easier to run than the original WCO because you can't destroy WRs coming across the middle any more. It's made the short-passing game that much harder to defend, as making the guy pay for coming across the middle was effectively the best way to defend that sort of attack.

That's not meant to detract from Brady. He's a master of the short passing game, without a doubt. But the rule changes have made life a lot easier for him in particular IMO. I raised this with Sando when Brady was voted to the all-eras team (though he did not necessarily agree). I think Brady would have struggled in pretty much any era prior to the advent of the WCO.

I think Brady would have struggled if he played even in the 80's early 90's. He is a guy who you can rattle and isn't the best QB when he's getting hit. I know that can be said for a about any QB, but I think he is playing in the perfect era for him. Not taking anything away from him, but I don't know that he is the same guy taking hits that those guys used to take.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Brady would have struggled if he played even in the 80's early 90's. He is a guy who you can rattle and isn't the best QB when he's getting hit. I know that can be said for a about any QB, but I think he is playing in the perfect era for him. Not taking anything away from him, but I don't know that he is the same guy taking hits that those guys used to take.

Spot-on!

Unfortunately, if the Patriots win Sunday and Brady also wins his 3rd SB MVP he will have forever earned his seat at the table and his place in the discussion. I believe most pundits will recognize Joe over Tom due to the era argument but we'll no longer be able to outright deny the argument.

Go Eli!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yeah, I agree. I think he still would have been a very good QB in the '80s and '90s, but it's likely he would have struggled a bit more. There is no doubt that, of the elite guys, he is more easily rattled by pressure than most. I've felt for several years now that he's actually a pretty shaky QB when pressured. However, his OL, offensive system, and quick release/decisionmaking have allowed him to operate largely without significant pressure. He deserves a lot of credit for avoiding pressure as he makes the plays to keep defenses off him. But when they get to him, he doesn't continue to make plays the way some other guys (Brees, really both Mannings at this point) do.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Brady throws 3 picks and only 2 TD's but they win anyway thanks to a pick six from Manning. That way I don't have to here any more about the overrated Eli being elite or about Brady being better than Montana. They both have horrible games and it's the defense that wins it. That would be a fitting end to such a QB driven year.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope Brady throws 3 picks and only 2 TD's but they win anyway thanks to a pick six from Manning. That way I don't have to here any more about the overrated Eli being elite or about Brady being better than Montana. They both have horrible games and it's the defense that wins it. That would be a fitting end to such a QB driven year.

That is a different angle...Maybe Brady can have a Roethlisberger kind of SB...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This sounds right. There just are just no winning situations.

I originally wanted the Pats to blow out NY because I hate that they won that way. But then, people would say we had no chance to win anyway. Don't believe me? Trust the defense? I don't trust the media or even fans. They knew about our defense but they still said the NO was going to be a shootout and we'd fail. So regardless of how good our defense is, and regardless of how well the offense played at the end of the Saints game, there would be a majority saying, man, SF couldn't stop that. Plus, another SB win for Brady and the Pats? No thanks.

Then I wanted NY to win because then we lost to the champion and if we barely lost to them, we could beat a defeatable New England team. But with all this Eli talk, there's no way I want them to win. He didn't win the NFC Game any more that Alex lost it. Sure, they both had a big effect, but the biggest reason was the bad play of the ST on our team and the good play on theirs. I would rather have them say how great their ST were than talk about how great Manning was. This season, sure. That game, no way.

And yet, he's great. If he hadn't declared himself elite before, they'd be asking, is he elite? A win would give him supporters. Now that he said he was preseason, if he wins, there will be no debate in the media. In fact, even if he loses, they will say not every elite QB wins every time. I think winning two superbowls speaks for itself, but since Manning spoke for himself, the discussion has changed. I guess I can't blame him, but I'm not going to pat him on the back, either.

So I stick to my dream (besides reinstating us). That neither QB plays well and all points be scored by special teams. Because then the champion is determined by ST play and ours wasn't very good in our last game. Case closed. No offense/defense dynamic analysis. Just their ST played better than ours.

SeeYouNT

Вы хотели бы некоторые Путина?
Hoopla Cash
$ 291.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of them wears Ugg boots, the other doesn't.

One of them had a rule made to protect them from getting hit, the other didn't.

No comparison IMO.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This sounds right. There just are just no winning situations.

I originally wanted the Pats to blow out NY because I hate that they won that way. But then, people would say we had no chance to win anyway. Don't believe me? Trust the defense? I don't trust the media or even fans. They knew about our defense but they still said the NO was going to be a shootout and we'd fail. So regardless of how good our defense is, and regardless of how well the offense played at the end of the Saints game, there would be a majority saying, man, SF couldn't stop that. Plus, another SB win for Brady and the Pats? No thanks.

Then I wanted NY to win because then we lost to the champion and if we barely lost to them, we could beat a defeatable New England team. But with all this Eli talk, there's no way I want them to win. He didn't win the NFC Game any more that Alex lost it. Sure, they both had a big effect, but the biggest reason was the bad play of the ST on our team and the good play on theirs. I would rather have them say how great their ST were than talk about how great Manning was. This season, sure. That game, no way.

And yet, he's great. If he hadn't declared himself elite before, they'd be asking, is he elite? A win would give him supporters. Now that he said he was preseason, if he wins, there will be no debate in the media. In fact, even if he loses, they will say not every elite QB wins every time. I think winning two superbowls speaks for itself, but since Manning spoke for himself, the discussion has changed. I guess I can't blame him, but I'm not going to pat him on the back, either.

So I stick to my dream (besides reinstating us). That neither QB plays well and all points be scored by special teams. Because then the champion is determined by ST play and ours wasn't very good in our last game. Case closed. No offense/defense dynamic analysis. Just their ST played better than ours.

Crikey! I think we could start a whole thread on the different ways we want to see the SB won - here is another idea - I like it, '82...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is brady the best now? nm montana

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is brady the best now? nm montana

I don't like Brady over Montana, don't get me wrong. But you don't always have to be better every year to be better over a career or era. Having said that, Montana was best for me.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I was under the impression that when Manning missed a season and his team won 2 games, that that proved he's the best QB of this era?

Meh..look at the scrubs who replaced Manning. Painter? Orlovsky?? When Brady went down with injury he had a decent QB replace him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think it's like comparing apples and an even better apple (Montana). But of course people are going to make their comparisons.

12 SB TDs, 0 SB interceptions. 2 strike years. 127+ passer rating in 4 SBs. Montana was the ultimate big game QB.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it's like comparing apples and an even better apple (Montana). But of course people are going to make their comparisons.

12 SB TDs, 0 SB interceptions. 2 strike years. 127+ passer rating in 4 SBs. Montana was the ultimate big game QB.

Gotta show some love for that one, Sick...well said!

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I agree with you that you cannot compare Montana to Brady but my reasoning is that Montana was much better and more effective when it counted than Brady. Brady, in my opinion, is a product of the rule changes designed to make the game more high scoring.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Ha ha! Right on.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with you that you cannot compare Montana to Brady but my reasoning is that Montana was much better and more effective when it counted than Brady. Brady, in my opinion, is a product of the rule changes designed to treat Tom Brady like he's pregnant.

Fixed!

Just fyi, Brady is just 70 regular season passing attempts behind Montana...

Last edited by a moderator:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
430965_2948000893449_1064122762_3696709_1689631961_n.jpg

Nuff said.