• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Battle for the bottom.....Houston 8/8-10

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he's not, and don't start that straw man BS you always revert to.

not trying to start anything. did he or did he not say that he wouldn't sign anyone to longer than a 1 or 2 year contract?

and don't start that BS again just because i don't agree with him.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not trying to start anything. did he or did he not say that he wouldn't sign anyone to longer than a 1 or 2 year contract?

and don't start that BS again just because i don't agree with him.

No. He said he wouldn't sign #3-4 caliber pitchers to anything longer than 1-2 year deals and I completely agree with him.

As usual, you read what you want to read.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't sign bottom feeders. I would bring back Colby and let our young guys pitch as that will help us more in the long run than signing bottom feeders. You are not going to get a top flight pitcher to sign here though. Lots of folks want Shields and I agree he would be great to have, but unless JD decides to break the budget Shields will not come here.

This team finds itself in a predicament regarding pitching next year and that is going to be the case no matter how much hope we have as fans. Realizing that predicament doesn't mean someone needs to move on to another team either.
MORPs is what we need , not bottom feeders. They will not be expensive, won't be requiring a LT deal 2...maybe 3 years, and they can help hold down the fort until our prospects are ready. This was JD's mistake this year, as you all have well documented...

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea that someone who isn't blind to our pitching predicament of not being able to get top flight pitchers to sign here should quit being a fan of this team is silly.

i'm not blind to anything either but i'm not going to accept that because we didn't get someone 3 years ago or 2 years ago means that we aren't ever going to get someone.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. He said he wouldn't sign #3-4 caliber pitchers to anything longer than 1-2 year deals and I completely agree with him.

As usual, you read what you want to read.

do you really think that someone like Shields would sign a 1 or 2 year deal with us if he's offered 3 or 4 years by other teams? then he would be right that no one wants to sign with us.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you really think that someone like Shields would sign a 1 or 2 year deal with us if he's offered 3 or 4 years by other teams? then he would be right that no one wants to sign with us.

Your reading comprehension is pathetic. :L

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not blind to anything either but i'm not going to accept that because we didn't get someone 3 years ago or 2 years ago means that we aren't ever going to get someone.
Saddles is correct...FA TORP's have historically not signed with us. To get a Shields interested in the Rangers, we will have to massively over pay. Now do we not try? Hell yes, we try, but we better have a Plan B and C ready when they move on to another team...

Think about it, after the year we're having, why in the world would a Scherzer, Lester or Shields even consider coming here unless we buy them in a big way. And that would be a huge mistake for this franchise given the contracts we currently have and facing a decision on re-signing Yu...

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It isn't just 2 or 3 years ago. Try EVER. In our history I can't recall signing anyone with the numbers that Shields has had the past 4-5 years.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MORPs is what we need , not bottom feeders. They will not be expensive, won't be requiring a LT deal 2...maybe 3 years, and they can help hold down the fort until our prospects are ready. This was JD's mistake this year, as you all have well documented...

exactly. but i think you have to look at 3 or 4 years if you seriously want a quality MORP

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saddles is correct...FA TORP's have historically not signed with us. To get a Shields interested in the Rangers, we will have to massively over pay. Now do we not try? Hell yes, we try, but we better have a Plan B and C ready when they move on to another team...

Think about it, after the year we're having, why in the world would a Scherzer, Lester or Shields even consider coming here unless we buy them in a big way. And that would be a huge mistake for this franchise given the contracts we currently have and facing a decision on re-signing Yu...
Correct.

Yes, we could do what Hicks did with ARod and wreck the franchise, but Daniels isn't Hicks.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting in late, but was able to listen some.

Seems Martinez had a better outing, but his control issues didn't go away either since he threw over 100 pitches in 5.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly. but i think you have to look at 3 or 4 years if you seriously want a quality MORP

The top pitchers available in free agency will get 5-7 year contracts at a minimum.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't just 2 or 3 years ago. Try EVER. In our history I can't recall signing anyone with the numbers that Shields has had the past 4-5 years.

like i said before in every case another team jumped in and offered nutso numbers. i was happy that JD didn't panic and make an even more nutso offer. we offered good money and time but we didn't get sucked into a overbidding contest. that doesn't mean they didn't want to come here only that they couldn't turn down the insane contracts other teams offered them

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FA pitchers don't sign here because some genius wanted to build an outdoor stadium in one of the hottest parts of the country. Houston and Arizona have roofs. We'll get pitchers when we get a new ballpark.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't remember why Greinke was really considering us and went to LA. That's about the closest I can think of along with Lee but he did not think we would do well in 2011 so went where he thought there was a great chance for a ring with Philly.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like i said before in every case another team jumped in and offered nutso numbers. i was happy that JD didn't panic and make an even more nutso offer. we offered good money and time but we didn't get sucked into a overbidding contest. that doesn't mean they didn't want to come here only that they couldn't turn down the insane contracts other teams offered them

The reasons vary, but the bottom line is it just doesn't happen. They never come here.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top pitchers available in free agency will get 5-7 year contracts at a minimum.

not talking about the top pitchers. talking about a good MORP's who would be looking for a good 3 or 4 year contract

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean no offense to you, but that is a very incredibly optimistic point of view. Lee didn't like the heat and Greinke preferred LAD over us and not because of the money.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FA pitchers don't sign here because some genius wanted to build an outdoor stadium in one of the hottest parts of the country. Houston and Arizona have roofs. We'll get pitchers when we get a new ballpark.

I would be for a ballpark with a roof here.