• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Big XII: Which departure(s) hurt the worst?

He hurt me!

• Colorado

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Missouri

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 53 62.4%
  • Texas A&M

Votes: 60 70.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, should I take that to mean, not much?

The B1G cares mostly about 2 things, Media footprint(worth 10s of millions to each school) and Research Grant potential(worth 100s of millions if not billions to each school).

Secondary factors are football and basketball quality. Why else do they take Maryland and Rutgers?

So... OU's media footprint is how big? OU's research grants are how much?

My educated guess is that neither are enough for OU, all alone, to be considered a worthy candidate for being invited into the B1G.

10-20 years ago, they might have gotten an invite, before the B1G took in Nebraska.

But nowadays, conferences don't like being uneven, so expansion will almost always be 2 schools simultaneously.

OU's football is good enough that paired up with a school like Texas, they'd easily be taken in, and the B1G would then lean on OU to invest money into improving their Research Capabilities. Because football money is tiddly winks compared to what can be made from Research Grants.

OU all alone is not all that attractive. Don't take it personally, it's just that Oklahoma doesn't have much of a media footprint.

But paired with Texas, both the SEC and the Pac would possibly want them. So if A&M being in the SEC is a problem for Texas, that means only the Pac and the B1G are left as options. That or adding teams to the Big 12, which is what I think is the best option.

It would just be too weird trying to get used to seeing UT & OU anywhere but the Big 12.

I think Cincy would be a great add to the Big 12. After Cincy, there seems to me to be a big drop off. Memphis maybe? UCF? BYU? Colorado St?

Blue bloods in college football can write their ticket, period.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll also add losing Aggy hurt some more b/c those fucking idiots opened up the state of Texas even more to SEC recruiting. At least lil bro is a higher paid ho now......

This is why I voted for Aggie, and only for Aggie.

Nebraska had...HAD...a great rep and were a household name before joining the B1G. It might have stung at the time, but the further away we get from that moment, it hurts less and less.

Aggie's move is going to keep hurting because of the bigger foothold SEC teams have in recruiting the Texas high schools

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can talk about the past all we want but shit has changed. OU straight up told the conference fuck you we are out right now when they voted down Mayfield getting another year of eligibility and all the sudden everyone wanted to revote. Shocker. This conference is dead, 2024 can’t get here soon enough.

Y'all should dominate the fuck out of the Sun Belt

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue bloods in college football can write their ticket, period.

Unless that ticket is wanting to get into the B1G. AAU membership is a requirement. Is OU an AAU school?

Without bringing BILLIONS in research dollars into the B1G, and millions upon millions with their media footprint, even Alabama with Saban wouldn't get into the B1G.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless that ticket is wanting to get into the B1G. AAU membership is a requirement. Is OU an AAU school?

Without bringing BILLIONS in research dollars into the B1G, and millions upon millions with their media footprint, even Alabama with Saban wouldn't get into the B1G.

I never said a word about being in the Big 10 but trust me shit could change and soon if your conference keeps getting left out. The fall from that academic high horse will hurt at some point.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

...how did Neb get in then? They loved the fuck out of some partial-qualifiers back in the day...is that what AAU means? To allow real dumb guise to play "college"?

They didn't have much in the way of research monies either...did they?

...and back to the partial-qualifier element. Exactly how unfair is it that all teams play by the same rules when it comes to academic standards? I've heard many bugeaters say this change in league policy was specifically directed at harming Nebraska. My question would be "Why did Nebraska need so many 'partials' anyway"?

Why did every other Big XII team vote to do away with partials? Some put forth that the league wanted to be perceived as more "ivy than mud"...kinda like the B1G.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh heck yeah, Baylor is a totes lujjit P5 opponent, no question.
hmm...ok?

Welp, anywho...this thread/poll was created to demonstrate exactly how weak and ineffective certain teams are in the grand scheme of things.

No fault of their fans, they cling to their alma mater/school on their t-shirt to the bitter end...as most of us would.

So, take time and have a little understanding when you see a fan of one of the flotsam and jetsam of CFB....like the two up there that barely registered on our poll. They don't have much, so let them have this one thing and let them bandwagon their conference or direct hate and venom at one of the cool kids from another conference.

They need something to feel good about.

You will get karma points.

Its a Win/almost win (not as bad of an ass-thumping).

:lock1:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would Big 12 fans want? If you knew the conf was definitely adding 2-4 new teams, who, as fans, would you want to be added?
Not sure about "Big 12" fans per se. Their preferences are probably all over the place depending on each school's situation. I'd say every school except Texas and Oklahoma are just happy they have a P5 home period. I don't see a conference clamoring to have any of the other eight schools. (Maybe West Virginia but the ACC already shunned them.)

As for who conference representatives go, I'd say they want none of the above...at least if you go by what happened a few years ago when conference had that sham of an "application" period/process. They rejected all of the AACs (UCONN, Cincy, Memphis, UCF, USF, Houston, SMU), BYU or Boise State options. (Don't recall if BYU or Boise ever even asked for consideration.) Went through that entire process and then said "Thanks but no thanks."

Looked like idiots IMHO for going through such a farce.

So deductively one would have to conclude they only want teams already in a P5 conference. And none of them are available.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now acknowledge Tech!

DO IT

220px-The_Masked_Rider_logo.png

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a&m is in a conference-Texas will not go to (perhaps OU as-well). a$m burned a lot of bridges when they left and have not mend any fences.

Both Texas and OU have great 3rd tier tv rights and it will take a lot of funds for either to consider leaving.

Big12 will probably add 2 teams if those teams bring something to the table. At some point in time the Big12 will buy out the LHN and turn into the Big12 Network. But no hurry

What fences does A&M need to mend? They got tired of t.u. having Dan Bebee make the Big 12 all about the longhorns and bolted to a stronger, more stable, and better conference. They made a decision based on what was better for A&M.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that. Never had any intention of adding teams but were willing to go through the motions for more coin. After all, that's what it is all about. Some silly people think conference realignment is about football.

Think it will work again?
I don't think they honestly ever wanted expansion in the first place after 4 teams bailed. WVU and TCU were right place/right time for being a bandage.

I don't think they will have any other opportunities to get the kind of teams they NEED. Even though the GOR in two conferences expires in the next two years I don't see the Big XII being able to poach anyone...

REALITY CHECK: The BIG XII is flyover country. There aren't bajillions of potential eyeballs on TV sets to drive any real expansion...never have been. The league has played its dealt hand as well as it could have honestly. If getting $$$ is the game they've done quite well for themselves. Ask K-State/Kansas/Iowa State/Baylor/TCU/Ok State/TexTek/WVU if they like the monies.

I've asserted from the beginning that the end results of all of this money grabbing will be 4 major conferences to be set-up of 16 teams each based on geographical location to minimize travel. This is going to piss many people off when the shuffling starts as there are some conference affiliations that will be broken by stalwart school members...but when you witness Nebraska/OU and texico/A&M rivalries being pissed away with such abandon, anything is possible moving forward.

The conference championship games will be BYE play-ins. You'll have 4 more playoff play-ins that will pit 8 at large teams comprised of P5/G5 teams. Losers of the BYE play-ins will play the winners of the AT LARGE play-ins, etc.....very similar to NFL, right?

It seems as this is the only logical conclusion I can fathom.

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What fences does A&M need to mend? They got tired of t.u. having Dan Bebee make the Big 12 all about the longhorns and bolted to a stronger, more stable, and better conference. They made a decision based on what was better for A&M.
Exhibit 1.

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska bigtime. Losing a blueblood kills

Who in the fuck is voting aTm. .500 conference team with nothing but talk