• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Battle for the bottom.....Houston 8/8-10

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand a lot of folks still hold out hope for next year being a contending season. I have little faith in Prince ever contributing a whole lot. I think that is where I differ from those who think we can contend next season. I am leery of guys recovering from back or neck injuries. Also, we don't know if Prince's decline in 2013 was the start of his age/weight decline or if it was injury related.

I will never hold out hope that we can sign a pitcher of Shield's caliber until we do so. Who is the last pitcher that this organization has been able to sign on the open market that had put up numbers like Shields has in his previous seasons? We are going to have to grow our own top of the rotation pitchers or trade from them at the deadline and an organization can't afford to make too many of those types of trades.

I do think we could possibly do somethng in 2016 if our young players develop a little faster than anticiapted, but I certainly wouldn't plan on that happening. I think it will be a better season than 2015 though.

Working with people who've had Prince's surgery every day, I'm optimistic. Too much time for other moves to be made to rule next season a throw away season.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand a lot of folks still hold out hope for next year being a contending season. I have little faith in Prince ever contributing a whole lot. I think that is where I differ from those who think we can contend next season. I am leery of guys recovering from back or neck injuries. Also, we don't know if Prince's decline in 2013 was the start of his age/weight decline or if it was injury related.

I will never hold out hope that we can sign a pitcher of Shield's caliber until we do so. Who is the last pitcher that this organization has been able to sign on the open market that had put up numbers like Shields has in his previous seasons? We are going to have to grow our own top of the rotation pitchers or trade from them at the deadline and an organization can't afford to make too many of those types of trades.

I do think we could possibly do somethng in 2016 if our young players develop a little faster than anticiapted, but I certainly wouldn't plan on that happening. I think it will be a better season than 2015 though.

if we depend strictly on prayer and hope that our young players developing faster than anticipated we might not be competitive until 2017 or 2018 at the earliest

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Working with people who've had Prince's surgery every day, I'm optimistic. Too much time for other moves to be made to rule next season a throw away season.
And I don't expect anyone will be predicting Texas to win the division but we should be in it on both WC teams next year. And i defer to Romeo on Fielder's projection.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we depend strictly on prayer and hope that our young players developing faster than anticipated we might not be competitive until 2017 or 2018 at the earliest

I am looking for 2017 to be the year we return to glory. I think if we can get guys like Gallo, Alfaro, Chi Chi, Jackson, Thompson, and maybe Brinson, Mazara and Williams ready to contribute by then we should be ready to go deep into the playoffs.

Hope is what we have to depend on until then.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That I agree with. Got a bunch of young players who are uber talented and uber raw who were just promoted to AA. The earliest these kids get to the show for more than a cup of coffee is 2016 and that's pushing it. Even then, we're looking at a season, maybe two for them to get the light to come on. We need at least two moves for starting pitchers, and a move for a RF. Is like to have Napoli back as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking for 2017 to be the year we return to glory. I think if we can get guys like Gallo, Alfaro, Chi Chi, Jackson, Thompson, and maybe Brinson, Mazara and Williams ready to contribute by then we should be ready to go deep into the playoffs.

Hope is what we have to depend on until then.

and do nothing until then?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rios is done...fuck he's gonna be back next year.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I don't expect anyone will be predicting Texas to win the division but we should be in it on both WC teams next year. And i defer to Romeo on Fielder's projection.
Agree DG. The IF is pretty much set as is the OF depending on Rios. Pitching needs help but that should get help.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you send him there, he was already hurt and should have clearly been out if corporan holds onto the ball. Anyone else would have been out by 6 feet, but Pettis would probably have sent them too

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda Question Petis in sending Rios on that ankle but how else you gonna score.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would try a tactic Oakland used to use. You sign a couple of free agents to one year deals and hope you catch lightning in a bottle and when that doesn't work out you flip those guys at deadline time to increase your prospect currency.

I don't see us signing a really good pitcher since we haven't been able to do that in I don't know when.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would try a tactic Oakland used to use. You sign a couple of free agents to one year deals and hope you catch lightning in a bottle and when that doesn't work out you flip those guys at deadline time to increase your prospect currency.

I don't see us signing a really good pitcher since we haven't been able to do that in I don't know when.

I think its possible. I believe we had Greinke until LA went full retard with their offer to him.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right Scottie. Some of the players named by Saddles will be traded for needed players < pitchers> long before 2017.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its possible. I believe we had Greinke until LA went full retard with their offer to him.

We also almost had Lee. Years ago we thought we were in on Johnson and Clemens, but they always seem to go elsewhere. Always. Highly regarded pitchers just never seem to decide to come here for whatever reason. Maybe LA went crazy on Greinke, but there always seems to be one team willing to do that with highly regarded pitchers. I just think we are forced to grow our own like JD said after the failed attempt to get Cliff Lee to sign here.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right Scottie. Some of the players named by Saddles will be traded for needed players < pitchers> long before 2017.

if we don't sign a couple of FA SP's during the off-season this year will look damn good compared to what we do in 2015

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DT I think what will keep us from doing that will be the fact that we will be sellers in 2015.