• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BETTER NOT TRADE WALKER or MILLER

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I don't value a player with 6 years of MLB time and only 1 standout season as highly as they do. I completely believe a trade with prospects on the level of Paxton and Franklin and probably a few others would get it done.

Hopefully we get the chance to find out.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how everyone would view a trade of Paxton for Trumbo straight up? I heard we had interest before and he also fills a need being a RH bat OF/1B. I think personally this would be an overpay but I wonder how they look at it? It's even less likely we trade in our division but like I said Z was supposedly interested and he has "HR" power that Z loves too.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how everyone would view a trade of Paxton for Trumbo straight up? I heard we had interest before and he also fills a need being a RH bat OF/1B. I think personally this would be an overpay but I wonder how they look at it? It's even less likely we trade in our division but like I said Z was supposedly interested and he has "HR" power that Z loves too.

I personallly would be very interested in that trade. We need the right handed bat and I'm not completely sold on Paxton.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little bit of good news if you believe it, someone posted a Twitter quote from Jack Z saying he had no intention of trading Walker on Lookout Landing comments. Again, if you believe it. For me it at least gives some credibility to the idea that the Price deal might not happen.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I say no. Trumbo reminds me of a Mark Reynolds too much. He swings for the fences and strikes out way too often. Also, there's more to an offense than HRs, as the Mariners found out last year (2nd in the MLB in HRs, but 22nd in runs).

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Mariners believe David Price "would be theirs" if they agree to include Taijuan Walker in a trade.

Heyman notes, however, that the M's don't want to deal Walker (or James Paxton for that matter) and would rather build a package for Price around position players. If that's truly the case, then it's hard to imagine a trade going down between the two. The Dodgers and Rangers are the other two clubs expected to pursue a deal for Price.

Good luck with that GMJ. If we had position players worth dealing, we wouldn't need free agents. What, give them Ackley/Franklin/Zunino/Miller?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck with that GMJ. If we had position players worth dealing, we wouldn't need free agents. What, give them Ackley/Franklin/Zunino/Miller?

I cannot imagine the Rays accept any deal from the Mariners that does not include Paxton or Walker.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt mind trading Miller for Price hes only 4 years younger than him and i think this team looks better with Felix,Price,Kuma,Walker in the rotation than any lineup with miller in it. I would package a Miller,ackley, paxton,smoak deal for him

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just a big Miller fan. I see a lot of Pedroia in him from the SS spot. Just a gutsy player who will hit in the majors for years.

A lot of people on here say they would not deal Zunino for Price and I don't get that at all. I like Zunino, but he wouldn't keep me from getting Price. I would prefer Sale though and would do Walker and others for him and De Aza. Maybe they would take Paxton/Zunino/Ackley/Franklin Sale/De Aza. It would make my day.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just a big Miller fan. I see a lot of Pedroia in him from the SS spot. Just a gutsy player who will hit in the majors for years.

A lot of people on here say they would not deal Zunino for Price and I don't get that at all. I like Zunino, but he wouldn't keep me from getting Price. I would prefer Sale though and would do Walker and others for him and De Aza. Maybe they would take Paxton/Zunino/Ackley/Franklin Sale/De Aza. It would make my day.
I've been wrong before, but I agree with you on Miller. I hope he hangs around because with his speed and swing I think he's a great cheap leadoff guy. He's also got some sneaky pop. A couple of those HRs last year were impressive.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The M's have minimal catching depth behind Zunino and they haven't had anything legitimate at that position since Wilson retired. They owe it to themselves to give Zunino a full-time shot back there. The only scenario in which he becomes expendable is if the Mariners sign or make another trade for an established catcher (I don't know if there are any teams looking to shop their established catchers and I haven't perused the FA group of catchers, but I can't imagine there's anybody out there with a bigger upside than Zunino), or a prospect on the same level as Zunino (in which case, why not just keep Zunino?).

Besides, unless you have an agreement in hand with Price for a long-term extension prior to trading for him, you'd essentially be giving up more than a handful of years of control of Zunino for two years of Price or a year plus of Price followed by whatever you could get in a trade for him at the deadline before he becomes a free agent. I think the M's need a good starting catcher a lot more than they need another ace in the short-term. The type of pitcher the M's should be looking for is a guy that they can slot between the established stars at the top (Felix and Iwakuma) and the promising rookies (Walker and Paxton assuming one of them doesn't get traded) towards the bottom.

You obviously don't want to see him go to LA or Texas, but you shouldn't trade for him with a guy who has an opportunity to be the answer to all your concerns at a thin position as part of the package, just to avoid the possibility of him ending up with a rival team.

Last edited by a moderator:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would not include Zunino in a package for Price simply because the Mariners have very little organizational depth at catcher.