• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Battle for the bottom.....Houston 8/8-10

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was just one example as to what was wrong with this club from the beginning. We had a poor catcher and a poor DH. We had a 1B who had shown last year that something was wrong with him. We also had JPA and Rosales as bench players. Our offense was doomed to keep us from making the postseason based on its poor construction. The choice of Soto at C was a very bad sign to me.

Who else was it going to be? It was a very weak catcher's market last year

By most accounts, Soto was about as good as it got, wasn't going to be AJ or Salty, so that's what we were left with

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading the espn fans clamor for Rios makes me chuckle. Really didn't know there was such a market for an underachieving RFer.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I think over analyzing this DFA of Gim is comical as well. This is potentially a 100 loss team, and Gim or JPA aren't really going to help them win another 5 or 6 games. It's just a move and as much as I hate the cliche, it is what it is.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone gonna watch fake football tonight? I don't watch preseason because the teams aren't playing their good players and aren't trying to win.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Telis makes contact, but doesn't walk and has no power, can't say much about his overall catching kit, but he only throws out 28% of attempted basestealers... looks like backup material

Nicholas, not as good with the bat, but walks more and has a little power but also doesn't offer much with the glove

While you're right about his power which I think we've talked about before I think he deserves more credit for than you give him with the bat. I have a feeling that his CS % would be higher if he was in the majors. It seems to me that minor leaguers get better jumps off in the minors than they do in the majors.

As soon as I said that the Cards minor leaguer just stole 2nd and 3rd off of Cantwell, and he never had a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone gonna watch fake football tonight? I don't watch preseason because the teams aren't playing their good players and aren't trying to win.

So you don't watch spring training in baseball?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lame:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Cowboys pre-season is important because 3 games into the year half of these players will be starting for us.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so selectively looking at the numbers? Which ever ones help make your point, lets just ignore the body of work as a whole? So ignore last year when he wasn't even good enough to play in the bigs? But DO choose to look at 2 years ago when it helps your point?

Gimenez is 32, his arrow isn't pointed anywhere but where it is, mediocre roster fodder at the end of his prime, destined to be passed around like a bong from roster to roster, this is who he is at this point,

JPA is on a hot streak, and is in the middle of his prime, might as well ride the hot hand until its not, who knows maybe he's made adjustments while he was in AAA, we don't know unless we let him play

I was asked why I felt the way I do and I told you. It is a silly thing to get upset about as neither one will be a force when we go back to the WS. JPA wasn't good enough to be in the bigs this year or last, but the Rangers can't seem to figure that out. Tampa Bay kept Giminez down on the farm and they would have probably done the same with JPA. Just because Toronto played JPA in the big leagues last year and Tampa Bay didn't play Giminez doesn't mean anything about which catcher was better.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While you're right about his power which I think we've talked about before I think he deserves more credit for than you give him with the bat. I have a feeling that his CS % would be higher if he was in the majors. It seems to me that minor leaguers get better jumps off in the minors than they do in the majors.

Like I said, I can't make any statements about his defense as I've never seen him catch, but the number is what the number is

Looking at someone like Yadier Molina and his CS% is exactly the same minors or majors 45%

Jonathan Lucroy actually dropped from 42% to 25% in the majors

Brian McCann 34% to 25%

Kurt Suzuki 40% to 26%

So blaming it on pitchers holding runners seems pretty unsubstantiated... you can delve more into it if you want, but that's conclusive enough for me

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was asked why I felt the way I do and I told you. It is a silly thing to get upset about as neither one will be a force when we go back to the WS. JPA wasn't good enough to be in the bigs this year or last, but the Rangers can't seem to figure that out. Tampa Bay kept Giminez down on the farm and they would have probably done the same with JPA. Just because Toronto played JPA in the big leagues last year and Tampa Bay didn't play Giminez doesn't mean anything about which catcher was better.

Who's upset? I was just pointing out your flawed methodology. I just think it's something pretty pointless to question, Gimenez isn't even playing right now and JPA is, why would you dump someone that is actually playing significant innings for you over someone who plays once or twice a week

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys pre-season is important because 3 games into the year half of these players will be starting for us.

Most of the defense which is by far the biggest question mark will not be playing tonight.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading the espn fans clamor for Rios makes me chuckle. Really didn't know there was such a market for an underachieving RFer.

Wish one of those clamoring fans had a GM title.