• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Battle for the bottom.....Houston 8/8-10

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also almost had Lee. Years ago we thought we were in on Johnson and Clemens, but they always seem to go elsewhere. Always. Highly regarded pitchers just never seem to decide to come here for whatever reason. Maybe LA went crazy on Greinke, but there always seems to be one team willing to do that with highly regarded pitchers. I just think we are forced to grow our own like JD said after the failed attempt to get Cliff Lee to sign here.

usually because some other team decided to go nutso at the last second

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cherinos could have scored there.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we don't sign a couple of FA SP's during the off-season this year will look damn good compared to what we do in 2015
Who do you think we have a realistic chance of signing?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also almost had Lee. Years ago we thought we were in on Johnson and Clemens, but they always seem to go elsewhere. Always. Highly regarded pitchers just never seem to decide to come here for whatever reason. Maybe LA went crazy on Greinke, but there always seems to be one team willing to do that with highly regarded pitchers. I just think we are forced to grow our own like JD said after the failed attempt to get Cliff Lee to sign here.

I'm glad JD doesn't give those awful deals. Philly is paying through the nose for that little stunt right now and what have they got to show for it?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do we have that anyone would want besides YU? and then we would really suck

We'll most likely have a bullpen piece or two available. People will come calling for Beltre, though I'd be surprised if we deal him. Teams will also likely come calling for Profar and/or Odor. If Elvis can get his head out of his ass there may be a big market team like the Yankees interested.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do we have that anyone would want besides YU? and then we would really suck

It looks like we are going to have both Rios and Beltre We will also have a relief pitcher or two to trade as we will probably pick up one or two in the offseason.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have just as much a realistic chance of signing any of them as any other team in the league.

I wish that was true, but history says you are wrong.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll most likely have a bullpen piece or two available. People will come calling for Beltre, though I'd be surprised if we deal him. Teams will also likely come calling for Profar and/or Odor. If Elvis can get his head out of his ass there may be a big market team like the Yankees interested.
Don't want to see it but we are liable to lose a prospect or two in any bid deal but we do what we have to do

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see a bit of life out of the offense so far....then I watch Adduci look at 3 strikes...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad JD doesn't give those awful deals. Philly is paying through the nose for that little stunt right now and what have they got to show for it?

I agree with you Romeo. I wanted Lee at the time, but I think JD is right. We have to grow our own.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like we are going to have both Rios and Beltre We will also have a relief pitcher or two to trade as we will probably pick up one or two in the offseason.

so you would start the season with

Yu
Derek
Martinez
Micholas
Tepesch

we could easily lose 110+ games next year with that rotation

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish that was true, but history says you are wrong.
I don't think he's wrong. It's because we have not offered deals as Philly did with Lee and I hope we don't.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you Romeo. I wanted Lee at the time, but I think JD is right. We have to grow our own.
Completely agree we grow our own...which means we need to stock our farm with prospects at every opportunity - draft, international signings, trades...

However....if there is an opportunity to sign a MORP in free agency...say a Skaggs, Miley, Guthrie type, we should consider this. Doesn't break the bank and helps tide us over until the prospects are ready. And those level pitchers may be willing to come here...

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like the FO has done a great job of loading our farm with outfield players, especially MIFers, and a moderate job with pitching prospects. We need to shift put focus slightly in that direction. That said, we do have some nice pitchers in our system and JD snagged a couple more at the deadline. I think we can compete in the next two years, but I think the earliest we return to being a powerhouse is 2016, 2017.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you would start the season with

Yu
Derek
Martinez
Micholas
Tepesch

we could easily lose 110+ games next year with that rotation

I think Colby comes back next year and I think JD gets another bottom half of the rotation type pitcher signed. Myself, I woud bring back Colby and let the 2 best young pitchers in camp start the season. We need to see more of the Nicks anyway before making a decision on them. There is a chance that Jackson competes for a spot next spring. He hasn't looked good at AAA yet, but sometimes pitchers mature a lot over an offseason.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Colby comes back next year and I think JD gets another bottom half of the rotation type pitcher signed. Myself, I woud bring back Colby and let the 2 best young pitchers in camp start the season. We need to see more of the Nicks anyway before making a decision on them. There is a chance that Jackson competes for a spot next spring. He hasn't looked good at AAA yet, but sometimes pitchers mature a lot over an offseason.

bottom half pitchers is what got us into this situation but if you aren't wanting to win then keep going after the bottom feeders