• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Big XII: Which departure(s) hurt the worst?

He hurt me!

• Colorado

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Missouri

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 53 62.4%
  • Texas A&M

Votes: 60 70.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that is the bottom line. No one wants to share with more if the more don't bring more to the table than they'd share.

But schools like Cincy and Memphis and UConn and BYU, possibly a Boise St are good enough at the big 2 of football and/or basketball, that they'd probably ADD more revenue than they would take in their share. And if not, straight up, adding Cincy gives a conference an Ohio footprint, and Memphis gives them a Tennessee footprint, UConn gives them the Connecticut footprint and BYU gives them the Mormon footprint. Boise St is a stretch. One of the New Mexico schools would also be a stretch. Maybe Air Force or Army or Navy could add enough of a national footprint?

B1G, ACC & SEC are already at 14, so it would be 2 for the Pac, and 4 for the Big 12. So the Big 12 seems to be where the most change would need to happen. I mean, none of the conferences with 14 are going backwards.

Well it will be interesting to see how things develop over the next 5-10 years.
I'm guessing the next round will be about "national appeal" to viewers, not regional. The only one of those you listed that has a "national" following of any significance is BYU.

I heard it explained this way a while back. Casual CFP fans, outside of a regional footprint, aren't interested in most other conference slates that match up schools without national appeal. (Many are not like us CFP nuts that'll watch anything.)

Casual fans in Portland, OR, Denver, CO, Chicago, IL and Washington, DC are much more likely to fork over some cash to watch games like Alabama vs Vanderbilt, Texas vs Baylor, OU vs Iowa State, and Clemson vs Wake Forest than they are Miss State vs Vanderbilt, Texas Tech vs Baylor, TCU vs Iowa State and Duke vs Wake Forest. Just changing the first team in those matchups drops the national appeal significantly for the most part.

One of the best examples may have been the Ohio State vs Purdue game this year. There was quite a bit of interest around the nation to watch that game. Had it been Indiana vs Purdue instead, not so much. Only the B1G die hards and the CFP nuts like us would have been interested.

If it were all about "the big 2", conference realignment would have looked a lot different at the beginning. It wasn't about competitiveness and improving the quality of football or basketball. It was about the number of TV sets available in their conference footprint that could be used to negotiate media contracts. That was it...100%.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are sure the SEC will want Oklahoma? Not exactly the biggest media footprint?

Good football, for sure. Decent bb. What else does OU offer?

Personally, I don't see any conferences expanding beyond 14 teams. The Pac doesn't want to expand beyond 12. Most SECers wish they would have stayed at 12. Most B1G fans wish we would have stayed at 12.

Advantage of a 14 team conference? Two 7 team divisions. 9 game Conf schedule allows for playing every Div team, one guaranteed rival from other Div every year, and the other 6 teams rotate, 2 different teams every 3 years, or a home and away vs each once every 6 years. It's just a simple formula.

You expand to 16 teams and you will almost never play the teams from the other division.

And who would the B1G be willing to add? Notre Dame and Texas are the only two worthy, and both are the biggest headaches in the NCAA. The B1G will NOT give either of those schools what they want and will probably demand.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There certainly seems to be a trend in the voting.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing the next round will be about "national appeal" to viewers, not regional. The only one of those you listed that has a "national" following of any significance is BYU.

I heard it explained this way a while back. Casual CFP fans, outside of a regional footprint, aren't interested in most other conference slates that match up schools without national appeal. (Many are not like us CFP nuts that'll watch anything.)

Casual fans in Portland, OR, Denver, CO, Chicago, IL and Washington, DC are much more likely to fork over some cash to watch games like Alabama vs Vanderbilt, Texas vs Baylor, OU vs Iowa State, and Clemson vs Wake Forest than they are Miss State vs Vanderbilt, Texas Tech vs Baylor, TCU vs Iowa State and Duke vs Wake Forest. Just changing the first team in those matchups drops the national appeal significantly for the most part.

One of the best examples may have been the Ohio State vs Purdue game this year. There was quite a bit of interest around the nation to watch that game. Had it been Indiana vs Purdue instead, not so much. Only the B1G die hards and the CFP nuts like us would have been interested.

If it were all about "the big 2", conference realignment would have looked a lot different at the beginning. It wasn't about competitiveness and improving the quality of football or basketball. It was about the number of TV sets available in their conference footprint that could be used to negotiate media contracts. That was it...100%.

Not 100%. But you are right in general, the media footprint has become the #1 factor now.

The B1G schools make BILLIONS from Research Grants. So they weren't going to take someone who wouldn't add to that aspect. They came close when they took Nebraska, and my guess is they won't do that again.

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ou and Texas are business partners in every aspect... by 2024 there will be different problems and different issues that OUand Texas will agree on —neither really wants to move on without the other.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if Texas was willing to come into the B1G, with no demands whatsoever, as a humble 15th member, it's possible the B1G would take OU as well.

But if Texas thinks it's going to do anything other than crawl in humbly, accepting the B1G's terms, then it surely won't take OU as part of the deal. Only way UT would get any of it's demands, is if it came in alone and the B1G was in line to get someone like Notre Dame or a big time ACC/SEC team like Florida or Virginia/Georgia Tech.

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a&m is in a conference-Texas will not go to (perhaps OU as-well). a$m burned a lot of bridges when they left and have not mend any fences.

Both Texas and OU have great 3rd tier tv rights and it will take a lot of funds for either to consider leaving.

Big12 will probably add 2 teams if those teams bring something to the table. At some point in time the Big12 will buy out the LHN and turn into the Big12 Network. But no hurry

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a&m is in a conference-Texas will not go to (perhaps OU as-well). a$m burned a lot of bridges when they left and have not mend any fences.

Both Texas and OU have great 3rd tier tv rights and it will take a lot of funds for either to consider leaving.

Big12 will probably add 2 teams if those teams bring something to the table. At some point in time the Big12 will buy out the LHN and turn into the Big12 Network. But no hurry
I don't think they'll have to. I doubt ESPN will fork over the coin for the LHN like they did at first. But, what the hell do I know.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are sure the SEC will want Oklahoma? Not exactly the biggest media footprint?

Good football, for sure. Decent bb. What else does OU offer?

Personally, I don't see any conferences expanding beyond 14 teams. The Pac doesn't want to expand beyond 12. Most SECers wish they would have stayed at 12. Most B1G fans wish we would have stayed at 12.

Advantage of a 14 team conference? Two 7 team divisions. 9 game Conf schedule allows for playing every Div team, one guaranteed rival from other Div every year, and the other 6 teams rotate, 2 different teams every 3 years, or a home and away vs each once every 6 years. It's just a simple formula.

You expand to 16 teams and you will almost never play the teams from the other division.

And who would the B1G be willing to add? Notre Dame and Texas are the only two worthy, and both are the biggest headaches in the NCAA. The B1G will NOT give either of those schools what they want and will probably demand.

OU turned down the SEC once unfortunately. Honestly your question doesn’t deserve an answer.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU turned down the SEC once unfortunately. Honestly your question doesn’t deserve an answer.

Well, should I take that to mean, not much?

The B1G cares mostly about 2 things, Media footprint(worth 10s of millions to each school) and Research Grant potential(worth 100s of millions if not billions to each school).

Secondary factors are football and basketball quality. Why else do they take Maryland and Rutgers?

So... OU's media footprint is how big? OU's research grants are how much?

My educated guess is that neither are enough for OU, all alone, to be considered a worthy candidate for being invited into the B1G.

10-20 years ago, they might have gotten an invite, before the B1G took in Nebraska.

But nowadays, conferences don't like being uneven, so expansion will almost always be 2 schools simultaneously.

OU's football is good enough that paired up with a school like Texas, they'd easily be taken in, and the B1G would then lean on OU to invest money into improving their Research Capabilities. Because football money is tiddly winks compared to what can be made from Research Grants.

OU all alone is not all that attractive. Don't take it personally, it's just that Oklahoma doesn't have much of a media footprint.

But paired with Texas, both the SEC and the Pac would possibly want them. So if A&M being in the SEC is a problem for Texas, that means only the Pac and the B1G are left as options. That or adding teams to the Big 12, which is what I think is the best option.

It would just be too weird trying to get used to seeing UT & OU anywhere but the Big 12.

I think Cincy would be a great add to the Big 12. After Cincy, there seems to me to be a big drop off. Memphis maybe? UCF? BYU? Colorado St?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who would Big 12 fans want? If you knew the conf was definitely adding 2-4 new teams, who, as fans, would you want to be added?