• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Around the NFL

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love isn’t expected to get out of the top-14 picks so If the Pats want him they are going to have to trade an arm and a leg to get him.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Combine starts for real today.

Offensive linemen will spend a portion of the day addressing the media.

All players will take the NFL Psychological test today.

Tomorrow the NFL Network begins live broadcasts at 4:00 PM.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love isn’t expected to get out of the top-14 picks so If the Pats want him they are going to have to trade an arm and a leg to get him.

You're hoping he goes that early. His stats sucked in 2019 and he threw almost as many INTs as TDs. His status has dropped according to every single draft source. He was a top three after 2018 and fell like the proverbial rock in 2019.

A trade may be costly as every trade is on Draft Day but an arm and a leg is a Bronco fan praying for a worst-case scenario.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Pats target a QB early I hope they target Eason, if they got late so post round 4 I like Jake Luton

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Pats target a QB early I hope they target Eason, if they got late so post round 4 I like Jake Luton

You know and I know that there are 31 teams watching BB do everything from talking to a player to counting the number of sheets of toilet paper he uses to wipe his ass. Love could be a total fake and now everyone is checking their notes to see if they may have missed something. Bill is probably looking at Someone not even on the horizon like Jimmy G.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know and I know that there are 31 teams watching BB do everything from talking to a player to counting the number of sheets of toilet paper he uses to wipe his ass. Love could be a total fake and now everyone is checking their notes to see if they may have missed something. Bill is probably looking at Someone not even on the horizon like Jimmy G.

Actually I do not agree there are 31 teams watching BB do what he does. I believe there are 31 teams who are researching positions of need and players of interest. I can't imagine any team wasting precious hours worrying about what any other team is doing. They are focused more on their needs and not ours.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Love will be gone by the time we pick. Most people are comparing him to Mahomes. I too would be alright with Eason being our pick in the first round. But I’d also be fine with them choosing Jalen Hurts with one of our 3rd round picks. The guy is a winner. A great athlete. Threw 32 TD’s 3,600 yards. Rushed for 1,200 yards and 18 TD’s. If Brady stays he could learn from him. He already said he’d be happy with that situation.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're hoping he goes that early. His stats sucked in 2019 and he threw almost as many INTs as TDs. His status has dropped according to every single draft source. He was a top three after 2018 and fell like the proverbial rock in 2019.

A trade may be costly as every trade is on Draft Day but an arm and a leg is a Bronco fan praying for a worst-case scenario.

This isn't about me hoping. This is the news coming out of the Combine that teams will be trading up for QB's. There is a chance that 4-5 go before the Broncos pick. I know the Colts and Bucs have shown a ton of interest in Love.

Also don't be a box score scout. Stats don't tell the whole picture. He had a very good Senior Bowl and alleviated a lot of concerns teams had. He is a project but teams go crazy for QB's. I always think back to the 2011 draft where guys like JJ Watt, Tyron Smith, and others were passed up because teams were desperate for QB.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I do not agree there are 31 teams watching BB do what he does. I believe there are 31 teams who are researching positions of need and players of interest. I can't imagine any team wasting precious hours worrying about what any other team is doing. They are focused more on their needs and not ours.

Love has been going in the 1st round of almost every mock for the last 2 months. The Patriots showing some interest is not the reason all of a sudden teams are going crazy for him. He has all the tools a team needs in a QB. His biggest knocks are how raw he is as a prospect and that he probably won't be ready year one. Teams though are willing to take chances on players like that in the 1st especially after a guy like Mahomes is now the best QB in the league and had some similar concerns coming out.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Love will be gone by the time we pick. Most people are comparing him to Mahomes. I too would be alright with Eason being our pick in the first round. But I’d also be fine with them choosing Jalen Hurts with one of our 3rd round picks. The guy is a winner. A great athlete. Threw 32 TD’s 3,600 yards. Rushed for 1,200 yards and 18 TD’s. If Brady stays he could learn from him. He already said he’d be happy with that situation.

This is going to sound dumb but I am going to say it anyway.

Hurts worries me he lost his job to Tua and I am not impressed with Tua. Now maybe that was a poor coaches decision I don't know but he worries me. I agree he is very athletic and if his passing skills can be honed he could be a solid NFL guy. Part of me just needs to accept the league is trending more to mobile QBs vs Pocket Passers, and for an old crusty bastard like me it's difficult.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love has been going in the 1st round of almost every mock for the last 2 months. The Patriots showing some interest is not the reason all of a sudden teams are going crazy for him. He has all the tools a team needs in a QB. His biggest knocks are how raw he is as a prospect and that he probably won't be ready year one. Teams though are willing to take chances on players like that in the 1st especially after a guy like Mahomes is now the best QB in the league and had some similar concerns coming out.

I agree IMO drafting in the first is more about a players upside / ability to improve than it is being NFL ready year one. There are some positions where players can come in rookie year and make an impact and others that need time. IMO there are greater needs for the Pats than QB which is why I advocate waiting and taking a guy like Luton as I stated earlier. Luton has the tools, has a lot of upside, needs time and will be there later so we can fill other more pressing needs.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree IMO drafting in the first is more about a players upside / ability to improve than it is being NFL ready year one. There are some positions where players can come in rookie year and make an impact and others that need time. IMO there are greater needs for the Pats than QB which is why I advocate waiting and taking a guy like Luton as I stated earlier. Luton has the tools, has a lot of upside, needs time and will be there later so we can fill other more pressing needs.

That is probably the direction I would go for the Pats as well. Love is not worth what it will take to trade up and get. I'm not a huge fan of his game as I think he is pretty far off and just has way too many issues to be worth trading up say a couple 1st round picks and more to be able to get for the Pats.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't about me hoping. This is the news coming out of the Combine that teams will be trading up for QB's. There is a chance that 4-5 go before the Broncos pick. I know the Colts and Bucs have shown a ton of interest in Love.

Also don't be a box score scout. Stats don't tell the whole picture. He had a very good Senior Bowl and alleviated a lot of concerns teams had. He is a project but teams go crazy for QB's. I always think back to the 2011 draft where guys like JJ Watt, Tyron Smith, and others were passed up because teams were desperate for QB.
I don't put a ton of stock in the senior bowl. Players are playing without a system and are likely to be more conservative since looking bad is worse than the benefit of looking good. A QB can look good because the defense is paying softer due to the lack of coordination of players who have all played in different systems.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't put a ton of stock in the senior bowl. Players are playing without a system and are likely to be more conservative since looking bad is worse than the benefit of looking good. A QB can look good because the defense is paying softer due to the lack of coordination of players who have all played in different systems.

Then what is the point of having the Senior Bowl? Why is it that every NFL team sends their 2nd largest group of coaches/GM's/Scouts down to the event? It has huge value for the NFL in being able to evaluate especially players like Love that played at a smaller school. Also gives teams a chance to see how a player like Love handles having to learn an NFL playbook in a short time and perform.

I've been a media person at the Senior Bowl. I can promise you every coach is watching every snap very closely. Almost got ran over by Vrabel (not a small man) because he was so focused on catching something going on during practice. Sat next to Andy Reid and a bunch of the Chiefs' coaches. They were all taking notes of what was happening on the field.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then what is the point of having the Senior Bowl? Why is it that every NFL team sends their 2nd largest group of coaches/GM's/Scouts down to the event? It has huge value for the NFL in being able to evaluate especially players like Love that played at a smaller school. Also gives teams a chance to see how a player like Love handles having to learn an NFL playbook in a short time and perform.

I've been a media person at the Senior Bowl. I can promise you every coach is watching every snap very closely. Almost got ran over by Vrabel (not a small man) because he was so focused on catching something going on during practice. Sat next to Andy Reid and a bunch of the Chiefs' coaches. They were all taking notes of what was happening on the field.

They largely go there to watch and coach up at the practices the game itself pffft won't see much there that isn't already on film.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've never sent anyone to the Senior Bowl and when I wrote "I don't put a ton of stock...." I was giving my personal opinion and not representing mankind. Clearly there's a ton of resources devoted to scouting that thing, but as YankmeReb stated, there's a ton already on film.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is Parcel's "You are what your record says you are". The senior bowl can add to a player record, but it doesn't erase what's already there.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

YR, you just might get your wish......

Patriots asked this Oregon State QB how he'd feel about replacing Tom Brady

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They largely go there to watch and coach up at the practices the game itself pffft won't see much there that isn't already on film.
Right. When I went down there my editor told me not to worry about sticking around for the game as no one cared about the game. The only position that kind of mattered for the game more so than practice was RB's since practice they were limited on what they could show.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never sent anyone to the Senior Bowl and when I wrote "I don't put a ton of stock...." I was giving my personal opinion and not representing mankind. Clearly there's a ton of resources devoted to scouting that thing, but as YankmeReb stated, there's a ton already on film.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is Parcel's "You are what your record says you are". The senior bowl can add to a player record, but it doesn't erase what's already there.

I don't disagree that film trumps everything when it comes to evaluation of a player. Teams do highly value the Senior Bowl as the drills are actual football drills and it gives them an opportunity to see these players matched up against some of the better prospects. Small school players especially have been known to get a huge bump after the Senior Bowl.

This past Senior Bowl good chance you see a huge bump for Josh Jones on the OL. Many questioned his stats/tape because his competition was so terrible week in and week out. He showed well against some good prospects and boom now he seems like a lock to go in the 1st round.

So yes the Senior Bowl isn't everything in the evaluation process. Not even close to what I was trying to say. I was more pointing to it having much more value than you were giving it credit. There are many pieces to the puzzle and the Senior Bowl is a decent one for Seniors. Also have to remember that is the first place that medical checks show up and the Senior Bowl is one of the most relaxed atmospheres of the offseason when it comes to coaches/FO people interacting with these players. They eat, talk,and spend an entire week just getting to know these kids.

Heck honestly one could argue the Senior Bowl is more valuable than the Combine. There is a reason that 2 teams left their entire coaching staff at home to do more work of watching film than being in interviews with the players.