• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Article harshly critical of Harbaugh's offense written by Lowell Cohn

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, I learn something everyday. But Cohn's still wrong, because RG3 is not tied with Tom Brady, he's 0.1 higher (rounding up may contribute, but higher is higher). So there, take that, Cohn!!! ;)

Easy does it cowboy - Cohn is still correct. Rounding up is part of the parameter that determines the ranking. If you want to piss on Cohn's sneakers you can say that most, if not all, stat sites don't use the dense ranking method.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy does it cowboy - Cohn is still correct. Rounding up is part of the parameter that determines the ranking. If you want to piss on Cohn's sneakers you can say that most, if not all, stat sites don't use the dense ranking method.

Most, if not all, stat sites don't use the dense ranking method. (I also thought that RGIII was higher when it technically it's Brady - if you don't round the numbers.)

Calvin_peeing_on_Hobbes_by_MechaRoboSheep.jpg

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most, if not all, stat sites don't use the dense ranking method. (I also thought that RGIII was higher when it technically it's Brady - if you don't round the numbers.)

View attachment 4080

Oh that is just wrong - Poor Tigger :(

So, what is the difference?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh that is just wrong - Poor Tigger :(

Poor Hobbes, which should be Cohn in this instance. Calvin and Hobbes was one of my favorite comics growing up. Now, as an adult, I can't get into it. It's like Garfield is to me, I understand the humor, but I'll pass.

So, what is the difference?

104.212963 (Brady) vs. 104.196343771 (RG3) vs. 104.06106 (Smith) - so I saw Smith as clearly #3, not second ranked.

Or if you were asking the difference between the standard ranking and dense ranking method - as a time-killing pop quiz (because you already know obviously), I know the difference now.

1. 250
1. 250
2. 249

vs.

1. 250
1. 250
3. 249

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Hobbes, which should be Cohn in this instance. Calvin and Hobbes was one of my favorite comics growing up. Now, as an adult, I can't get into it. It's like Garfield is to me, I understand the humor, but I'll pass.

104.212963 (Brady) vs. 104.196343771 (RG3) vs. 104.06106 (Smith) - so I saw Smith as clearly #3, not second ranked.

Or if you were asking the difference between the standard ranking and dense ranking method - as a time-killing pop quiz (because you already know obviously), I know the difference now.

1. 250
1. 250
2. 249

vs.

1. 250
1. 250
3. 249

Oh haha! That looked like Tigger was gettin' pissed on

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh haha! That looked like Tigger was gettin' pissed on

Yeah, it wasn't the best image. I stole it from a site I found on google. Cohn isn't worth me doing my own Photoshop. (I'm half-joking with the Cohn thing, I don't mind him because I don't read his stuff often. What got me on Cohn is that he's unreasonable with Harbaugh, when Harbaugh can already be unreasonable with the media. Put those two together and it's off the wall. When choosing, I'm choosing the coach. Cohn seems to have some ego against Harbaugh, annoyingly so. I'm sure Maiocco gets frustrated with Harbaugh when he has to make a story, but he's been professional and it's not about him. Plus, it helps that he brings in new things, quotes, and insight from time to time. I sometimes see him as a local Sando.)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it wasn't the best image. I stole it from a site I found on google. Cohn isn't worth me doing my own Photoshop. (I'm half-joking with the Cohn thing, I don't mind him because I don't read his stuff often. What got me on Cohn is that he's unreasonable with Harbaugh, when Harbaugh can already be unreasonable with the media. Put those two together and it's off the wall. When choosing, I'm choosing the coach. Cohn seems to have some ego against Harbaugh, annoyingly so. I'm sure Maiocco gets frustrated with Harbaugh when he has to make a story, but he's been professional and it's not about him. Plus, it helps that he brings in new things, quotes, and insight from time to time. I sometimes see him as a local Sando.)

Daddy Cohn is well known for being an antagonist. He puts some things out there worth reading but he is looking to be more provocative than informative.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Cohn: Niners may be good, but they've got issues

I wonder if he's always so negative or just negative for the purposes of his writing and thus getting attention.

He's not wrong but every team every year has issues and spots they can get better at and improve on.

The majority of teams would take our issues over their own. Just giving it a quick thought but I wouldn't trade places with any other team in the league and I would say the Seahawks and Broncos are the only other two teams that I would consider going into their offseasons without any major issues. Seriously how many teams would love to have the find a BACKUP QB as one of their issues? I'm sure the Cards, Jets, and Browns would absolutely love to have that problem.

The biggest thing I disagree with is:

That takes us to the big, big picture. The 49ers can commit to correct thinking or wrong thinking. What is wrong thinking?

Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh can continue to think the 49ers are the best team in the league, and make only minor changes and additions as they did last offseason, basically a total zilch. They can tell themselves, “We should have won the Super Bowl. We were five yards away from victory, but the refs jobbed us.” They can decide to keep this team together as is.

Call this the highly-confident-bordering-on-arrogant approach. Call it the minor-tweak approach.

If the 49ers stand pat and make only minor tweaks, they risk never winning the Super Bowl. For a team generally regarded as the most talented in the league, they have lots of issues, as we've discussed.

Cohn the 9ers were just shy of making the SB last year and barely lost it this year. Nobody is suggesting we stand pat and address some issues and upgrade that talent in places but you're making it sound like the team isn't that great and needs to be blown up.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cohn: Niners may be good, but they've got issues

I wonder if he's always so negative or just negative for the purposes of his writing and thus getting attention.

He's not wrong but every team every year has issues and spots they can get better at and improve on.

