• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B1G bowl games

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends on your definition of "best bowl game". While the competition in the Rose Bowl is not always at the same level of alot of the other BCS games the history, tradition, pagaentry of the game are clearly the greatest. If you are going solely by matchups then you'd be correct IMO but if youa re going by overrall meaning to the game of CFB then the Rose Bowl wins in a landslide.

I can agree with everything except the last sentence. It's only meaningful to the 2 conferences that have been allowed to go.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are also routinely years where the B10 has gotten a 2nd BCS team even in years where maybe the teams performance did not warrant a BCS game. Of course part of this is because of how well the B10 teams travel but then we have a team in a BCS game that doesnt always belong and then all our other teams end up bumped up a spot in pecking order and we end up with 6-6 Minnesota playing 9-3 Texas Tech.

The Big 12 matchups are always ridiculous like that. Our top 5 teams are either in the BCS or facing the SEC. Then our lower end teams face someone in the top 4 in the Big 12. Your matchup against Oklahoma was downright offensive.

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that has been to the Rose Bowl and witnessed the magnitude of the sun-setting over the mountains heading into the 4th quarter knows why the Rose Bowl rules your face.
I went to the Nebraska vs the U NCG and felt bad for the fans because the game started late and it ruined the entire dynamic of the game. Late starts at the Rose Bowl just ruin the experience.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Change of topic. Anything to do with the SEC has nothing to do with the Rose Bowl topic.

And the numbers do support that the SEC is the best conference. Where do the numbers not support it?

But the Rose Bowl is a joke as far as being the best bowl game when only 2 conferences are allowed to play in it.

Well you said media hype, and the SEC is the king of that. 6 teams beat all the others...

I can agree with everything except the last sentence. It's only meaningful to the 2 conferences that have been allowed to go.

You can say this but you know it is not true. The other conferences would love to play in the Rose Bowl, do you know why? Because it is the best.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you said media hype, and the SEC is the king of that. 6 teams beat all the others...

And this is supposed to mean what exactly?

You can say this but you know it is not true. The other conferences would love to play in the Rose Bowl, do you know why? Because it is the best.

It's not the best when it only applies to like 24 schools out of 125.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Military Bowl might take the ACC #10 team vs. the B1G #10 team as well. We'll see.

That's possibly 4 bowl games between them. I think that's going overboard.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I dont understand is why all of our conference bowl tie ins have to be against teams that had better seasons than our teams did. The B10 is ALWAYS playing their 4th place vs another conferences 2nd or 3rd place or our 6th place vs another confernces 4th place etc etc. Then we act all shocked when we go 2-6 in bowls. Yes 6-6 Iowa playing 9-3 Texas or 8-4 Michigan playing 10-2 South Carolina are fun games but maybe we should try scheduling some bowls vs teams at least on the same level as us so we can start gaining back some national respect. Sick of 7th place Purdue losing to 4th place OK State and then being told the B10 sucks because of that.

There were only maybe 2 bowl games that matched up our team against a team that finished higher in their conference and one was the Pizza. I get what you're saying, it worked out that way a lot but it wasn't designed that way. The B1G had a lot of years when 2 teams went to BCS games and that shifts everything up one. When crooked ass teams get bowl game sanctions everything shifts up one. Plus the bowls could pick who they wanted within reason. For instance the Outback can take an 8-5 Florida team over a 9-4 Mississippi State team if they choose. The conference will have more control over that in the future.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Change of topic. Anything to do with the SEC has nothing to do with the Rose Bowl topic.

And the numbers do support that the SEC is the best conference. Where do the numbers not support it?

But the Rose Bowl is a joke as far as being the best bowl game when only 2 conferences are allowed to play in it.

When programs from outside of the conference like Bama, Texas and Miami played in championships there I remember them talking about how special it was to play in that venue.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is supposed to mean what exactly?

It's not the best when it only applies to like 24 schools out of 125.

Most bowl games only apply to 2 conferences.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
insertimage.gif

Rose Bowl Girl..... What The Black Mamba? Who knew!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When programs from outside of the conference like Bama, Texas and Miami played in championships there I remember them talking about how special it was to play in that venue.

Most bowl games only apply to 2 conferences.

It means something to Alabama because of our history. It's even in our fight song "Remember the rose bowl, we'll win then". In reference to when Alabama traveled out to the Rose Bowl and put the south on the map in terms of getting respect, because southern football was treated as being inferior until then.

However, the Pac and Big10 decided they would make it about them only, and quit allowing other teams from other conferences to play in them. So it's generally meaningless for all but the 24(now, was only 20) teams that are even allowed to play in it.

Yes, most bowl games now only apply to 2 conferences because of stupid agreements that revolve around money instead of great match ups.

The only thing the Rose Bowl has meant to me during my lifetime is a bunch of greedy pricks who have done everything in their power to prevent the progress of the sport for their own profits. It was because of the Rose Bowl that it was tough to get #1 to play #2. It's because of the Rose Bowl that playoffs haven't happened, and so on.

So media hype and the 2 conferences that play in it might think it's some grand event, but it won't hurt my feelings if it just disappeared.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Rose Bowl traditions and do not want to see them go away. I have a tremendous amount of respect for that bowl game because it was the first bowl game and the traditions go WAY back.

That said, I don't really too much care who plays in it or who wins it.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It means something to Alabama because of our history. It's even in our fight song "Remember the rose bowl, we'll win then". In reference to when Alabama traveled out to the Rose Bowl and put the south on the map in terms of getting respect, because southern football was treated as being inferior until then.

However, the Pac and Big10 decided they would make it about them only, and quit allowing other teams from other conferences to play in them. So it's generally meaningless for all but the 24(now, was only 20) teams that are even allowed to play in it.

Yes, most bowl games now only apply to 2 conferences because of stupid agreements that revolve around money instead of great match ups.

The only thing the Rose Bowl has meant to me during my lifetime is a bunch of greedy pricks who have done everything in their power to prevent the progress of the sport for their own profits. It was because of the Rose Bowl that it was tough to get #1 to play #2. It's because of the Rose Bowl that playoffs haven't happened, and so on.

So media hype and the 2 conferences that play in it might think it's some grand event, but it won't hurt my feelings if it just disappeared.

I get your point. I do. Lloyd Carr had that Bo Schembechler win the Big Ten mentality in a national championship or bust world and it drove me crazy. The Rose Bowl is sweet but a championship is more important for me. But it took you 4 paragraphs to get to the real point which is it doesn't mean anything to you. I would bet the majority, possibly the vast majority, of college football fans would disagree with you.