• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Biggest Oscars / Academy Awards Snubs

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we are on the topic of Oscar discussions, what are some of the biggest snubs in recent history? I'll make my cut off at 1990 otherwise this list would go on forever. You guys are free to add on snubs from the 60s, 70s, and 80s

Best Picture - The Social Network

Best Director - Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan)

I thought this year The Social Network, Black Swan, Inception, 127 Hours, AND True Grit were better and more deserving than The King's Speech for Best Picture. Also thought Aronofsky and Fincher were robbed of Best Director.

Best Picture - The Dark Knight

It's hard for any superhero film to ever win Best Picture but if it was going to be any film it was going to be The Dark Knight. The real snub is TDK not even getting nominated when a film like The Reader could make it on the list. Also the last one is much less a snub since Sean Penn was equally deserving for Best Actor, but Mickey Rourke gave out the performance of a life time for The Wrestler. Just unfortunate that it came in a year against Sean Penn in Milk.

Best Actress - Natalie Portman (V for Vendetta)

One of my personal favorite performances by an actress

Best Actor - Leonardo Dicaprio (The Aviator)

Don Cheadle (Hotel Rwanda) and Jamie Foxx (Ray) were both deserving so it's tough but Leo's performance in The Aviator was arguably the best of his career.

Best Picture - Catch Me If You Can

Best Actor - Daniel Day Lewis (Gangs of New York)

Best Supporting Actress - Samantha Morton (Minority Report)

Wasn't a fan of Chicago winning at all. Either Catch Me If You Can (didn't even get nominated), Minority Report (no nomination) or Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers should have gotten Best Picture. Also Daniel Day-Lewis's portrayal of The Butcher is one of 2000s most iconic performances and no Best Actor.

Best Actor - Edward Norton (American History X)

Easily one of the best performances of the decade by Norton, but I don't think the Academy Awards wanted to give Best Actor to someone so early into their career.

Best Picture - Pulp Fiction

Best Director - Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction)

Best Supporting Actor - Samuel L Jackson (Pulp Fiction)

I enjoy Forest Gump just as much as anybody, but there's no way it should have won over Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption. Uma Thurman was deserving of best supporting actress too.

Best Picture - Goodfellas

Best Director - Martin Scorsese (Goodfellas)

Scorsese has been robbed so many times over the span of his career. Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, and Raging Bull should have all either taken home Best Picture or Best Director.

Others worth mentioning
- Best Picture: LA Confidential (1997)
- Best Supporting Actor: Edward Norton (Primal Fear 1996)
- Best Actress: Elizabeth Sue (Leaving Las Vegas 1995)

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1994 - all good movies, but I got no gripes with Forrest Gump. Sure now the things they did with throwing him in history aren't such a big deal, but back in 94 that shit was crazy good and the entire story line was just good and unexpected.

Shawshank is a great movie and a classic that is probably more watched and stands the test of time, but back in 94 it wasn't exactly a trend setter.

Pulp fiction is too much of a cult following type movie.

Personally, I hate the awards and think they are shit.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
032212-celebs-fantasy-Louis-Gossett-Jr-Enemy-Mine.jpg

Louis Gossett Jr. should have won for his role in Enemy Mine...

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1994 - all good movies, but I got no gripes with Forrest Gump. Sure now the things they did with throwing him in history aren't such a big deal, but back in 94 that shit was crazy good and the entire story line was just good and unexpected.

Shawshank is a great movie and a classic that is probably more watched and stands the test of time, but back in 94 it wasn't exactly a trend setter.

Pulp fiction is too much of a cult following type movie.

Personally, I hate the awards and think they are shit.

:agree:

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin Landau (Ed Wood) bested both Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction) and Gary Sinise (Forrest Gump) for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin Landau (Ed Wood) bested both Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction) and Gary Sinise (Forrest Gump) for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

94 was a tough year in general. Pulp Fiction only winning best original screenplay was a travesty. Titanic winning over L.A. Confidential was also a travesty in 98.

Driving Miss Daisy winning over, well, everything else nominated(Born on the 4th of July, Dead Poets Society, Field of Dreams, My Left Foot) is probably the biggest travesty I can think.

Actually Rami Malek winning over Bradley Cooper last year was pretty terrible as well.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alfred Hitchcock never won best director award, he was nominated five times and in the end only won a lifetime achievement award. When he won that award, he merely said, “Thank you, very much indeed,”. He made 52 movies with only 5 Oscars to show for it, Rebecca was the only best picture winner. An actress won an Oscar for her performance in Suspicion, Spellbound won for best score. While a film like Vertigo was never even nominated.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't recall the last time I gave a fig about the Oscars or any awards show for that matter.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
032212-celebs-fantasy-Louis-Gossett-Jr-Enemy-Mine.jpg

Louis Gossett Jr. should have won for his role in Enemy Mine...

I honestly didn’t even know the movie.

Figured it was a 1940s Nos special.

Was surprised to see it was only 1985!

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saving Private Ryan … I get that it drags a bit in the middle act, but that opening scene is pretty much the best war scene in history. How did it lose to "Shakespeare in Love" and how did Tom Hanks lose to Roberto Benigni?

94 was just a tough year with 3 great movies equally deserving all the awards. I personally like Pulp Fiction better, but Forrest Gump was great.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saving Private Ryan … I get that it drags a bit in the middle act, but that opening scene is pretty much the best war scene in history. How did it lose to "Shakespeare in Love" and how did Tom Hanks lose to Roberto Benigni?

94 was just a tough year with 3 great movies equally deserving all the awards. I personally like Pulp Fiction better, but Forrest Gump was great.

This.. A travesty imo. I think many people just didn't like the grim violence of Saving Private Ryan so a clever romantic comedy about Shakespeare was a welcome alternative.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.. A travesty imo. I think many people just didn't like the grim violence of Saving Private Ryan so a clever romantic comedy about Shakespeare was a welcome alternative.
This is much ado about little (see what I did there?). Shakespeare in Love is a phenomenal movie.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driving Miss Daisy winning over, well, everything else nominated(Born on the 4th of July, Dead Poets Society, Field of Dreams, My Left Foot) is probably the biggest travesty I can think.

Wow, that is not a good group IMO. Not a great year for cinema.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ordinary People beat Raging Bull....

Thinking back, that may have been when I dumped the Oscars.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haing Noor in The Killing Fields winning over Adolph Caesar for his role as Sgt. Waters in A Soldiers Story always bugged me. Noor was barely even an actor and there was nothing special about his performance, but he basically had lived the part he played so I guess that's why they gave it to him.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Murray for Lost In Translation. After that I stopped watching the Oscars.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I don't remember Unforgiven (1993 Oscars) very well, but A Few Good Men was fucking awesome.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is much ado about little (see what I did there?). Shakespeare in Love is a phenomenal movie.
It’s a very good movie, but Saving Private Ryan pretty much redefined war movies.