• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Battle for the bottom.....Houston 8/8-10

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....6-32. Yes my comment was based on that. They're both hitting better than Soto. I'm sure it will be Soto called up, but I'm not sure Soto is on the roster next year. I'd rather see if we have anything in Nicholas, who is seasoned.

You seem really high on Nicholas, but I don't see it happening. He's 26 and never come close to making the major league roster.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully we lose 2 out of 3.... This is the team we are fighting for the bottom spot.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem really high on Nicholas, but I don't see it happening. He's 26 and never come close to making the major league roster.

Well this is his 1st year playing in RR. I would say he's closer now than he's ever been. I'm all for giving guys that have earned a shot a taste of the bigs. This is the year to do it. More than likely Nicholas can't hack it, but you never know unless you give him a shot. Like you said, he's 26. We know what we have in Soto, and what's the point if he's not going to be here next year?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....6-32. Yes my comment was based on that. They're both hitting better than Soto. I'm sure it will be Soto called up, but I'm not sure Soto is on the roster next year. I'd rather see if we have anything in Nicholas, who is seasoned.

Might as well DFA Holland based on his rehab start results then

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this is his 1st year playing in RR. I would say he's closer now than he's ever been. I'm all for giving guys that have earned a shot, a taste of the bigs. This is the year to do it. More than likely Nicholas can't hack it, but you never know unless you give him a shot. Like you said, he's 26. We know what we have in Soto, and what's the point if he's not going to be here next year,

Because he's Yu's personal catcher, and I think making Yu happy is more important than Nicholas' development.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he's Yu's personal catcher, and I think making Yu happy is more important than Nicholas' development.

In a normal year I would agree, but maybe Yu would work well with the youngsters. I think Yu would understand that. Oh well. It will probably be Soto anyways so I guess it doesn't matter. I understand your argument.

If Soto doesn't return next year do you think it would be smart for Yu to work with someone else this year, or make him happy for the remainder of the year?

Last edited by a moderator:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a normal year I would agree, but maybe Yu would work well with the youngsters. I think Yu would understand that. Oh well. It will probably be Soto anyways so I guess it doesn't matter. I understand your argument.

I am not totally sold on the fact that Soto isn't coming back though. He's cheap and they need two catchers, and I don't see them going after a big name via trade or FA.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Soto is coming off the DL, and with the way JPA has been hitting they don't need 4 catchers on the 40 man.

They should be able to look at JPA's stats and see that what he is doing now is an aberration. At this point his average for this season as a whole and for last season is .194. He has had a good couple of weeks. It just seems like a strange decision to me. To me the best two catchers we have for next season would have been Chirinos and Gimenez. Oh well, Alfaro will be here before we get good enough for decisions like this to matter anyway.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should be able to look at JPA's stats and see that what he is doing now is an aberration. At this point his average for this season as a whole and for last season is .194. He has had a good couple of weeks. It just seems like a strange decision to me. To me the best two catchers we have for next season would have been Chirinos and Gimenez. Oh well, Alfaro will be here before we get good enough for decisions like this to matter anyway.

It's not that big of a deal to me I guess. Gim isn't anything more than a twice a week catcher.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Soto doesn't return next year do you think it would be smart for Yu to work with someone else this year, or make him happy for the remainder of the year?

I agree. I think if you looked at Yu's 10 best efforts while here that he would have had them with a variety of catchers. He is too good to need just one particular catcher catching him. Soto has missed a whole lot of time this year and Yu has had some very good outings without Soto behind the plate.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I think if you looked at Yu's 10 best efforts while here that he would have had them with a variety of catchers. He is too good to need just one particular catcher catching him. Soto has missed a whole lot of time this year and Yu has had some very good outings without Soto behind the plate.

Pretty sure this was the plan the whole time. Once Soto came back he would be catching Yu again. His second DL trip just delayed it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure this was the plan the whole time. Once Soto came back he would be catching Yu again. His second DL trip just delayed it.

I don't doubt it was the plan. I just don't know that I agree with the plan.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't doubt it was the plan. I just don't know that I agree with the plan.

What's so special about Gim?

Gimenez has had quite the transactional journey the past year...Gimenez was waived in December by the Rays, claimed by the A's, waived by Oakland near the end of spring training, claimed by the Rangers, put on their Opening Day roster, waived a day later, went unclaimed, became a free agent, re-signed with Texas on a minor league deal, brought back to the majors, and now DFA'd.

What is it about him that you find so much better than Soto?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's so special about Gim?

Gimenez has had quite the transactional journey the past year...Gimenez was waived in December by the Rays, claimed by the A's, waived by Oakland near the end of spring training, claimed by the Rangers, put on their Opening Day roster, waived a day later, went unclaimed, became a free agent, re-signed with Texas on a minor league deal, brought back to the majors, and now DFA'd.

What is it about him that you find so much better than Soto?

He doesn't get hurt as often as Soto and he doesn't get in trouble with drug use like Soto has recently. I just don't understand the Rangers fascination with JPA or Soto. Gimenez has done an admirable job this year and I feel he should be here more than those two. One thing I like about Gimenez is that he has improved his offense over the past couple of chances that he has gotten in 2012 and this year. He is also more versatile than Soto.

Once we get good enough for decisions like this to matter Alfaro will be here anyway. Starting any of those 3 behind the plate in 2015 pretty much signals what kind of season next year will be.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't get hurt as often as Soto and he doesn't get in trouble with drug use like Soto has recently. I just don't understand the Rangers fascination with JPA or Soto. Gimenez has done an admirable job this year and I feel he should be here more than those two. One thing I like about Gimenez is that he has improved his offense over the past couple of chances that he has gotten in 2012 and this year. He is also more versatile than Soto.

Once we get good enough for decisions like this to matter Alfaro will be here anyway. Starting any of those 3 behind the plate in 2015 pretty much signals what kind of season next year will be.

I don't care about the pot arrest and never will. It doesn't affect him as a player. Gim has been on the roster for a few months, so I don't know if he can stay healthy or not.

JPA has an ability to hit balls out of the park that Gim does not.

Gim is a utility catcher and while I don't think he's horrible, I just don't see what is to love about him.