• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Approved rule changes

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NFL owners OK replay change, other new rules for 2021 season​

NFL owners approved a series of new rules Wednesday for the 2021 season, including one that will expand the influence of replay officials amid ongoing demands from coaches for more oversight of game-day officials.

Owners rejected more robust proposals for a full-time sky judge, including one from the Baltimore Ravens that would have created a booth umpire. Instead, owners took the more modest step of giving the existing replay officials -- who sit in the press box of each stadium -- the authority to consult with referees on certain "specific, objective aspects of a play when clear and obvious video evidence is present," according to the language of the rule.

Replay officials will not be able to throw flags or reverse calls on their own. But they can now offer referees advice based on what they've seen on broadcast replays in the areas of possession, completed or intercepted passes, the location of the ball relative to the boundary or end line, and whether a player is down by contact. Previously, replay officials had been limited to participating in plays that were under review. Coaches will not have to throw challenge flags to prompt that advice, which some replay officials have been giving referees informally for years.

• Approved a relaxation of rules for the numbers that players of certain positions can wear because of expanded practice squads. Running backs, wide receivers, tight ends, defensive backs and linebackers can all wear numbers in the single digits now if they choose. Based on preexisting NFL rules, players who want to change their numbers this season will have to buy out the inventory of the NFL's manufacturing partners. This wouldn't apply to players who give notice in 2021 that they want to change numbers in 2022.
  • Approved a one-year experiment in an attempt to make it easier to recover onside kicks. In 2021, the receiving team on kickoffs will be limited to nine players within 25 yards of the ball. Last season, NFL teams recovered only three of 67 onside kicks, the lowest total and recovery rate since at least 2001. As a result, the Philadelphia Eagles proposed that teams be given an option to gain 15 yards on one offensive play from their own 25-yard line to retain possession after a score.
  • Tabled a rule that would have expanded the area where players are prohibited from blocking below the waist. McKay said that there is enough support to pass the rule now but that several teams had questions that will take some time to address. It could be revisited next month.
  • Eliminated overtime in preseason games.
  • Changed a rule that will now force a loss of down if two passes are completed behind the line of scrimmage.
  • Approved a rule change that ensures the enforcement of all accepted penalties during successive try attempts, defined as an opportunity for a team to score one or two additional points during one scrimmage down.
  • Did not act on a "spot or choose" proposal from the Ravens for the winner of the overtime coin toss. In that scenario, the team would have the option to choose either which team will have the first possession of overtime or where the ball would be spotted.
  • Decided to include taunting among its points of emphasis for 2021. McKay clarified that the emphasis would be directed not at celebrations but toward acrimonious interaction among players.
  • Tabled a proposal from the Buffalo Bills that would have pushed back interviews for general manager and head-coaching positions until after the championship round of the playoffs and would have prevented hires until after the Super Bowl. It will be further studied.
  • Completed a study of the sharp drop in offensive holding during the 2020 season. McKay said that Walt Anderson, the NFL's senior vice president of training and development, would clarify the standard and put together a video for teams to consume before the 2021 season.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait so two passes behind the line of scrimmage... I'm assuming that means you throw it to your wide receiver (behind the line) and then he throws it back to the QB (who is still behind the line)? Why? We so rarely see that play to begin with. And it's pretty fun to watch.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait so two passes behind the line of scrimmage... I'm assuming that means you throw it to your wide receiver (behind the line) and then he throws it back to the QB (who is still behind the line)? Why? We so rarely see that play to begin with. And it's pretty fun to watch.
I believe the rule in question is two forward passes from behind the line.

It's always been against the rules to throw two forward passes on the same play. This rule change just clarifies the penalty enforced when both passes are behind the LOS. More here:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's always been against the rules to throw two forward passes on the same play. This rule change just clarifies the penalty enforced when both passes are behind the LOS. More here:

AHHH those scenarios. Got it. I guess that kind of makes sense although I dunno... I always thought it was pretty cool when the QB catches a batted ball and gets another pass lol. Feel like it's pretty rare in the first place.

But does this mean you can't forward pass to a wide receiver behind the LOS, and then they throw it back to the QB, and the QB launches downfield? Seems like that'd be fair game but this is fuzzy. Point B below seems like it'd now be illegal:

Item 1. Illegal Passes. Any other forward pass by either team is illegal and is a foul by the passing team, including:

(a) A forward pass thrown when the passer is beyond the line of scrimmage. [Moved note that appears here.]

(b) A second forward pass thrown from behind the line of scrimmage.

(c) A forward pass thrown after the ball has crossed the line of scrimmage and has returned behind it.

(d) A forward pass thrown after there has been a change of possession.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right. It isn't explained well in the note above in this thread.

It reminds me of playing intramural ball in college... the college basketball coach was our head ref. There was a team that had a play where they would toss a flare to a player behind the LOS and then that player would throw it downfield.

Of course the first "pass" had to be a backwards pass for the play to be legal and sometimes it obviously was not. When I objected, the dumbass hoops coach ref insisted that it was legal if the first pass was completed behind the LOS... still pisses me off when I think about it.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[*]Completed a study of the sharp drop in offensive holding during the 2020 season. McKay said that Walt Anderson, the NFL's senior vice president of training and development, would clarify the standard and put together a video for teams to consume before the 2021 season.
[/LIST]
This is concerning. Walt Anderson is senile as fuck and even in his prime was a power hungry retard.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady is triggered by the uniform number rule

Tom Brady rips apart NFL's new uniform number rule: 'Going to make for a lot of bad football'​

Tom Brady should probably stick to making out with underage boys and leave football to people who aren't homosexuals.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If somebody taunts you while scoring a TD, you now had best whip his ass. Maybe the penalties offset.

If not, you still whipped his ass.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Brady should probably stick to making out with underage boys and leave football to people who aren't homosexuals.
Last time he played against linebackers wearing #6, he got benched for Scott Driesbach.

The second to last time, he got benched for Drew Henson.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time he played against linebackers wearing #6, he got benched for Scott Driesbach.

The second to last time, he got benched for Drew Henson.
This is true. He probably only played that bad because at that time he couldn't release stress by taking it out on his teenage son's mouth.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. He probably only played that bad because at that time he couldn't release stress by taking it out on his teenage son's mouth.
It’s not like he has the option of takin it out on his wife’s big ol titties.

He’s a peck guy.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is concerning. Walt Anderson is senile as fuck and even in his prime was a power hungry retard.
probably no reason to be concerned. I'm sure the NFL pays professional tech writers to handle written rule changes, and pays properly qualified professionals to produce videos they distribute to teams.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah we're in for an absolute shit show if this is what they're gonna do. Just more ways for the refs to control any game as they see fit.
I don't understand why taunting became such a big point of emphasis this offseason... It's not as if teams getting bullied were crying about it. These are grown ass men. There are very few situations where it actually becomes a distraction.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with the play or the celebration. I'm guessing the official heard a death threat or a racial slur beginning with 'N'. If so it's a flag.

If not - pick the flag up.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with the play or the celebration. I'm guessing the official heard a death threat or a racial slur beginning with 'N'. If so it's a flag.

If not - pick the flag up.
I'm hoping that is all this was... If he hadn't used any vulgar language maybe it doesn't get flagged. But the league has made it very clear that any taunting is a flag, regardless of language.