• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Arizona State @ Stanford

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you read my first post in this thread I said I wasn't impressed with ASU. I don't believe they played up to their hype by any means. The problem is Stanford hasn't had any kind of test yet and has reloaded at some key positions so there is no way of knowing if they will play like a top 10 team, but many have their doubts.

I really don't know who to take in this game.

I'd go furd bc they have a ton of experience playing against this type of offense....wouldn't be surprised of any outcome though.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you read my first post in this thread I said I wasn't impressed with ASU. I don't believe they played up to their hype by any means. The problem is Stanford hasn't had any kind of test yet and has reloaded at some key positions so there is no way of knowing if they will play like a top 10 team, but many have their doubts.

I really don't know who to take in this game.

The offensive drives we put together in the 2nd half weren't impressive? Taylor Kelly, Foster, Grice and Strong it was only the 2nd game of the season We have nfl talent on defense Bradford and Sutton need to show up.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The major difference between Wisconsin and Stanford for ASU's purposes are going to be that Stanford's linebackers can probably do a better job covering ASU's running backs in the passing game while still keeping their top guy Skov doing his normal job, where if Wisconsin wanted to have a LB stick with Foster or Grice, they'd have had to use Borland. Tarpley excels in pass coverage. He's one of the best in the country at it. Additionally, I suspect Stanford's corners are a bit more polished and less handsy. I'd expect a better pass rush from Stanford as well.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need Marcus Ball back. Also were not wearing all black? We always play awful in those has our Mens basketball program ever won a game in those things?

:agree:

Maroon and Gold are our colors and should be out home uniform every game. Black sucks anywhere, any time IMO and I don't think they scare anybody, except me.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offensive drives we put together in the 2nd half weren't impressive? Taylor Kelly, Foster, Grice and Strong it was only the 2nd game of the season We have nfl talent on defense Bradford and Sutton need to show up.

Would you stop being so defensive about your team? Jesus, we get it dude. You are fully vested in your team and think they are on their way to a national title run. Not everyone agrees with you.

Are you under the age of 20? Because if you are I'm going to give you a break and chalk up your zealousness to youth.

I had much higher expectations for that game than they delivered. You were happy with it and found they played great. Good on ya. You do realize they needed a blown FG call to go their way and the worst ending in college football history to win that game at home right? Mince no words here, you got a W against wisky and it wasn't earned on the field in the eyes of most of the country. So as far as viewing how you played in that game you played poorly enough to have lost despite the results.

That means the question is how is Stanford compared to them and how much worse would we expect ASU to play on the road vs at home. We know Stanford doesn't get much of a home field advantage, but with ASU losing their HFA will they do even worse? Before you say anything we already know your view. The rest of us won't believe it until we see it so save us the rah rah.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you stop being so defensive about your team? Jesus, we get it dude. You are fully vested in your team and think they are on their way to a national title run. Not everyone agrees with you.

Are you under the age of 20? Because if you are I'm going to give you a break and chalk up your zealousness to youth.

I had much higher expectations for that game than they delivered. You were happy with it and found they played great. Good on ya. You do realize they needed a blown FG call to go their way and the worst ending in college football history to win that game at home right? Mince no words here, you got a W against wisky and it wasn't earned on the field in the eyes of most of the country. So as far as viewing how you played in that game you played poorly enough to have lost despite the results.

That means the question is how is Stanford compared to them and how much worse would we expect ASU to play on the road vs at home. We know Stanford doesn't get much of a home field advantage, but with ASU losing their HFA will they do even worse? Before you say anything we already know your view. The rest of us won't believe it until we see it so save us the rah rah.

Dude im not mad at all lol. I didn't think we were impressive on defense but I thought the offense moved the ball come on man and yes im 17. We did not deserve the W but this is ASU football we never get any breaks just like when we went down to Wisky in 2010 and the officials were absolutely awful.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham would of got so much heat if we lost, why not take the 3 points? Why not take the 2 Pats it was to early to go for it anyway in both situations.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude im not mad at all lol. I didn't think we were impressive on defense but I thought the offense moved the ball come on man and yes im 17. We did not deserve the W but this is ASU football we never get any breaks just like when we went down to Wisky in 2010 and the officials were absolutely awful.
Didn't say you were mad, but you do pretty much jump on every ASU comment made and at times its a bit overdone. Good to know you are 17 as that's all I need to give you a break. Had you said you were 30 I'd be tearing into you.

