• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BETTER NOT TRADE WALKER or MILLER

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think as soon as you guys got Robby, trading Walker became a foregone conclusion. He's as good as gone. You don't go out and get a guy like Cano and stand pat, you step on the gas.

Newsflash kids, you have a 5-6 year window to win the World Series or this was all for naught.

And that's where good FA signings and player development comes in play instead of dealing your best prospect. The Mariners don't have the luxury of over floated prospects like the Yankees.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All for trading Walker, but if and only if we get equivalent offensive prospective talent in return.

Acquiring a good free agent like Cano is 1 piece of more than a dozen that must be completed to create a perennial contender. It's a good one. But the rest cannot be done with free agents alone. Good trades are revenue-neutral, and an integral part to building a team that will be in the playoff hunt more than fleetingly.

To get quality, you have to trade quality. Otherwise you just end up shuffling shit between teams as the M's have done for the better part of a decade.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's where good FA signings and player development comes in play instead of dealing your best prospect. The Mariners don't have the luxury of over floated prospects like the Yankees.

That would be great if we had any decent player development outside of a few pitching prospects.

Free agent signings, alone, won't fix our problems or help us turn into a contender. If anything, the Yanks's lack of internal player development and over-reliance on free agent signings are the examples that prove it. You won't see them signing another a-rod/cano type contract to a position player until the player comes right out of their own farm.

Now, the Yanks new strategy is to rely equally on farm building, free agents signings, and trades...like other teams that want to contend in this new age of less PED use.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think as soon as you guys got Robby, trading Walker became a foregone conclusion. He's as good as gone. You don't go out and get a guy like Cano and stand pat, you step on the gas.

Newsflash kids, you have a 5-6 year window to win the World Series or this was all for naught.

LOL... Exactly 5-6 year window. Walker will be on the team that entire time period. Price will be in Seattle for 2 seasons.

Please don't step on the gas so much we run out of gas in 2 seasons and change our window from 5-6 years into 2 years.

WTF are you talking about?

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No
Please JZ, say NO to trading Walker.

oh the irony, """""JZ"""""

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prospects don't really mean much. I'm fine if they trade Walker for Price. With Price, we get a great 1st half of the Starting rotation. Walker is still a prospect and there's a chance he may not fare well in Seattle. So I'd say trade the questionable future for an assured Starting Pitcher.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent signings, alone, won't fix our problems or help us turn into a contender. If anything, the Yanks's lack of internal player development and over-reliance on free agent signings are the examples that prove it. You won't see them signing another a-rod/cano type contract to a position player until the player comes right out of their own farm.

You're saying that free agent signings alone, won't fix your problems or help turn your mariners into a contender, and that the Yankees lack of internal player development and over-reliance on free agent signings are the examples that prove that is doesn't work, when the Yankees used that very philosophy in the winter of 2008 to win a World Series in 2009.

Brilliant.

Serious question, are you even paying attention?

You got the last part right except you included Cano.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be great if we had any decent player development outside of a few pitching prospects.

Now, the Yanks new strategy is to rely equally on farm building, free agents signings, and trades...like other teams that want to contend in this new age of less PED use.

So then you're ok with dealing the M"s top unknown for another unknown hitter? If they trade him for Price that is worse than the Fister deal. Price is going to want Felix money and he will be another Cliff Lee deal. If the organization is going to grow they can't keep just getting prospects and there is noons on the market, including Kemp that is worth giving up Walker.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not in favor of a reckless trade.

We don't have anybody good enough to be considered off the table is all.

If our team's front office and Nintendo ownership are ready to play with the big boys, I'll be glad. Signing Cano was a good first step, but there's a long way to go, trying to purchase all of it is moronic. Since we have literally zero veteran talent worth a shit, our options are limited.

It will take extra shrewdness and forethought.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better not even think of trading those two. Miller I have a great feeling is going to be a rock in the lineup hitting with Seager and Cano. With Walker, I hope Seattle learned its lesson the first time when they traded an inning eating pit bull in Doug Fister. Not having a good 3-5 in the rotation ate our bullpen alive last year in innings pitched.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....With Walker, I hope Seattle learned its lesson the first time when they traded an inning eating pit bull in Doug Fister.

Just because Seattle sucks at it doesn't mean big trades aren't an important part of team building. Every team that contends over a span of years has a front office that can do it effectively.

The M's also suck at farm building, but they won't learn a "lesson" by just not trying it anymore.

Until Seattle proves they can do all 3 (buy free agents, trade, and farm build), we'll go exactly nowhere.

Cano doesn't fix our team's entire outfield (a joke right now), bullpen (historically bad, and needing at least 4-5 quality arms to fix it), or the overall dearth of 4-5 decent hitters in the lineup, especially in its middle. There aren't enough free agents out there to fix these problems, even if Nintendo was willing to pony up the dough.

If it costs Walker to get good pieces that can fix those problems, then I'm not going to freak out over it. If the front office does it irresponsibly (which is likely), then that's a different story.

I'm betting a deal will come out soon enough that will involve Franklin, possibly Ackley, and almost definitely Walker or Paxton. If not, then this front office is truly incompetent.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because Seattle sucks at it doesn't mean big trades aren't an important part of team building. Every team that contends over a span of years has a front office that can do it effectively.

The M's also suck at farm building, but they won't learn a "lesson" by just not trying it anymore.

Until Seattle proves they can do all 3 (buy free agents, trade, and farm build), we'll go exactly nowhere.

Cano doesn't fix our team's entire outfield (a joke right now), bullpen (historically bad, and needing at least 4-5 quality arms to fix it), or the overall dearth of 4-5 decent hitters in the lineup, especially in its middle. There aren't enough free agents out there to fix these problems, even if Nintendo was willing to pony up the dough.

If it costs Walker to get good pieces that can fix those problems, then I'm not going to freak out over it. If the front office does it irresponsibly (which is likely), then that's a different story.

I'm betting a deal will come out soon enough that will involve Franklin, possibly Ackley, and almost definitely Walker or Paxton. If not, then this front office is truly incompetent.

Just curious, in your opinion is Walker worth trading for Kemp or Price. If not them who.

IMO Kemp or Price wouldn't be worth Walker but Stanton would be.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, in your opinion is Walker worth trading for Kemp or Price. If not them who.

IMO Kemp or Price wouldn't be worth Walker but Stanton would be.

I would consider a deal for Carlos Gomez.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would consider a deal for Carlos Gomez.

Are you saying you would consider trading for Gomez with Walker? Do you think it would take Walker to trade for him?

I think you could get Gomez with a package not involving Walker personally. I don't view the Brewers farm system as all that strong right now. Because of that you might be able to entice them more with quantity of prospects. Rather than 1 big name prospect and change. I could be wrong, but a thought.

All that being said I like your idea of Gomez I think he is the kind of player we should be looking at... Just getting into his prime, still young and has more than 1-2 seasons left on contract. Plus he is a RH bat which the Mariners could use.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to see us get fleeced. I love the Rays but I HATE how they always just straight up demand shit. I still can't believe they talked KC into giving up Meyers. I mean we're just going to hand them over another major prospect (an ace at that) PLUS more in a package for 2 lame years of Price? That's some bullshit. I don't want to "help" the Rays acquire more cheap high ceiling talent. They have enough... Let them find another sucker. I always thought Profar was too much too give up too so I'm glad Texas didn't give in either. Farm your own talent Tampa!

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said earlier on the other site, Walker only should go in a Price deal if Myers is included. Otherwise, why trade the possible next price plus more for the current price and two years? Makes no sense. I am happy with Cano, but Jack has to realize that getting big names isn't the goal. The goal should be to add talent to what we currently have and Walker is apart of that current talent.

Franklin is obviously expendable now unless he can play SS full-time then you deal Miller (which I would rather not do). Like others have mentioned, why not just sign a free agent arm instead? I say go get Colon for a two year deal which would save them a few million and top prospects. Then add a Garza, Tanaka, or Jimenez to finish off the rotation. Then add Hart and Choo, and trade Franklin/Ackley and Paxton for another OF bat.

It's just that easy. :lol:

It's not that easy. For one you don't know how other organizations value our prospects. There's a lot of factors.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying you would consider trading for Gomez with Walker? Do you think it would take Walker to trade for him?

I think you could get Gomez with a package not involving Walker personally. I don't view the Brewers farm system as all that strong right now. Because of that you might be able to entice them more with quantity of prospects. Rather than 1 big name prospect and change. I could be wrong, but a thought.

All that being said I like your idea of Gomez I think he is the kind of player we should be looking at... Just getting into his prime, still young and has more than 1-2 seasons left on contract. Plus he is a RH bat which the Mariners could use.

I didn't originally think it would take Walker to get him, but after writing something similar last week about this on another site they all blasted it saying no way you get him w/o Walker. I was saying like Paxton and Franklin deal and you could throw in Saunders and/or Smoak. We don't need any of them and even at that I think it would be overpay, but still worth it since we are maybe able to sign free agents now...maybe.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that easy. For one you don't know how other organizations value our prospects. There's a lot of factors.

The last part was called sarcasm. Hence the :lol: at the end.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't originally think it would take Walker to get him, but after writing something similar last week about this on another site they all blasted it saying no way you get him w/o Walker. I was saying like Paxton and Franklin deal and you could throw in Saunders and/or Smoak. We don't need any of them and even at that I think it would be overpay, but still worth it since we are maybe able to sign free agents now...maybe.

I guess I don't value a player with 6 years of MLB time and only 1 standout season as highly as they do. I completely believe a trade with prospects on the level of Paxton and Franklin and probably a few others would get it done.