• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the NFL

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree that film trumps everything when it comes to evaluation of a player. Teams do highly value the Senior Bowl as the drills are actual football drills and it gives them an opportunity to see these players matched up against some of the better prospects. Small school players especially have been known to get a huge bump after the Senior Bowl.

This past Senior Bowl good chance you see a huge bump for Josh Jones on the OL. Many questioned his stats/tape because his competition was so terrible week in and week out. He showed well against some good prospects and boom now he seems like a lock to go in the 1st round.

So yes the Senior Bowl isn't everything in the evaluation process. Not even close to what I was trying to say. I was more pointing to it having much more value than you were giving it credit. There are many pieces to the puzzle and the Senior Bowl is a decent one for Seniors. Also have to remember that is the first place that medical checks show up and the Senior Bowl is one of the most relaxed atmospheres of the offseason when it comes to coaches/FO people interacting with these players. They eat, talk,and spend an entire week just getting to know these kids.

Heck honestly one could argue the Senior Bowl is more valuable than the Combine. There is a reason that 2 teams left their entire coaching staff at home to do more work of watching film than being in interviews with the players.
You make a good point but it's out of context.

Back to my comment about "your record"... There are situations, like the one you describe, where players can add to their track record and that's the value of the senior bowl. Teams are there in force to find the diamonds in rough, and there are so many diamonds that need more exposure. Similar holds true for the combine, though every player is more deeply scrutinized.

The part that's out of context is Love, who had played decent competition had put so much on tape that the senior bowl shouldn't be that relevant. This is my opinion and I know his "stock" went up after it, but I may be against the grain on this, but I don't see that performance adding much.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how the fuck do you answer a question like that?
When asked a stupid wishy washy question like that I answer with an under confident "good", like I don't understand the question. I just hope they follow it it with another question trying to dig deeper so I can keep playing dumb.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make a good point but it's out of context.

Back to my comment about "your record"... There are situations, like the one you describe, where players can add to their track record and that's the value of the senior bowl. Teams are there in force to find the diamonds in rough, and there are so many diamonds that need more exposure. Similar holds true for the combine, though every player is more deeply scrutinized.

The part that's out of context is Love, who had played decent competition had put so much on tape that the senior bowl shouldn't be that relevant. This is my opinion and I know his "stock" went up after it, but I may be against the grain on this, but I don't see that performance adding much.

With Love my guess is his stock rising after the Senior Bowl isn't so much for his play on the field but his work in the classroom. Mike Mayock just had a great interview talking about the WR position that they are so ill prepared for the NFL because most of what they do is every play look at a sign on the sideline or have the coach on the sideline yell something out that lets them know the route they are running. So when they get to the NFL and have to have a 25 word play memorized and understand all the option routes involved that are predicated on coverage that is like going from basic math to Masters level Physics.

So getting these players in the classroom and seeing how they handle that much information being thrown at them is a huge indicator of how they will handle what will be thrown at them as rookies. From what I understand Love did pretty well in this area. Same with Justin Herbert to an even greater level and why Herbert is being talked about as possibly the 2nd QB taken off the board depending on Tua's injury.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of you guys watched more than 2 minutes of the Combine in one sitting??

I'm sorry but watching 25 guys running across the field, trying to stay on the yard line, catching and dropping balls and then turning and running upfield just did not give me any blood flow to the groin.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Combine is bad TV no matter how much the league wants it not to be.

I just look at the numbers afterward. They’re basically either going to confirm what I already thought about a player, or make me go back and look into a player more.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Combine is nothing more than a cash cow for the NFL. If the top 50 college players refused to attend for a year, it would be over in a heartbeat.

More and more players are having personal workout days for scouts or coaches and are not being herded around like animals at a 4-H show. Most the players don't do stupid drills. They do stuff that shows what they can do in a football game, not a gym.

Anybody remember the offensive lineman that had scouts come see him and was in full gear including a helmet. I had to be about 8-10 years ago. He ran a 5.5 40 yd and pushed a 1000 lb sled something like 30 or 40 yards?

I know he was drafted, but no one from the media was there and there are no photos, films or stories. Everyone learned about him from a few of the guys that were at the workout.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife likes to watch them run the 40 yard dash because... and I quote “You can see their THINGY’S wiggle around when they run!” If it makes her happy, who am I to change the channel.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Combine is nothing more than a cash cow for the NFL. If the top 50 college players refused to attend for a year, it would be over in a heartbeat.

More and more players are having personal workout days for scouts or coaches and are not being herded around like animals at a 4-H show. Most the players don't do stupid drills. They do stuff that shows what they can do in a football game, not a gym.

Anybody remember the offensive lineman that had scouts come see him and was in full gear including a helmet. I had to be about 8-10 years ago. He ran a 5.5 40 yd and pushed a 1000 lb sled something like 30 or 40 yards?

I know he was drafted, but no one from the media was there and there are no photos, films or stories. Everyone learned about him from a few of the guys that were at the workout.

Agreed, what will a team see at the Combine they can't test at a Pro Day, Personal Workout or Film?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was BK, but it turned out he only pasted it :)
I thnk QBs that go to the Combine and refuse to throw are cowards. I mean shit you are there but I guess they are protecting their best interest?>

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thnk QBs that go to the Combine and refuse to throw are cowards. I mean shit you are there but I guess they are protecting their best interest?>
I don't think coward is the right word, but you are close. The term you are looking for is "gutless".

They are protecting their interests by playing safe. They see they have enough on tape that anymore more positives won't add, but any negative could detract.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think coward is the right word, but you are close. The term you are looking for is "gutless".

They are protecting their interests by playing safe. They see they have enough on tape that anymore more positives won't add, but any negative could detract.
I can go with gutless.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting quotes tonight on Early Edition on NBCSports Boston

From the lead beat writer of the Tampa Bay Bucs.......Tampa Bay Tribune.

Bryan Glazer the Majority Owner of the Bucs (His two brothers are the other owners) has told Bruce Arians "Do not negotiate with Tom Brady. Give him whatever he wants.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have not been to the playoffs for 12 years. Tom Brady has been in the playoffs for the past 11 and has won 6 Super Bowls. Do whatever it takes to get Tom Brady to play for this team.

When asked if this might be considered tampering, the writer said that this was a conversation that supposedly has taken place between Glazer and Bruce Arians. No one else has been involved.

Think TB12 might want 5 years $200M???