My question is who is this dudes attended audience? Non 49er fans? Football fans not in the bay? Because any 49er fans or people living in the Bay Area would know this about the team right?

For example, 49ers need a #2 WR with the departure of Moss. Hell we needed a #2 with Moss he only caught 28 passes. or If Justin Smith gets hurt in week 2 the defense is in trouble. Wow what wonderful insight that is!

Seriously I hate reporters like this. Their our issues with the team but that is what FA and the draft are for and Since Harbaalke has been here there hasn't been an off season where the 49ers have "stand pact" Does he forget we brought in 2 WRs in FA drafted 1 and brought in 2 DBs drafted 1 and picked up a UDFA last off season? This dude is a douche I mean I don't like when reporters are to homerish but its even worse when a reporter takes the negaitive road just to "distinguish themselves"

This is why I stick with Barrows & sometimes Maiocco for my 49er editorials. They no how to be partial without being negative.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My question is who is this dudes attended audience? Non 49er fans? Football fans not in the bay? Because any 49er fans or people living in the Bay Area would know this about the team right?

For example, 49ers need a #2 WR with the departure of Moss. Hell we needed a #2 with Moss he only caught 28 passes. or If Justin Smith gets hurt in week 2 the defense is in trouble. Wow what wonderful insight that is!

Seriously I hate reporters like this. Their our issues with the team but that is what FA and the draft are for and Since Harbaalke has been here there hasn't been an off season where the 49ers have "stand pact" Does he forget we brought in 2 WRs in FA drafted 1 and brought in 2 DBs drafted 1 and picked up a UDFA last off season? This dude is a douche I mean I don't like when reporters are to homerish but its even worse when a reporter takes the negaitive road just to "distinguish themselves"

This is why I stick with Barrows & sometimes Maiocco for my 49er editorials. They no how to be partial without being negative.

His audience is Niners fans. He likes to rile people up. It's his schtick.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Aww I see mission accomplished

Haha. No doubt. The guy's just a moron who makes his career trying to stir the pot.

The Niners are once again in the best shape of any team in the league going into the offseason. Do they have some tough questions ahead of them? Of course. What team in the salary cap era doesn't? But this team is remarkably complete, particularly considering that they will have 15 picks in the draft.

To address some of Cohn's specific complaints more directly, in terms of offense, the Niners need a #2 WR and a backup QB. Wow. How will they ever find pieces to plug into those virtually impossible-to-fill positions? I mean, sure, they've got probably the best OL in the league, a very good stable of RBs, a great situation at TE - which might get a bit worse pending Walker's FA decision, and a good starting WR to go along with one of the most promising young QBs in the game. But having top-10 talent at pretty much every position except 2nd WR is hardly going to cut it.

Back to reality: The offense - which struggled through a QB change mid-season - was a bit sluggish at the start of playoff games. But this team can move the ball with ease when it's clicking. There's obviously room for improvement, particularly in the red zone, but with a full offseason as the starter under his belt, I have no doubt but that Kap will figure this out and the offense will be doing just fine. Incidentally, I agree the Manningham injury is a concern. But his size? The guy is effectively six feet, probably in the 190 range. That's not great size, but it's certainly not tiny. More importantly, he's shown he can be a solid #2 and very good #3.

As for the D, I take some exception with his characterization of that unit "collapsing" in the playoffs. There's no doubt they struggled in stretches, but if you look at their body of work it was pretty darn good. Against the Packers, they allowed 17 points in meaningful game time (pick-six to start that wasn't on them, garbage-time TD with under a minute left up by 21). Against Atlanta they allowed 24, and shut them out in the second half - granted with some help from Roddy White falling and Ryan fumbling a snap. And against Baltimore they allowed 27 points, but held them to six in the second half. That's not the sort of D we've come to expect, but I can live with a D that allows 23 PPG in the playoffs. Like the offense, they've got to start games better. But that's not the sort of terrible performance Cohn makes it sound like.

As for the specifics, obviously losing arguably the best player on any D will affect it. Though Jean-Francois is not the primary backup to Justin Smith. Prior to his own injury, that would have been Dobbs. No doubt we have to address some concerns in the secondary. But the draft and FA are strong in that area.

This team can't be complacent, but it's in great shape if they keep doing what they've been doing the past couple years.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so much nitpicking from Cohn. Yes all those things are true but cmon every team would take those problems in a heartbeat. Remarkably the Niners have the picks AND the cap space to fix these "problems". Would like to see if Cohn can find 1 team that has the talent and the flexibility to improve the team like the Niners do. That would make a more interesting column. But that would require some praise, not a Cohn trait.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just so much nitpicking from Cohn. Yes all those things are true but cmon every team would take those problems in a heartbeat. Remarkably the Niners have the picks AND the cap space to fix these "problems". Would like to see if Cohn can find 1 team that has the talent and the flexibility to improve the team like the Niners do. That would make a more interesting column. But that would require some praise, not a Cohn trait.

And some actual research/effort.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The bolded part rings true it feels like when I was in Highschool I got 6 A's & 1 B on my report card and when I showed my mom she says "why did you get a B" I was like really mom? :gaah:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Cohn:

I long have advocated Kaepernick over Smith, believe he is the superior quarterback. But Harbaugh has done such a poor job of making the transition, I wonder why he bothered in the first place.

jackasse.jpg

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That guy is completely unreadable. I won't even waste my time reading his articles in the offseason. I don't want to contribute an additional click to his garbage. It's embarrassing that he's able to keep pushing out this drivel year after year.