• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears Game Notes

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Blog
Florida State DEs continue to shine
November, 12, 2012 5:47PM ET
By Kevin Weidl

I went on the road in Week 11 to scout a pair of games featuring some big names, including a trio of possible first-round picks.

On Thursday night I headed to Blacksburg for the Florida State-Virginia Tech game and got my second look of the season at Florida State's standout defensive ends.

Cornellius Carradine and Bjoern Werner both carry first-round grades at this point, but Carradine was the more impressive of the two against the Hokies. His frame couldn't be pieced together much better, and he showed natural power and strength throughout the night.

Cornellius Carradine is coming on strong late in 2012.

His first step as a pass-rusher isn't elite, but Carradine uses his hands well and showed the ability to use multiple moves to get pressure. He was effective at one point countering with an outside swim move, and he displayed good bend around the edge.

I also like his strength to hold the point of attack against the run, to keep contain, and then disengage and work down the line to the ball carrier. He's not quite as instinctive as Werner, but Carradine appears to have more natural ability and upside. He looks like a first-rounder right now and could continue rising as scouts get a better look at his late-season tape.

As for Werner, he was relatively quiet against Virginia Tech, but his instincts are solid, and he's a versatile prospect who holds up against the run and flashes the ability to be productive as a pass-rusher. He got lots of early hype but has cooled off some, and while Werner was disruptive at times against the Hokies, he looks more like a late first-rounder than a top-10 overall pick.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First look at QB Wilson

I moved on to South Carolina on Saturday, when the Gamecocks hosted Arkansas and QB Tyler Wilson. It was my first time seeing Wilson live this season, and I got glimpses of the talent that has him in the first-round conversation.

Wilson has an adequate build and an over-the-top-to-three-quarters release, and he appears to have a live arm. However, it's his toughness that stood out most. Wilson took a beating from the South Carolina defense but remained strong in the pocket throughout the day.

That toughness was on display on a first-quarter play when Wilson stepped up in the pocket on third down to allow WR Cobi Hamilton to get to an open passing window and delivered the throw for a first down as a defender delivered a heavy blow. Wilson also took a big shot while delivering a second-quarter touchdown pass to Keon Hatcher, and he flashed some accuracy as well as the ability to change release points.

Wilson was inconsistent with his ball placement underneath, though. He had several throws that required receivers to adjust to the ball because it was high or thrown slightly behind them. He also failed to recognize the coverage and forced a throw on a third-quarter interception that was returned for a touchdown.

Overall, though, it's clear Wilson has the physical tools to entice teams into giving him a late-first-round grade. There is still work to be done on his character and leadership qualities, but based on the tape and what I saw in person, Wilson likely will get into that first-round discussion.

More from FSU-VT

Florida State QB EJ Manuel (Grade:79): A big, athletic prospect whose ball comes off his hand cleanly. Manuel did a good job recognizing and beating the blitz at times but also showed a tendency to lower his eyes to the pass rush when his first read was covered. He also showed a lack of anticipation on some deep balls, hanging a few up and allowing defenders to catch up to them.

He showed some mettle on the Seminoles' last-minute, game-winning drive on the road in cold weather, but overall Manuel looks more like a mid-round developmental prospect than a franchise-type quarterback.

Florida State CB Xavier Rhodes (78): A tough, physical corner with good size, Rhodes made a big hit on a screen pass, and displayed the fluidity to turn and run with receivers. His top-end speed is a question, though, and Rhodes looks like he'll top out as a Day 2 pick.

Virginia Tech DE James Gayle (67): Has a great build for a 3-4 outside linebacker, and I liked the focus he showed from warm-ups through the game. He is stout and plays with leverage and strong hands against the run, and as a pass-rusher, he can dip his shoulder and turn the corner. His motor never stops, and Gayle beat both an offensive tackle and a running back to get a pressure in the second quarter.

Florida State LBs Vince Williams (64) and Christian Jones (no grade): Williams is a bit tight in space, but he has decent instincts and flashed good straight-line speed in pursuit. He played a physical game and could be a good value in the fourth or fifth round.

Jones plays on the strong side, has a good build and was all over the field against Tech. His instincts, range and body control stand out, and he's a three-down linebacker worth keeping an eye on.

Virginia Tech WR Corey Fuller (60): He has a lean frame, but Fuller shows the toughness to work the middle and is a fluid route-runner through traffic. He has solid hands, and did a good job against the Seminoles of tracking a second-quarter fade route over his shoulder and keeping his feet inbounds for a touchdown. Fuller is coming on lately, and has a chance to be a mid-Day 3 pick who could make a roster and contribute as a No. 3 or No. 4 receiver.

