• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bawstun vs Dodgers: the World Series of Gluttony

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Red Sox and their fans.

That was one hell of a year. They clearly were the best team in baseball though the regular season, and then tore through the postseason, going 11-3 against three fantastic teams. Their postseason opponents had an average regular season run differential of +213 and the Red Sox played .786 ball against them.

That is their fourth championship in the last fifteen years - that's as many as the rest of the AL combined.

Very impressive.

This Red Sox team managed to do something that they hadn't been able to do since I was a teenager in the seventies, namely watch baseball all summer long.

They caught my attention with that 17-2 start and I gotta admit I probably watched more baseball as the summer wore on than in 30 or 40 years out of some sense of curiosity if they would end up falling apart.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
parade number...wait...lemme count...

4 sox
5 patriots
1 celtics
1 bruins
who cares about soccer

...since i turned 26. I turn 43 next week.

Yeah? Well, I...once...got a used car... for a real good value...

:pout:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Sox. They were the better team.

There are 2 main things that I think the Dodgers did wrong in this series.

1. They were too reliant on the home run (an all season long issue). It's like relying on the 3 point shot in basketball. Home runs are great and you can win a lot of games relying on it. But you can't win championships relying on it. At some point, you have to be able to score without home runs. The Red Sox were able to, the Dodgers weren't.

2. The bullpen...or more specifically, the way it was handled. If your starting pitcher is dealing and doesn't seem to be tiring...leave him in. Maybe have someone start warming up in case things start to go sideways, but leave him in. If the reliever you have in the game is dealing, leave him in. Don't always make a change just because you want lefty on lefty or righty on righty.

I don't know if the Dodgers win the series with thos changes, the Red Sox were the better team, but they might have made it a better/more competitive series.

Pepe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the most likable of the Red Sox World Series winners.

David Price was a lightning rod for criticism. Price delivered and fans will overlook his post-game comments (I hold the Trump Card now! winning is all about David)

There are three core players that cannot be allowed to leave: Bogearts, Binentendi, and Betts.
Hopefully, Devers will join the list next year.

And yes, money matters. Few teams can match what the Red Sox spent this year, but they played by the financial rules that the owners created.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
200w.gif
its funny

my boss (huge fan like me, all boston shit) asked "did you watch the game last night?

i laughed and said "only in this city do you have to ask that question because we're so spoiled"

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Sox. They were the better team.

There are 2 main things that I think the Dodgers did wrong in this series.

1. They were too reliant on the home run (an all season long issue). It's like relying on the 3 point shot in basketball. Home runs are great and you can win a lot of games relying on it. But you can't win championships relying on it. At some point, you have to be able to score without home runs. The Red Sox were able to, the Dodgers weren't.

2. The bullpen...or more specifically, the way it was handled. If your starting pitcher is dealing and doesn't seem to be tiring...leave him in. Maybe have someone start warming up in case things start to go sideways, but leave him in. If the reliever you have in the game is dealing, leave him in. Don't always make a change just because you want lefty on lefty or righty on righty.

I don't know if the Dodgers win the series with thos changes, the Red Sox were the better team, but they might have made it a better/more competitive series.

Dave Roberts only looked bad because the players who produced all year let him down when he went to them. But then again the Red Sox made virtually every relief pitcher their bitch all post season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Roberts only looked bad because the players who produced all year let him down when he went to them. But then again the Red Sox made virtually every relief pitcher their bitch all post season.

True. But Roberts made the moves that put those players in position to let him down when he didn't have to.

I've never liked the way he handles the pitching. I think he goes to the bullpen too early all season long and it bites him in the ass in the post season because the bullpen is worn down.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. But Roberts made the moves that put those players in position to let him down when he didn't have to.

I've never liked the way he handles the pitching. I think he goes to the bullpen too early all season long and it bites him in the ass in the post season because the bullpen is worn down.

Crazy stat from last night: 4 different Bosox managers have won a WS with the team IN THEIR FIRST SEASON.

I mean, DAMN...it boggles the mind to think that one of them could have been Bobby Valentine

I don't know that Cora is that good at pushing the buttons, he was maybe just given the keys to a Caddy and told not to scratch it up...but, "scoreboard"

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy stat from last night: 4 different Bosox managers have won a WS with the team IN THEIR FIRST SEASON.

I mean, DAMN...it boggles the mind to think that one of them could have been Bobby Valentine

I don't know that Cora is that good at pushing the buttons, he was maybe just given the keys to a Caddy and told not to scratch it up...but, "scoreboard"
AcevesValentine.gif

a favorite clip

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

valentinepoint.gif

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so porcello jumped naked into a tub of beer

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought Cora did a really nice job. I thought he outmanaged Roberts because Roberts stuck strictly to analytics while Cora seemed to use a combination of analytics and using his "gut instincts".

Btw, Cora came up in the Dodgers system so....you're welcome. :D

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's almost Saban-like <gasp>

:heh: