• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G Recruiting for 2016 Gets Serious

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't look now, but the B1G now has nine teams ranked among the top 35 classes in the country, including four of the top 15 and 3 of the top 10. And, Michigan (now ranked 8th) is leading the way pulling in six commitments from four different states. Included in that group is QB Victor Viramontes, who took part in Michigan's satellite camp stop in Fresno and was the QB MVP at the Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge.

But, the Wolverines outlasted rivals Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Wisconsin for five-star Hartland (Wisc.) for OT Ben Bredeson. Bredeson pledged to the Wolverines on Wednesday and is currently the highest ranked prospect in their 2016 class.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you ready for this? Consider this an official criticism of Harbaugh:

Not a fan of this class so far, at least according to the rivals rankings. Harbaugh seems to have picked up a bunch of shall we call them "under the radar prospects" from these camps and really hasn't picked up many highly ranked kids. I think we have 6 four star kids currently. I expect better of this class and unless he finishes out very strong, it seems very underwhelming for his first full class here. There is still a chance that he gets like 8 four and five star kids to finish but it seems unlikely the way things are going. Michigan shouldn't need to pick up two and three star kids that no other power-5 team has offered and develop them into NFL talent. Michigan should be able to get 4 and 5 star kids and develop them into NFL talent. Even Hoke and RR's first classes, so far, look better than what we've currently got. I think our average star ranking puts us somewhere in the 30's and the only reason we're ranked high right now is because we have a high number of committed prospects.

Consider me underwhelmed at his latest string of two star commitments with 1 four star flung in. But, I have no reason to believe Harbaugh isn't capable of making some of these kids turn out good....I just don't think he needs to be trying this hard to find talent. He burnt himself out on satellite camps that only netted him some low-ranked recruits.

I do, however, like the diversity of kids from all over the country. I think there's only a couple from Michigan and 0 from Ohio. Much different from Hoke's recruiting approach. We're getting a bunch from the SEC footprint.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan isn't leading the way in anything. Ohio State's class is 3rd overall, Sparty's got the #5 or 6 class.
Beat me to it. michigan doesn't even have the best class in their state, let alone in the conference.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you ready for this? Consider this an official criticism of Harbaugh:

Not a fan of this class so far, at least according to the rivals rankings. Harbaugh seems to have picked up a bunch of shall we call them "under the radar prospects" from these camps and really hasn't picked up many highly ranked kids. I think we have 6 four star kids currently. I expect better of this class and unless he finishes out very strong, it seems very underwhelming for his first full class here. There is still a chance that he gets like 8 four and five star kids to finish but it seems unlikely the way things are going. Michigan shouldn't need to pick up two and three star kids that no other power-5 team has offered and develop them into NFL talent. Michigan should be able to get 4 and 5 star kids and develop them into NFL talent. Even Hoke and RR's first classes, so far, look better than what we've currently got. I think our average star ranking puts us somewhere in the 30's and the only reason we're ranked high right now is because we have a high number of committed prospects.

Consider me underwhelmed at his latest string of two star commitments with 1 four star flung in. But, I have no reason to believe Harbaugh isn't capable of making some of these kids turn out good....I just don't think he needs to be trying this hard to find talent. He burnt himself out on satellite camps that only netted him some low-ranked recruits.

I do, however, like the diversity of kids from all over the country. I think there's only a couple from Michigan and 0 from Ohio. Much different from Hoke's recruiting approach. We're getting a bunch from the SEC footprint.
First off, I think you need a reality check on the perception of michigan's program. It has history, sure, but among 17/18 year old kids, it's a fossil. It's no different than a team like Nebraska or Washington. It's been a long time since these programs were genuine contenders, and there's no indication any of them are close to doing so in the next year or two, especially when programs like Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Auburn, Florida State, etc. are offering these kids at the same time.

Secondly, if michigan doesn't recruit Ohio well, you're royally fucked. Ohio is more or less responsible for michigan's football program having success. No Ohio talent = no football success for you.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I think you need a reality check on the perception of michigan's program. It has history, sure, but among 17/18 year old kids, it's a fossil. It's no different than a team like Nebraska or Washington. It's been a long time since these programs were genuine contenders, and there's no indication any of them are close to doing so in the next year or two.

Secondly, if michigan doesn't recruit Ohio well, you're royally fucked. Ohio is more or less responsible for michigan's football program having success. No Ohio talent = no football success for you.

We're just a few years past having one of the best classes in the nation. I think it's fair to expect getting top notch talent still as that has never been a problem. I certainly don't expect to have to nab 2 star kids. It is different than Nebraska -- we have way more money and Harbaugh is a much bigger name than Mike Riley. The 2012 and 2013 classes prove what we're capable of. And I suspect if you look back at average recruiting rankings of the two programs since these rankings started coming out in 2002 would show a huge difference between what Michigan is capable of doing vs. Nebraska.

And I don't think recruiting Ohio is necessary so long as that talent is being replaced with equal or better talent from other states. In all honesty, I'd rather be getting more of our talent from the SEC footprint and California than Ohio.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, let's do that comparison keeping in mind that both teams had just won a national title 5 years before the rankings began so there's an equal footing to start from.

2002:
Michigan #16
Nebraska #40

2003:
Michigan #17
Nebraska #42

2004:
Michigan #8
Nebraska #58

2005:
Nebraska #5
Michigan #6

2006:
Michigan #13
Nebraska #20

2007:
Michigan #12
Nebraska #13

2008:
Michigan #10
Nebraska #30

2009: (Rich Rod's first class)
Michigan #8
Nebraska #28

2010:
Michigan #20
Nebraska #22

2011:
Michigan #21
Nebraska #15

2012: (Brady Hoke's first class)
Michigan #7
Nebraska #25

2013:
Michigan #5
Nebraska #17

2014:
Michigan #31
Nebraska #32

2015:
Michigan #50
Nebraska #31

Average rank:
Michigan #15.9
Nebraska #27

I think it's clear that Michigan recruits a lot better than Nebraska has. And if I did what I really wanted to do and do it based off average star ranking, I'm sure there would even be further separation. Michigan does not struggle to get recruits like you're trying to suggest, especially the first year of a new coach. I suspect Harbaugh's won't be ranked too poorly (top 15) given the size it's going to be and the fact that he's already gotten some four star talent, but the average star ranking will diminish it's true ranking in my opinion. That is, like I said, unless he lands like 8 four and five star kids to finish it out.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're just a few years past having one of the best classes in the nation. I think it's fair to expect getting top notch talent still as that has never been a problem. I certainly don't expect to have to nab 2 star kids. It is different than Nebraska -- we have way more money and Harbaugh is a much bigger name than Mike Riley. The 2012 and 2013 classes prove what we're capable of. And I suspect if you look back at average recruiting rankings of the two programs since these rankings started coming out in 2002 would show a huge difference between what Michigan is capable of doing vs. Nebraska.

And I don't think recruiting Ohio is necessary so long as that talent is being replaced with equal or better talent from other states. In all honesty, I'd rather be getting more of our talent from the SEC footprint and California than Ohio.

There is the problem, MI cant. The B1G schools need to get a majority of their talent from the area and then fill in with some from SEC/P12.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is the problem, MI cant. The B1G schools need to get a majority of their talent from the area and then fill in with some from SEC/P12.
The problem is, the state of Michigan just doesn't produce the talent it use to and Ohio State already has a claim on most of the really good talent from Ohio. I think it's smart to start looking elsewhere. These camps do one thing that isn't noticed yet, they build relationships with the younger kids. It's possible the payoff to these won't be seen for a few years.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitiful, ain't it?

Yes, so much time left for things to happen. Kids will be changing commitments all year long, the better recruits don't really commit until January usually, and it just doesn't mean that much.

Michigan should have a top20 class, but geez it's too damn early for this.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, let's do that comparison keeping in mind that both teams had just won a national title 5 years before the rankings began so there's an equal footing to start from.

2002:
Michigan #16
Nebraska #40

2003:
Michigan #17
Nebraska #42

2004:
Michigan #8
Nebraska #58

2005:
Nebraska #5
Michigan #6

2006:
Michigan #13
Nebraska #20

2007:
Michigan #12
Nebraska #13

2008:
Michigan #10
Nebraska #30

2009: (Rich Rod's first class)
Michigan #8
Nebraska #28

2010:
Michigan #20
Nebraska #22

2011:
Michigan #21
Nebraska #15

2012: (Brady Hoke's first class)
Michigan #7
Nebraska #25

2013:
Michigan #5
Nebraska #17

2014:
Michigan #31
Nebraska #32

2015:
Michigan #50
Nebraska #31

Average rank:
Michigan #15.9
Nebraska #27

I think it's clear that Michigan recruits a lot better than Nebraska has. And if I did what I really wanted to do and do it based off average star ranking, I'm sure there would even be further separation. Michigan does not struggle to get recruits like you're trying to suggest, especially the first year of a new coach. I suspect Harbaugh's won't be ranked too poorly (top 15) given the size it's going to be and the fact that he's already gotten some four star talent, but the average star ranking will diminish it's true ranking in my opinion. That is, like I said, unless he lands like 8 four and five star kids to finish it out.

Wait, so Michigan had way better recruits but way worse records. Heck, Michigan should have hired Bo Pelini Michigan would have at least won 9 games each and only lost four, instead of 3-9, 5-7, 7-6, 8-5, 7-6, 5-7.

That looks like 35 wins and 40 losses.

I better get some alerts for this zinger.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, so Michigan had way better recruits but way worse records. Heck, Michigan should have hired Bo Pelini Michigan would have at least won 9 games each and only lost four, instead of 3-9, 5-7, 7-6, 8-5, 7-6, 5-7.

Not sure what mANDb09 is up to although yesterday it was Ohio State, then it was Michigan State. After that he jumped conferences for a moment & went after USC. And now it's Nebraska. I can't wait to see which program he goes after next!

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh sure, we has our issues for sure -- but recruiting wasn't one of them. Nebraska did more with less.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what mANDb09 is up to although yesterday it was Ohio State, then it was Michigan State. After that he jumped conferences for a moment & went after USC. And now it's Nebraska. I can't wait to see which program he goes after next!
I didn't bring up Nebraska at all. I was baited into comparing programs by @Across The Field

"First off, I think you need a reality check on the perception of michigan's program. It has history, sure, but among 17/18 year old kids, it's a fossil. It's no different than a team like Nebraska or Washington. It's been a long time since these programs were genuine contenders, and there's no indication any of them are close to doing so in the next year or two, especially when programs like Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Auburn, Florida State, etc. are offering these kids at the same time."

My intent was not to rip on Nebraska at all, rather, prove that Michigan is one of the better recruiters in CFB over the past 15 years.