• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Battle for the bottom.....Houston 8/8-10

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it not the same? You're judging one player on their rehab results, why not both? At least be consistent.

You said DFA Holland?

I would say the same about Holland as I did about Soto. Keep him down there. He hasn't shown he's ready. Neither has Soto, nor do I really care if Soto comes up this year. Like I said, I'd rather see what we have in some of the others instead of calling up Soto so Yu can have his personal catcher that he hasn't had all year. If Soto signs elsewhere this off-season I would think it's pretty close to pointless that we rushed Soto back. Meanwhile we have catchers piling up in the minors that have never been given a chance at the ML level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said anything about Holland. Comparing calling Soto up to DFA Holland is not the same to me. I'm not sure how you think it is. You said be consistent? I never even brought up Holland.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said DFA Holland?

I would say the same about Holland as I did about Soto. Keep him down there. He hasn't shown he's ready. Neither has Soto, nor do I really care if Soto comes up this year. Like I said, I'd rather see what we have in some of the others instead of calling up Soto so Yu can have his personal catcher that he hasn't had all year. If Soto signs elsewhere this off-season I would think it's pretty close to pointless that we rushed Soto back. Meanwhile we have catchers piling up in the minors that have never been given a chance at the ML level.

Well Holland is under contract next year, Soto isn't, we can choose to not resign Soto, not holland

Sorry if my example was too accurate for you

By the way, Soto has hit .274 over his 62 ABs, minus the 0-16 stretch he's hit very well, so I don't get this notion that's he hasn't shown that he's ready,

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care about the pot arrest and never will. It doesn't affect him as a player. Gim has been on the roster for a few months, so I don't know if he can stay healthy or not.

JPA has an ability to hit balls out of the park that Gim does not.

Gim is a utility catcher and while I don't think he's horrible, I just don't see what is to love about him.

They are all utility catchers. There is really nothing to love about Gimenez. I just like him better than the other two, especially JPA who is bad both behind the plate and at it.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said anything about Holland. Comparing calling Soto up to DFA Holland is not the same to me. I'm not sure how you think it is. You said be consistent? I never even brought up Holland.

Just bringing up a similar scenario, just bc you don't think it's similar doesn't mean it isn't

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are all utility catchers. There is really nothing to love about Gimenez. I just like him better than the other two, especially JPA who is bad both behind the plate and at it.

Well JPA is playing well enough at 1B for me, and I have no prob riding his bat until the hot streak ends.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gimenez is a stopgap that's not terrible or good at anything in particular

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget about the Rockies. Texas did their part being swept by them earlier this year.

As bad as they beat us in the 3 games we lost it seemed like we got swept but we one the last one at home.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....6-32. Yes my comment was based on that. They're both hitting better than Soto. I'm sure it will be Soto called up, but I'm not sure Soto is on the roster next year. I'd rather see if we have anything in Nicholas, who is seasoned.

I like Soto behind the plate. It is a good tandem with him and Chirinos. The last half of the season last year Soto was one of our hottest hitters but that is not my main reason for liking him as one of our catchers.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As bad as they beat us in the 3 games we lost it seemed like we got swept but we one the last one at home.

Damn, I forgot that was a 4 game series. It was such a whipping I blocked it out I guess.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good one, next comes the "rubber/glue" riposte :rollseyes:

I was simply saying that just because you think they're similar doesn't mean that they are. I wasn't trying to demean you....but yeah sure whatever bounces off of me sticks to you.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading some comments on the Rios clearing waivers that it is surprising to me on fans of the teams in contention really wanting him. But when you start to think about it he could be valuable to a contending club. He did very well for us after we picked him up last year down the stretch. He hit 291 with a 509 slg pct the last month of the season.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I forgot that was a 4 game series. It was such a whipping I blocked it out I guess.

Yeah we lost 8-2, 12-1 and 9-2. The Rockies looked like a playoff bound team. Now look at them.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have liked to have picked Vinnie Pestano if he was sent thru waivers as the Angels got him. He is a good pitcher who was shafted in a way by the Indians. Below shows what he has done this year at AAA.

Pestano has once again been excellent in the minors this season, posting a 1.78 ERA with a strong 37-to-12 K/BB ratio in 30 1/3 innings for Triple-A Columbus.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have liked to have picked Vinnie Pestano if he was sent thru waivers as the Angels got him. He is a good pitcher who was shafted in a way by the Indians. Below shows what he has done this year at AAA.

Pestano has once again been excellent in the minors this season, posting a 1.78 ERA with a strong 37-to-12 K/BB ratio in 30 1/3 innings for Triple-A Columbus.

I believe we had 1st crack at him. I'm assuming we weren't really interested in picking up more bullpen help.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gimenez is a stopgap that's not terrible or good at anything in particular

JPA is a .194 hitter. He is simply temporarily overachieving and will once again be a terrible hitter who doesn't play any position very well. As bad as Gimenez is he is better than JPA.