• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big Changes Coming in 2014

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big changes coming on NFL game days

Current NFL rules prevent teams from using computers during games to assist with calling plays or anything else related to the game on the field. That will change in 2014 under a new partnership between the NFL and Microsoft.

Much of the NFL's news release on the partnership includes information about real-time fantasy football applications through Xbox gaming systems.

This looks like a game-changer on the field as well. Computers should allow teams to more reliably consider the percentages in light of team tendencies, opponent tendencies, historical precedent or whatever information a team could find valuable. This should be especially true as younger coaches replace older ones.

"Coaches and players will soon have access to a variety of cutting-edge Microsoft solutions, including Surface tablets to enhance on-field communications, photo viewing and play calling," the release says. "Microsoft and the NFL envision a sideline of the future with players reviewing in-game photos from different camera angles directly from the sideline and head coaches calling plays off connected Surface tablets instead of today's static paper products. ... NFL coaches, players and other personnel will have the technology they need to improve decision-making and on-field performance."

I'll be very eager to learn specifics regarding what limitations, if any, the NFL plans to impose as technology becomes a bigger part of the game-day experience.

The changes announced Tuesday could mark a starting point for more coaches at least considering the percentages associated with their decisions. Brian Burke of Advanced NFL Stats explained one aspect of the thinking when asked during the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference about the Baltimore Ravens' decision to try a fake field goal on fourth-and-9 in the Super Bowl.

Teams currently chart plays by dozens of parameters, indexing them to video to facilitate in-week preparation. The ability to access that information more quickly during games would seem to offer an advantage.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All teams use computers to determine statistical advantages and to develop certain aspects of their gameplan at some point in the year, if not during the game week. But it seemed that the better prepared teams as to research prior to the game would fair better than those with less preparation. It wasn't just talent, strength, or in-game gut feelings (though all of those help). Technology and numbers crunching could give you a real advantage on the field.

All of this work, until 2014, was to be made prior to the game. The playcalls were on pen and pad so to speak. I wonder how allowing computers do in-game statistical analysis is going to change the game. I imagine it would be less than the jump to radios on helmets, because these coaches already used knowledge of statistics and probabilities, but it has to have some effect. Some teams will rely on it too much, some will fail to realize the potential when sticking with old-school techniques, and some teams will excel at maximizing the use.

It's like how some classes allow cheat sheets to tests or open book. One might think that it would help, but there are wrong ways of doing it. But most can benefit from a nice succinct outline, and so will teams who know how to handle the technology in game.

What do you guys think of this? What would your limitations, rule wise or practical wise, if any, be?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd take bill walsh's brain over any microsoft computer

won't have to worry about blue screen either...

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just not really into video games. I don't even watch TV except for football.

Will I be able to access this stuff from a PC, or would I have to get an Xbox to get it?

And you never came across an xbox at a friend's house? That is, assuming you have friends :suds:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
And you never came across an xbox at a friend's house? That is, assuming you have friends :suds:

None of my friends play video games. Most of my guy friends are married, and I don't know any girls who play video games. Going dancing is really the only hobby in which I indulge when I'm not working on school (which is the majority of most days). My brother played a lot of video games when I was a kid, so I absorbed some game knowlege through osmosis, but was a long time ago. I did like the old Final Fantasy games when I was a kid, and I found a way to play a couple of 'em on my computer. I also found a way to play the original Legend of Zelda, which is the 2nd game I ever played.

Oh, and this game is a little goof ball, but it's fun for some reason. My high score is 1376:

I FEEL ASLEEP!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
None of my friends play video games. Most of my guy friends are married, and I don't know any girls who play video games. Going dancing is really the only hobby in which I indulge when I'm not working on school (which is the majority of most days). My brother played a lot of video games when I was a kid, so I absorbed some game knowlege through osmosis, but was a long time ago. I did like the old Final Fantasy games when I was a kid, and I found a way to play a couple of 'em on my computer. I also found a way to play the original Legend of Zelda, which is the 2nd game I ever played.

Oh, and this game is a little goof ball, but it's fun for some reason. My high score is 1376:

I FEEL ASLEEP!

c17.png

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Just get rid of the Pro Bowl. It's a joke. Nothing like the All Star game in baseball.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just get rid of the Pro Bowl. It's a joke. Nothing like the All Star game in baseball.

if they stop playing the game, fine, can't make a case for it. but continue to name players to the Pro Bowl, and send them (and their families) to Hawaii. :-)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they stop playing the game, fine, can't make a case for it. but continue to name players to the Pro Bowl, and send them (and their families) to Hawaii. :-)

Now we're talking - This.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Heh, I've always wondered why I never saw any coordinators using computers at least when they're up in the booth. One thing that would be an automatic upgrade is using devices to show players replays and stills on the sideline. The SJ Sharks were using a tablet + Slingbox years ago to show replays and give instruction to players on the bench, its a simple move and its silly it hasn't been allowed.

But the idea of teams using supernerds to build programs that will predict opponents tendencies in certain situations should get interesting. I'm sure they can already make these things and use and study them throughout the week for an upcoming opponent, but the idea of OCs getting information fed to them throughout the game, the ability to get in-game data on opponent tendencies in specific situations, should be very helpful. Computers in the booth would certainly help offenses more than defenses.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL considers making the Pro Bowl ?more like a game show? | ProFootballTalk

Dumb, dumb, dumb. I hate most of the changes the NFL makes and has made over the past several years but I'm not quite on the level of some of those fans that hates any change the NFL makes for silly reasons either, though.

You want to change the Pro Bowl? What they need to do is select positional groups instead of individuals. For example the 49ers offensive line going up against the Texans defensive line. Or Atalanta's WR's going against Tennessee's secondary. The 49ers LB's going up against KC's RB,FB,TE's. If you consider the chemistry and competitive nature from within, from one anothers own teamate it would increase the action. I also like the fact that good role players would have an oppertunity to play in Hawaii...

I would even be okay with them putting a red hat and flag on the QB, so he doesn't take any abuse...

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pro Bowl starting defense for the NFC-

Defensive line- St.Louis (or Minnesota)
Linebackers- 49ers
Secondary- Chicago

I like it...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the idea isn't so bad, but this reduces the amount of team representation? i'd think it reduced it quite a bit?

so for fans of these 16 or so teams without a unit, do they tune in to watch?

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the idea isn't so bad, but this reduces the amount of team representation? i'd think it reduced it quite a bit?

so for fans of these 16 or so teams without a unit, do they tune in to watch?

Sure, why not? Who wouldn't want to see the best o-line go up against the best d-line? :clap: