• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 10 considering changing conference rules to ensure Ohio State qualifies for Big 10 Championship Game

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're aware that Nebraska's breaking ground on 150 million dollar facilities right?
Too little, too late. Nebraska has become a fly-over state when it comes to recruiting top-notch athletes.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure. Wisconsin was told they were out after being 1-0 and missing two games. Would Ohio State's incentive have been lost if they were told early after missing two games. It is too bad for the players, but undefeated teams have been left out of the playoffs before and those players were cheated also, as will Coastal Carolina this year.
But you are most likely right, money will always trump hypocrisy and integrity.
Was that an official statement by the B1G that Wisconsin was out?

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too little, too late. Nebraska has become a fly-over state when it comes to recruiting top-notch athletes.
Maybe, but it doesn't hurt having the nice facilities. I know that Nebraska doesn't have any competitive edge anywhere in college football. We are 25 years behind on our strength conditioning and nutrition before Frost took over. Frost is essentially doing a complete rebuild of a blue blood program it will take time to get us back in the black for the win loss column. I think more importantly than having blue Chip players is having players that want to play for a coach and fit your coaching system and style. Then once you have a system in place it's easier to recruit to that system and you don't necessarily need the five stars to make it run efficiently.

When Frank solich was fired it blew up 40 years of recruiting in roads that Nebraska had made. Add in the head coaching turnover Nebraska's had over the last 17 years, it would really be hard for any program to survive.

Nebraska is in the best place it can be under Frost, it will still take in my opinion until year five to really gain traction to start competing and winning on a consistent basis.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that an official statement by the B1G that Wisconsin was out?
No for sure, but that was the rule at the time, and there was no indication that it could change.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No for sure, but that was the rule at the time, and there was no indication that it could change.
There may have been no official statement by the B1G about Wisky as it was so early in the season there was no need. I find it hard to believe if they won out and were ranked in the top 4 that that B1G would not bend over backwards to help them qualify for the playoffs and those millions.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet ya the IU lawyers will have something to say on this??

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There may have been no official statement by the B1G about Wisky as it was so early in the season there was no need. I find it hard to believe if they won out and were ranked in the top 4 that that B1G would not bend over backwards to help them qualify for the playoffs and those millions.
Well , we can agree that the B1G looks pretty stupid for putting the rule in , in the first place. But I still believe psychology plays a big part in college sports. When incentive is removed it can have a negative effect not only in games but in practice. Once Wisconsin felt that by the rule they were out it, they were toast.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for everyone about this screwed up football season.

Should the NCAA have enacted a policy/rule that if you have to cancel any games this season that it will be a forfeit? That doesn't mean a team couldn't play a game if a number of players tested positive and sat out...... if you have enough to field a team and want to play, you are good to go. Because how is it fair to teams/players if Team A has strict rules and everyone is very careful and doesn't have any cases, but TEam B is careless and has to cancel numerous games. Thoughts?

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Should the NCAA have enacted a policy/rule that if you have to cancel any games this season that it will be a forfeit? That doesn't mean a team couldn't play a game if a number of players tested positive and sat out...... if you have enough to field a team and want to play, you are good to go. Because how is it fair to teams/players if Team A has strict rules and everyone is very careful and doesn't have any cases, but TEam B is careless and has to cancel numerous games. Thoughts?

But what if both teams have enough players to field a team and are willing to play, but Team A's state has stricter laws or governor executive orders than Team B's state that prohibit Team A from playing -- should Team A then be punished with a forfeit for laws or executive orders that are out of their control?

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've debated about this. But I think overall it should not count as a forfeit. I think all teams/conferences should've been more active in making replacement games when games were cancelled though. Especially the conferences that had extra late starts and even fewer games to play to start with.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Big Ten AD's are meeting today I'm assuming we'll have an answer about what they intend to do today as well, correct? Does it need to be a unanimous vote from AD's to change the rule, or just a certain percentage or can the commissioner make the decision himself?

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Big Ten AD's are meeting today I'm assuming we'll have an answer about what they intend to do today as well, correct? Does it need to be a unanimous vote from AD's to change the rule, or just a certain percentage or can the commissioner make the decision himself?
I'm surprised we haven't heard anything yet.

honestly, the conference stands to lose big money if they screw OSU, they need to simply throw the stupid 6 game rule out, let OSU play the CCG, and go to the playoffs. I would love if they could find a game for OSU within the conference with some team they haven't played yet.

Sorry Rutgers, that game simply doesn't matter. OSU Maryland could be made up on Saturday.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised we haven't heard anything yet.

honestly, the conference stands to lose big money if they screw OSU, they need to simply throw the stupid 6 game rule out, let OSU play the CCG, and go to the playoffs. I would love if they could find a game for OSU within the conference with some team they haven't played yet.

Sorry Rutgers, that game simply doesn't matter. OSU Maryland could be made up on Saturday.
I think that's the route they'll go. Like you said, that game doesn't matter and it won't look as bad for the Big Ten if they simply reschedule a game rather than change the rules on the fly. Plus it will give OSU another game, and another data point for the CFP to look at. Win-win for the Big Ten/Ohio State, unless somehow Maryland would win the game, lol.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's the route they'll go. Like you said, that game doesn't matter and it won't look as bad for the Big Ten if they simply reschedule a game rather than change the rules on the fly. Plus it will give OSU another game, and another data point for the CFP to look at. Win-win for the Big Ten/Ohio State, unless somehow Maryland would win the game, lol.

No other sport except college football would keep a useless scheduled game going to cancel a game that could help the conference.

At some point college athletics needs major change. Covid is showing first hand the issues

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good. do it. it would be a travesty if the best team in the league was kept out due to no fault of their own. certain rules need to be thrown in the dumpster in this covid football season.

Just praying right now that the MSU game actually happens....... :hope::hope::hope::hope::hope::hope:
I agree with everything here, but I also want the B1G to suffer for their truly awful decisions. Nothing against Ohio State.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just like that the 6 game rule is out the door. December 19 tOSU vs NW. As a fan I'm very disappointed that they couldn't reschedule any game this Saturday. I think I'm the long run this will come back and bite is in the CAN playoff with the lack of games getting more experience and not really knowing what weaknesses we have. That's assuming we get the nod. If IT upsets Bama, and that very well could happen, we have a shit show on our hanfs. If we don't get in, that's on the lack of leadership of the B1G. I'll still be happy watching them in a January bowl game. I cannot wait for 2020 to end.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before all you Karen's get up in arms, please keep in mind that even if Ohio State played scUM this weekend and lost, they would still win the East based on the tie-breaker win with Indiana.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from the article about the decision.....

"The Big Ten's athletic directors met on Wednesday morning, and while there was support to allow the Buckeyes in the conference championship with only five games, the policy change still has to be voted on by a larger group that includes the athletic directors and the senior women administrators, and it has to ultimately receive approval from the university presidents and chancellors."

WTF?? Who the hell are they? and why do they matter????

miah

Well Hung Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know Uran Meyer's the reason the Florida football progam has had virus issues? That's right. Everything's Urbans fault.

:markmay:
Bwahaha!! How can this be? I was told it was the orange guys fault. :scratch: