• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Biggest asshole in MLB history

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ty Cobb has to be on the list. Being an asshole is what got him to where he is today. Which is hell. I'd have to add Robby Alomar, John Rocker and Roger Clemens too, if they haven't been added already.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a-roid robbed MLB fans (mostly yankees) of $500million. you can't get much worse than that!
How did he rob $500M? Whose head did he hold a gun to? Did teams not profit from having him on their roster? Did he not bring people to the ballpark and sell merchandise?

Not to mention, he's only scheduled to make $439M through the end of his current contract, and could potentially be losing $25M if he's suspended next season.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to name a few of mine:
Albert Belle
Ryan Braun
Barry Bonds
Mike Piazza
Maury Wills
Milton Bradley
Darryl Strawberry (but i give him a bit of a pass because he was battling substance abuse problems)
AJ Pierzynski
Reggie Jackson

Notice Ty Cobb isn't on the list. Even though i hate the guy, I do admire his drive and passion to play the game, even if he was a little fixated on individual statistics versus his team play. I wish we had more players with his passion on the Phillies today.

I also noticed you didn't list any Phillies players

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ty Cobb has to be on the list. Being an asshole is what got him to where he is today. Which is hell. I'd have to add Robby Alomar, John Rocker and Roger Clemens too, if they haven't been added already.
Robby Alomar's only transgression throughout his baseball career was the spitting incident, and he's apologized profusely for that one lapse in judgment and been forgiven by Hirschbeck. Otherwise, he was a model citizen.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chick Gandil is probably the biggest scumbag who ever played a MLB game, but John Rocker, Joe Medwick, Ty Cobb, Milton Bradley, and Hal Chase make the shortlist.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice Ty Cobb isn't on the list. Even though i hate the guy, I do admire his drive and passion to play the game, even if he was a little fixated on individual statistics versus his team play. I wish we had more players with his passion on the Phillies today.
I wouldn't be too kind to Ty. The dude was a legitimate sociopath. I won't even go into the racism, as that was a product of the times, but he was a terrible teammate, husband and father. He treated people with absolutely no respect and stepped on them every chance he could.

For what it's worth, following his career, Cobb did mellow considerably, and was very generous with his vast fortune. Even after he had calmed down in retirement, other players still wanted nothing to do with him.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be too kind to Ty. The dude was a legitimate sociopath. I won't even go into the racism, as that was a product of the times, but he was a terrible teammate, husband and father. He treated people with absolutely no respect and stepped on them every chance he could.

For what it's worth, following his career, Cobb did mellow considerably, and was very generous with his vast fortune. Even after he had calmed down in retirement, other players still wanted nothing to do with him.

Yeah, if him and williams had put all their energy into winning a world championship rather than their hitting, one of them might have won a world series. Throughout his career, Williams stated his goal was to have people point to him and remark, "There goes Ted Williams, the greatest hitter who ever lived." A better goal for a player to have is "There goes (blank) the man with the most world championships of all MLB players."

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if him and williams had put all their energy into winning a world championship rather than their hitting, one of them might have won a world series. Throughout his career, Williams stated his goal was to have people point to him and remark, "There goes Ted Williams, the greatest hitter who ever lived." A better goal for a player to have is "There goes (blank) the man with the most world championships of all MLB players."
It's not Williams fault that the highest the Red Sox ever finished in runs allowed was 3rd in the American League out of 8 teams and their average position in his 16 full seasons was between 5th and 6th in the AL

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ty Cobb did care very much about the batting title, but he also did everything he could to see the Tigers win a championship. He just didn't have enough talent around him during his prime. The Tigers' pitching staff during the 1910s was pretty weak and having a weak pitching staff in the Dead Ball Era doesn't help your chances at a title.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not Williams fault that the highest the Red Sox ever finished in runs allowed was 3rd in the American League out of 8 teams and their average position in his 16 full seasons was between 5th and 6th in the AL

I'm not placing all the blame on either player, of course, both of them reached the world series. but with both being very lackadaisical about their fielding, and putting a ton of pressure on themselves about their own offensive production, they couldn't have been very good teammates

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not placing all the blame on either player, of course, both of them reached the world series. but with both being very lackadaisical about their fielding, and putting a ton of pressure on themselves about their own offensive production, they couldn't have been very good teammates
Ty Cobb was no lackadaisical about his fielding. That dude strove to be the best at everything. He wasn't a great fielder by any means, but not for a lack of trying.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ty Cobb was no lackadaisical about his fielding. That dude strove to be the best at everything. He wasn't a great fielder by any means, but not for a lack of trying.

true, that statement was more directed at williams. but cobb definitely had his short comings as a teammate. he was jealous/annoyed with sam crawford's success. a player that wants to win the world series is happy when he has great players around him, not annoyed. it's a recipe for disasrer when the two greatest players on a team have a problem with each other. just look at jeff kent and barry bonds

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Hamilton is a bigger asshole than anyone on that list.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh shit, i saw the gold sd and my mind just changed it to sf

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
weren't you a padres fan like a week ago?

By his omission to date, I can only assume that we have quickly wiped John Rocker from our collective memory banks? Or, as this does not really specify that this has to be a player, how about Magre Schott?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By his omission to date, I can only assume that we have quickly wiped John Rocker from our collective memory banks? Or, as this does not really specify that this has to be a player, how about Magre Schott?

John Rocker has been mentioned at least a couple of times.