His awareness also is very good, and whether he comes out this year or next, Gayle has the potential to get into the second-round range.

Virginia Tech LB Bruce Taylor (59): Showed his instincts on a first-quarter sack, but Taylor is a limited athlete and a two-down linebacker who looks like a Day 3 prospect.

Virginia Tech WR Marcus Davis (57): A frustrating prospect to evaluate. Davis has a good size/speed combination, and showed his big-play ability in the first quarter when he got behind the defense, then opened up to adjust and make the catch.

However, he also had two key drops on deep balls in the second half. He clearly has talent, perhaps enough to get into the second round, but his inconsistency in terms of hands and route-running could drop him into Day 3.

Florida State K Dustin Hopkins (55): He's approaching the all-time NCAA scoring record for kickers, and Hopkins showed a live leg in drilling a 52-yarder in the wind and cold in Blacksburg. He's the rare kicker worth a midround pick.

Florida State DB Lamarcus Joyner (54): Plays with great energy and has some serious burst. Joyner also has an extra gear both in the back and as a return man. He was quiet for the most part against the Hokies but did provide a bit of a spark with some big kickoff returns. He's just a junior but someone worth noting.

Receivers shine for Razorbacks, Gamecocks

South Carolina LB DeVonte Holloman (78): Is a little tight in space, but has a physical edge near the box, can hold the point, and shows the ability to shed blockers and make the tackle. Holloman is a former safety who has some underneath cover skills despite his tightness and has the look of a good value later on Day 2.

Arkansas RB Dennis Johnson (73): He's built like Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew, with thick legs and the power to bounce off contact and churn out extra yards. He showed his potential as a pass-catcher with a couple of nice catches but also had a couple of drops. Johnson changes direction well and could be a good pickup early on Day 3.

Arkansas WR Cobi Hamilton (72): I like what I've seen on tape, and in person Hamilton displays long arms, big hands and smooth routes for his size. He was not overly explosive, but he is strong, and showed on a first-half dig route the ability to pluck on the run and pick up extra yards with a stiff-arm.

He also made a nice grab on a split route down the middle, and tracked and adjusted nicely to a back-shoulder fade. His top-end speed remains a question, but at this point Hamilton looks to be a third-round prospect.

South Carolina S D.J. Swearinger (61): Instincts and an aggressive, physical style stuck out for Swearinger. He closed with reckless abandon all day and flashed instincts when sniffing out a screen pass. Swearinger also showed good route recognition on the aforementioned pick-six, reading Wilson's eyes and breaking on the ball before showing the ball skills to make the grab.

That was part of a somewhat bizarre sequence, though. On the previous play, he was flagged for a personal foul on a big hit that looked clean, and immediately after scoring the touchdown, Swearinger threw the ball into the stands and drew another personal foul. However, I like his passion and physical approach, and his recent play has helped him get into the Day 3 mix.

South Carolina DE Devin Taylor (50): Has a good build and plenty of length, but Taylor is too passive. He showed good discipline against misdirection at one point, but he does not look tough enough to warrant better than a Day 3 pick.

South Carolina TE Justice Cunningham (30): Made one of the best catches I've seen all season, opening up and spinning around to make a one-handed grab downfield. He's not overly explosive, but I like his ball skills, focus in traffic and the second-level blocking he showed. Cunningham doesn't yet have a full evaluation, but he could crack Day 3 in an underwhelming tight end class.

South Carolina DE Chaz Sutton (No grade): Was all over the field, recording a sack and a pass breakup, and showed the versatility to play inside or outside. He is explosive and quick as a pass-rusher, and has a relentless motor. He's turning some heads with his production and physical tools, so keep an eye on the junior going forward.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does that have to do with the Bears game?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ed Werder:

Sources say that 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh underwent minor heart procedure and actually rejoined team halfway through practice yesterday

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ed Werder:

Sources say that 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh underwent minor heart procedure and actually rejoined team halfway through practice yesterday

Love this guy

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Harbaugh returns to work

Harbaugh briefly stopped by the 49ers practice facility on Thursday before going home to rest. He was back at work Friday morning, and he is scheduled to take part in a noon press conference.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
interesting............cause during a game we don't give thought to the emergency QB.

if we didn't know it was KW, guess we would've guessed a skill player. i might've guessed Manningham or Hunter too.

I would have thought it would be Crabtree since he was a HS QB.. I was not aware that KW was a HS QB as well

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jim Harbaugh back with Niners following procedure - NFL.com

Harbaugh initially encountered the irregular heartbeat issue 13 years ago during his time as a quarterback with the San Diego Chargers.

---

Other than a change in diet, Harbaugh has "no limits" on his activity and will be on the sidelines when the Niners meet the Chicago Bears on Monday night.