• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BEST COWBOYS QUARTERBACK EVER!!!

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knows times are different, rules are different. Stats can lie. That does not have to even be mentioned. Talent, however is evident and whoever states that Romo could not have done great in those other eras is a poor judge of talent. I can see that most people see the rings and they think “talent.” Many great QBs do not have rings: Tarkington, Fouts, Archie Manning, Marino, Jergonson to name just a few. Don’t be blinded by the bling and judge players on their talents. Have a great day.

With all due respect...

States are wonderful. The eye test is what I rely on. And as a 51 year fan of the Cowboys who has seen pretty much every game they have played since the mid-60’s, here is no question whatsoever that that Staubach and Aikman are 1/2. Opinions vary on the next three but there is no argument in the top two other than the order and I simply maintain that Staubach in a Walsh offense would have shone and Aikman in a 790’s offense would have shone.

Peace.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all due respect...

States are wonderful. The eye test is what I rely on. And as a 51 year fan of the Cowboys who has seen pretty much every game they have played since the mid-60’s, here is no question whatsoever that that Staubach and Aikman are 1/2. Opinions vary on the next three but there is no argument in the top two other than the order and I simply maintain that Staubach in a Walsh offense would have shone and Aikman in a 790’s offense would have shone.

Peace.
Sir Robin you are right on.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DCDC1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta feeling DCDC1 will read that and his thinking will change just about as much as people’s minds have changed after watching his clip.
Just a different opinions from people, just like us.

DCDC1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different opinions

DCDC1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a different opinions from people, just like us.
ROMOTOOWENS, I think you get it! We don’t look at just hardware. Staubach was amazing. Heisman trophy winner, Navy for 4 years and still came in and played well. Still, you look at the skill and abilities of the player, the players they played with, the defenses they played with, and you formulate your opinion. And the best thing is, and the reason we can do this, is that we all have opinions and they are all good and everyone can prove why they are right. If the team of the 2000’s, notice I say team, had 1 Super Bowl win, people would be saying Romo was the best or number 2. That’s the way people think. Have a good night guys. Go Cowboys.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ROMOTOOWENS, I think you get it! We don’t look at just hardware. Staubach was amazing. Heisman trophy winner, Navy for 4 years and still came in and played well. Still, you look at the skill and abilities of the player, the players they played with, the defenses they played with, and you formulate your opinion. And the best thing is, and the reason we can do this, is that we all have opinions and they are all good and everyone can prove why they are right. If the team of the 2000’s, notice I say team, had 1 Super Bowl win, people would be saying Romo was the best or number 2. That’s the way people think. Have a good night guys. Go Cowboys.
I could see #2, no way I could see #1.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most years Romo wasn't even top 5 against his contemporaries. What did he have, maybe 3 years that he was top 5? If you justify him by stats, his stats need to be great, not just good and they weren't. How many full seasons did he even play? So now he is better than one of the best ever in Staubach? It's fine to love a player and have him be your favorite, but when you cross lines like that you are going to get criticized and rightly so. Romo ended his career as a very underrated player because of this erroneous tag of being a choker, which he was not. He was a very good QB. If he had better teams he might have even been a HOFer or at least would have been in the discussion. But he did have teams that could have won it all and he didn't step up when he needed to the most. He did things over and over like we saw from Dak in the red zone yesterday like taking sacks or worse throwing Ints due to careless decisions. He just did dumb things at the worst times and that is part of the picture too and it held back his teams.

Don't forget these guys today play 16 games per year. Johnny Unitas had a career passer rating of 78.2 and less passing yards than Kerry Collins and Vinny Testaverde. Testaverde has more yards and TDs than Montana. If you use stats you basically have the top 10 QBs being all guys who played this millennium. If you want to go by stats the best QB ever is probably Drew Brees. The game has changed. Pat Mahomes through 11 games this year, in basically his first season ever, has thrown for more TDs than Romo ever did in any season in his career and has a higher passer rating than Romo ever did. Mahomes is 23 years old. Romo never even was able to start a game until he was 26.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't speak about Staubach, didn't get to see him play. Setting Staubach aside, Aikman was better than Romo hands down, IMO. Screw the stats, Aikman was a legit great QB. In his prime, Aikman rarely hurt his team, and could accurately make all the throws you needed a QB to make. Romo was a very good player who flirted with greatness at times. Romo's 2014 was as about as good as a QB can play, IMO. Problem with Romo is there were too many times where he flat out killed the team's chances of winning for him to be considered a truly great QB, IMO.

Then there is playoff success...

I wonder what Aikman could do in today's NFL?

DCDC1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most years Romo wasn't even top 5 against his contemporaries. What did he have, maybe 3 years that he was top 5? If you justify him by stats, his stats need to be great, not just good and they weren't. How many full seasons did he even play? So now he is better than one of the best ever in Staubach? It's fine to love a player and have him be your favorite, but when you cross lines like that you are going to get criticized and rightly so. Romo ended his career as a very underrated player because of this erroneous tag of being a choker, which he was not. He was a very good QB. If he had better teams he might have even been a HOFer or at least would have been in the discussion. But he did have teams that could have won it all and he didn't step up when he needed to the most. He did things over and over like we saw from Dak in the red zone yesterday like taking sacks or worse throwing Ints due to careless decisions. He just did dumb things at the worst times and that is part of the picture too and it held back his teams.

Don't forget these guys today play 16 games per year. Johnny Unitas had a career passer rating of 78.2 and less passing yards than Kerry Collins and Vinny Testaverde. Testaverde has more yards and TDs than Montana. If you use stats you basically have the top 10 QBs being all guys who played this millennium. If you want to go by stats the best QB ever is probably Drew Brees. The game has changed. Pat Mahomes through 11 games this year, in basically his first season ever, has thrown for more TDs than Romo ever did in any season in his career and has a higher passer rating than Romo ever did. Mahomes is 23 years old. Romo never even was able to start a game until he was 26.
Romo had maybe 2 years where his defense was good enough to get him there. The rest of the years they were soft. I remember the last game at Texas stadium, which was cold as hell, the Cowboys gave up 2 70+ runs in a row after Romo kept bringing the team back to take the lead. Staubach has years, if not all 10, maybe 8/10 years with a good defense, equaling more chances to make it all the way. Again, it’s a team sport. Talent wise, Aikman does not come close to Staubach or Romo. I think he has admitted as much in the past. Ability to get the ball out and escaping, which is equal over all eras, probably goes to Romo but Staubach was an amazing scrambler.
If you don’t have a great team, like Archie Manning, you’re not going to win all the time, but it doesn’t mean that the guy that won more was better than you, just that the team was better. So if you can’t compare stats, you can’t compare wins as it is a team sport, then you are left with talent and it that case Romo and Staubach are tops and White and Aikman are comparable.

DCDC1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will agree to disagree. Let’s start a new topic. Phil Pozderic would have been a great QB. . For those who remember Landry’s Nervous announcement.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo had maybe 2 years where his defense was good enough to get him there. The rest of the years they were soft. I remember the last game at Texas stadium, which was cold as hell, the Cowboys gave up 2 70+ runs in a row after Romo kept bringing the team back to take the lead. Staubach has years, if not all 10, maybe 8/10 years with a good defense, equaling more chances to make it all the way. Again, it’s a team sport. (1)Talent wise, Aikman does not come close to Staubach or Romo. (2)I think he has admitted as much in the past. (3)Ability to get the ball out and escaping, which is equal over all eras, probably goes to Romo but Staubach was an amazing scrambler.
If you don’t have a great team, like Archie Manning, you’re not going to win all the time, but it doesn’t mean that the guy that won more was better than you, just that the team was better. So if you can’t compare stats, you can’t compare wins as it is a team sport, then you are left with talent and it that case Romo and Staubach are tops and White and Aikman are comparable.

1. That is debatable as it pertains to Romo and Aikman. IMO, Aikman had a better arm, and was every bit as accurate as Romo, if not more so.

2. Could possibly just be an attempt at modesty on Aikman's part.

3. This is the one area where I thought Romo was elite. He was good to very good at most aspects of playing QB, but his mobility in the pocket for most of his career was special.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice post Jarntt, some hard truths in there.

But I take issue with the bold. I think that overlooks one of Romo's greatest feat. 10 years of playing at a top 10 level for 10 years. That is the real question today with guys like Mahomes ..is it real or do you get a Nick Foles in season 2?

Romo's blunders are real. But you can't let the shadow of them cover his 29 game winning drives. Those were real too.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But I take issue with the bold. I think that overlooks one of Romo's greatest feat. 10 years of playing at a top 10 level for 10 years. That is the real question today with guys like Mahomes ..is it real or do you get a Nick Foles in season 2?

Romo's blunders are real. But you can't let the shadow of them cover his 29 game winning drives. Those were real too.

My point on Mahomes isn't to say he is better than Romo, it was to show how the game has changed. In just a couple of years it is totally different now and if you use stats alone, Mahomes' are way better than Romo's. Now imagine going from Romo's era decades back to Staubach's and how much the game has changed.

DCDC1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are correct in doing something over the long haul is a good standard to base yourself on. Defenses adjust and then you take someone like RG3 who seemed unstoppable and then he disappeared even after coming back from injury. Defenses adjust well to quarterbacks and the good quarterbacks that can read defenses well succeed

DCDC1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So quick question: Who’s better, Brady or Brees?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct in doing something over the long haul is a good standard to base yourself on. Defenses adjust and then you take someone like RG3 who seemed unstoppable and then he disappeared even after coming back from injury. Defenses adjust well to quarterbacks and the good quarterbacks that can read defenses well succeed
I'm not sure Romo had a "long haul" when comparing him to most top QBs of his era did he? He had some really good seasons