• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big Blue Wrecking Crew @ Big Brew Wrecking Crew

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Battle of the nicknames. Brew Crew fired their manager, hopefully does not light an immediate fire under them.

It would be nice to save the bullpen and have the Big Two go deep into their respective starts!

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Fightin Friars need a little help from the Brew Town Bombers.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Fightin Friars need a little help from the Brew Town Bombers.

Man Diego Madres are going to be tough once the pitching settles down a bit. Nobody will want to face your pitching staff at Petco in the lazy days of summer.

With Kewshaw and Greinke going for us, Milwaukee will be lucky with a split.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what is that, 4 homers in 5 games in the lead off role for Pederson?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what is that, 4 homers in 5 games in the lead off role for Pederson?
Yes.

He also hit one against the Giants 6 games ago, but he wasn't batting leadoff. That would make it 5 homers in 7 games. Combine that with outstanding defense and the third best walk percentage in baseball.

Unfortunately, he is 8th worst in strikeout percentage. If those other two stay high, the strikeouts won't bug me, but yea... He's striking about almost one third of the time. That's bad.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

He also hit one against the Giants 6 games ago, but he wasn't batting leadoff. That would make it 5 homers in 7 games. Combine that with outstanding defense and the third best walk percentage in baseball.

Unfortunately, he is 8th worst in strikeout percentage. If those other two stay high, the strikeouts won't bug me, but yea... He's striking about almost one third of the time. That's bad.
Exactly what he did in the minors and no different than Kemp.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what he did in the minors and no different than Kemp.
On the surface, sure, I get what you're saying, but they really shouldn't be compared. After more than a lazy look, they are really not alike at all.

Kemp has way better speed. Pederson walks a ton more. Kemp's strikeouts are from having really bad plate discipline and Pederson's are (some say) that he takes too much. So many called strikes for Pederson. Pederson doesn't chase bad pitches like Kemp. Pederson is also striking out way more than Kemp ever did. Pederson will never be the base threat that Kemp was. Pederson won't ever have Kemp's power (yeah, sorry, this home run streak won't last all season).

Joc will need to learn how to strike out less and make more contact. Sure, his OBP and SLG are through the roof but it's not realistic to expect to keep that up while you strike out the way he does. I'd be so stoked at the end of the season if I'm wrong on this one.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh I think Joc can have Kemp power (if we're talking 25-30 homers)

Joc strikes out because in part he does take too many strikes, but he has a good knowledge of the zone, he doesn't swing at bad pitches, he just swings through strikes too much. He needs to cut down on his swing with 2 strikes, I know a tough thing to teach a kid.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not arguing the approach. Agreed, as Kemp constantly swung at breaking balls (low and away) out of the zone and when his plate discipline would improve so did his results. When Kemp was not going well, he was swinging at balls out of the zone.

However, if Joc is not using is discerning eye for the ball and trying to make contact (as you note) you will see his walks decrease. That's why I consider him a total upgrade. He may strikeout as statistically often as Kemp, but situational and approach wise, he's going to be better.

Completely agree with MVPuig, no reason he cannot hit 25+ homers. And I also agree with his logic about teaching two strike hitting - spot on MVPuig.

The speed part is baffling to me.... if you are referring to Kemp prior to all of his surgeries, I see your point. But he is now a guy with knee, hip (arthritic) and ankle issues who is a defensive liability. After he stole 40 bases, his next season high was 9 stolen bases. In the four following seasons he had 26 stolen bases collectively and was caught 9 times (versus 40 stolen bases and caught 11 times for the entire 2011 season). What speed are you talking about? I saw Joc make this play (sure, his instincts and ball read skills are excellent, but you still need speed to do this). Totally disagree about "way better speed" with Kemp. Kemp was a defensive liability because he's lost his speed and has awful ball off bat recognition. Is Joc going to swipe bases? No. But neither was a hobbled Kemp.

Video: Joc Pederson made a fantastic catch and throw last night | HardballTalk

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not arguing the approach. Agreed, as Kemp constantly swung at breaking balls (low and away) out of the zone and when his plate discipline would improve so did his results. When Kemp was not going well, he was swinging at balls out of the zone.

However, if Joc is not using is discerning eye for the ball and trying to make contact (as you note) you will see his walks decrease. That's why I consider him a total upgrade. He may strikeout as statistically often as Kemp, but situational and approach wise, he's going to be better.

Completely agree with MVPuig, no reason he cannot hit 25+ homers. And I also agree with his logic about teaching two strike hitting - spot on MVPuig.

The speed part is baffling to me.... if you are referring to Kemp prior to all of his surgeries, I see your point. But he is now a guy with knee, hip (arthritic) and ankle issues who is a defensive liability. After he stole 40 bases, his next season high was 9 stolen bases. In the four following seasons he had 26 stolen bases collectively and was caught 9 times (versus 40 stolen bases and caught 11 times for the entire 2011 season). What speed are you talking about? I saw Joc make this play (sure, his instincts and ball read skills are excellent, but you still need speed to do this). Totally disagree about "way better speed" with Kemp. Kemp was a defensive liability because he's lost his speed and has awful ball off bat recognition. Is Joc going to swipe bases? No. But neither was a hobbled Kemp.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When can we officially put an end to the Coulombe experiment?

I have never seen a pitcher get more reps that literally shows no upside whatsoever.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When can we officially put an end to the Coulombe experiment?

I have never seen a pitcher get more reps that literally shows no upside whatsoever.

He's 25. He has 5.1 career innings in the bigs. What the hell are you talking about?

I'm talking about pre-injury Kemp. Who hit 40 homers.

Of course I'm talking about pre-injury Kemp. There's no way that Pederson will be a base threat like Kemp was.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmmm about Joc's power...

Joc made that game worth it pretty much. lol

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 25. He has 5.1 career innings in the bigs. What the hell are you talking about?

I'm talking about pre-injury Kemp. Who hit 40 homers.

Of course I'm talking about pre-injury Kemp. There's no way that Pederson will be a base threat like Kemp was.
I don't understand why it matters to talk about what a guy was.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of a sudden the switch-hitting Grandal is batting .301. Even with injuries to Ryu, Jansen, Puig and Crawford, the Dodgers keep pulling out games. The depth is real folks.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering the same thing. Not sure what point was being made.
He likes to be contrarian and then twist other's posts. It's kind of weird.

Great win today! Yasmanian Devil!!!

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of a sudden the switch-hitting Grandal is batting .301. Even with injuries to Ryu, Jansen, Puig and Crawford, the Dodgers keep pulling out games. The depth is real folks.
Well, it was a split with Milwaukee... Have to love how this team is hitting. But they will come back down to earth and when they do, let's hope the rotation is solidified.