Not being impressive on defense at home is the point. At home is where the defense should always shine the most right? Stanford is reloading parts of its offensive line, TE's, and other key positions and no one knows what kind of a step back they might take, but at home against an unimpressive ASU defense many of us wonder how this game will turn out. I like Stanford far more now than had ASU won by 14 against wisky.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't say you were mad, but you do pretty much jump on every ASU comment made and at times its a bit overdone. Good to know you are 17 as that's all I need to give you a break. Had you said you were 30 I'd be tearing into you.

Not being impressive on defense at home is the point. At home is where the defense should always shine the most right? Stanford is reloading parts of its offensive line, TE's, and other key positions and no one knows what kind of a step back they might take, but at home against an unimpressive ASU defense many of us wonder how this game will turn out. I like Stanford far more now than had ASU won by 14 against wisky.

Game probably would of been different if Richard Smith would of caught some balls, its all about momentum and dropping those passes in the end zone that shit cant happen. I was at the game and I kept telling myself "I thought the wrs were fixed". "I thought the run defense was fixed", and it wasn't like our run defense was bad, I just don't understand why it was so bad on the outsides?

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I just thought the defense would be good this year especially with the way they played last year and Sutton and Hood gaining weight would help the run d and our pass rush would still be good. But so far Bradford and Sutton 0 sacks and our outside containment is awful.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope stanford is garbage this year. Might bring gameday to Seattle Oct 12

Honestly we can't know how good/bad Stanford is based just on their game vs Army and SJS. The power offense don't lend itself to blow outs as often as the uptempo/speed teams. Sure, they will get some, but not as much or as often.

At home in a conference game is a whole different thing.

I might agree with you and pick ASU, but I watched some of that game last week and thought they well under performed compared to expectation. If they had that many issues at home, what are they going to do on the road?

Stanford can be less that they were the last two years and they'll still be tough. Why would anyone expect anything else?

ASU, considering its only the second season following the epic 2011 collapse, looked damn good for the first real game of the year and definitely best since DE's first year. Expectations from those not close to the team have always been a bugaboo for ASU. It would be epic win if we could go to Palo Alto and beat Stanford.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't think your run defense is great you are in for a long night. Stanfords power set will eat up every team that isn't stout enough to stop it. As soon as you stuff the box to stop them they go outside and light you up. Been watching them do that for several years now.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford can be less that they were the last two years and they'll still be tough. Why would anyone expect anything else?

ASU, considering its only the second season following the epic 2011 collapse, looked damn good for the first real game of the year and definitely best since DE's first year. Expectations from those not close to the team have always been a bugaboo for ASU. It would be epic win if we could go to Palo Alto and beat Stanford.

I'm really torn on this game. One of the reasons I haven't turned in my picks for the week. I really think Stanford should come out with a W, but probably not beat the spread. In close games anything can happen.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the run d is good up the middle but there were 2 long outside runs that shows weakness on the edges. I like Tk though vs Stanford his style of play hes a good thrower on the run and he can take off when he needs to.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:mod:

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re watching the 2nd half the defense actually played pretty well linebackers started to get after it. There was good containment on the outside then we started cramping. Gotta be healthy next week.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The major difference between Wisconsin and Stanford for ASU's purposes are going to be that Stanford's linebackers can probably do a better job covering ASU's running backs in the passing game while still keeping their top guy Skov doing his normal job, where if Wisconsin wanted to have a LB stick with Foster or Grice, they'd have had to use Borland. Tarpley excels in pass coverage. He's one of the best in the country at it. Additionally, I suspect Stanford's corners are a bit more polished and less handsy. I'd expect a better pass rush from Stanford as well.

Great point. Too many times did we get caught with an OLB Kelly against a back in the slot or out of the backfield....don't understand that personnel one bit, we stuck in our base a bit too much..guess it's a double edged sword with trying to stop the run vs pass, but I didn't even see us try to get into strictly nickel for a prolonged period of time.

Last edited by a moderator: