• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona, NY and NE best corners in the game,,, wait what?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although you may be right, you will never win this argument. Very few, if any Seattle fans will ever admit there is a better CB tandem than what they have.

Until proven differently, why would we?

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until proven differently, why would we?

Because you are not looking at it objectively. You are assuming because you have the best defense overall, you have the best CB's.

The only thing proven is you have the best defense as a unit. As individuals, I think it questionable who has the best CB tandem. For example: If you put Sherman and Maxwell on the Cowboys, the defense will improve but probably not dramatically because their safeties and front 7 are way below average. Statistics are not a good indicator because your defense is so solid across the board.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you are not looking at it objectively. You are assuming because you have the best defense overall, you have the best CB's.

The only thing proven is you have the best defense as a unit. As individuals, I think it questionable who has the best CB tandem. For example: If you put Sherman and Maxwell on the Cowboys, the defense will improve but probably not dramatically because their safeties and front 7 are way below average. Statistics are not a good indicator because your defense is so solid across the board.

Come on now, most football folks and fans would agree that the Seahawks had the best secondary in the league last year. I'm sure I could find comments or quotes to back that up.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on now, most football folks and fans would agree that the Seahawks had the best secondary in the league last year. I'm sure I could find comments or quotes to back that up.

The best secondary doesn't mean the best cornerback tandem in the NFL. It means the best set of 4 or 5 DB(s). That is where the disconnect for Seattle fans begin.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best secondary doesn't mean the best cornerback tandem in the NFL. It means the best set of 4 or 5 DB(s). That is where the disconnect for Seattle fans begin.

I'm fine with the best secondary in the league. However just what was the best cornerback tandem last year IYO?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cards' secondary feared with Antonio Cromartie - ESPN

Arizona can make a case for having one of the best corner tandems in the league, alongside the New England Patriots and the New York Giants.

Hmm. I feel their forgetting something.. oh i dont know, maybe the Super Bowl Winning team, with undoubtedly the best secondary in football.....

But yeah, sure, New york signs away seattles Nickle Corner, and NE signs away Seattles old starter who lost his job to Maxwell and didn't play the second half of the year or playoffs. yeah their better then Seattle..... Oh and the cards big signing.... Cro is big time in name only.. He was statistically one of the worst corners in the game last year........ahhhhhh its cool its not like Seattle uses stuff like this to motivate themselves.....

This is one of those stupid ESPN posts that is so stupid it is almost rage-worthy. It's so stupid that I don't even have the energy to explain why it is so wrong.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cards' secondary feared with Antonio Cromartie - ESPN

Arizona can make a case for having one of the best corner tandems in the league, alongside the New England Patriots and the New York Giants.

Hmm. I feel their forgetting something.. oh i dont know, maybe the Super Bowl Winning team, with undoubtedly the best secondary in football.....

But yeah, sure, New york signs away seattles Nickle Corner, and NE signs away Seattles old starter who lost his job to Maxwell and didn't play the second half of the year or playoffs. yeah their better then Seattle..... Oh and the cards big signing.... Cro is big time in name only.. He was statistically one of the worst corners in the game last year........ahhhhhh its cool its not like Seattle uses stuff like this to motivate themselves.....

bc.gif

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that would be the reason the Seahawks are not mentioned he will have to prove it while AZ, NE and Giants have established guys.

Established guys? Really?

Arizona:
1. Patrick Peterson: Yes, proven
2. Antonio Cromartie: There is a reason he only signed a 1 year deal, because his play in 2013 was miserable at best due to an injury.

Giants:
1. DRC: Earned himself the nickname "Don't really care" with the Eagles due to his poor play. Now that he has his big pay check, you really think he is going to give 100% effort?
2. Walter Thurmond: Played well as a nickel corner for the Seahawks and played well as the #2 CB when Browner went down. His downside is that he has injury concerns that go back to college, this guy is made of glass.

New York:
1. Darrelle Revis: Obvious commodity.
2. Brandon Browner: Solid #2, but struggles against the smaller shiftier WRs.

Seattle:
1. Richard Sherman: Best cornerback in the NFL.
2. Byron Maxwell: Out played Brandon Browner and became the #2 CB on one of the best secondaries in NFL history.

Maxwell's stats from the first 14 weeks of the season:
MaxPFF_original.png

Via PFF:
Back in August I said that there no position group in the NFL had more depth than the Seattle cornerbacks, and the Seahawks have needed every bit of it this season. Injuries and suspensions to Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond thrust Maxwell into a starting role, and he’s been nothing short of spectacular. He’s played all but 9 of the Seahawks defensive snaps since Week 13 and has allowed just one touchdown and a 22.5 QB rating in that time while grabbing four interceptions. While quarterbacks are steering clear of Richard Sherman’s side of the field, they’re finding no relief when they target Maxwell.

Maxwell's play speaks for itself.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that would be the reason the Seahawks are not mentioned he will have to prove it while AZ, NE and Giants have established guys.

"established" on other teams. When players swap teams they dont always bring the same production with them.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't mean to lump all Seattle fans together. Just like all fan bases there are a few crazy ones. Just seems on here lately that every topic that comes up some Seattle fan has to say something about how great they are compared to everybody else. I'm sorry but not everything football related has to be about Seattle.

Even before the end of this last season this site had a substantial Seattle fan base. I'm not sure why some of you are so surprised that the site has pretty much been dominated by them since the post season given that they won the SB and did so convincingly. The fans of most other teams went off to do other things in the dead season. It is only the hard core fans still up here except for the Seahawks base which just shouldn't really surprise anyone.

I mean I can guarantee you there will be other threads started by other people that have Seattle fans taking it over and other threads created by our fans that amount to some feeling of disrespect. And as sure as they will happen, they will be followed by surprised and stunned posters asking why there are so many Seahawk fans on the site doing these things.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. Because Seattle is so solid across the board, including safeties, it takes the pressure off the CB's. The article which this entire thread is about said best CB not best defensive backfield.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to make it perfectly clear, I have not said, nor am I claiming AZ has the best CB tandem. That remains to be seen.

I was just making the point that certain Seattle fans seem to get all bent out of shape when an article is written about "best in the league" and it doesn't include them. Then comes the east coast bias argument which was mentioned in this thread. If this article had an east coast bias, why include AZ?

I thought winning the Superbowl would put this "no respect" argument to rest, but it seems as if it has only fueled the fire.

Again, not all Seattle fans, just certain ones.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to make it perfectly clear, I have not said, nor am I claiming AZ has the best CB tandem. That remains to be seen.

I was just making the point that certain Seattle fans seem to get all bent out of shape when an article is written about "best in the league" and it doesn't include them. Then comes the east coast bias argument which was mentioned in this thread. If this article had an east coast bias, why include AZ?

I thought winning the Superbowl would put this "no respect" argument to rest, but it seems as if it has only fueled the fire.

Again, not all Seattle fans, just certain ones.
And again, this is only an issue because there isn't anything else to talk about this time of year and it shouldn't be a surprise. I don't know of any fan base up here that hasn't shown some disdain about some implied disrespect at some point.

Honestly, I didn't give a shit who didn't respect Seattle before they won the SB. Now I really really couldn't care less.

Who the best tandem is? Don't know, haven't EVER spent one cycle of brain time on it, and wouldn't care who others think. Sub units of teams don't win championships, whole teams do. These exercises in breaking out sub sets of people to bolster your teams status are just what people do when there isn't actually football on the field to talk about.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Because Seattle is so solid across the board, including safeties, it takes the pressure off the CB's. The article which this entire thread is about said best CB not best defensive backfield.

And the CB play in Seattle takes a lot of pressure off the safeties. If not for great outside coverage, they would play 2-high like everyone else instead of only having one deep safety and the other practically playing LB. This is not yoyr typical defense, the outside coverage allows the safeties to roam and make plays, they rarely sit over the top and protect the corners.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the CB play in Seattle takes a lot of pressure off the safeties. If not for great outside coverage, they would play 2-high like everyone else instead of only having one deep safety and the other practically playing LB.

Dude, this is a whiny-ass thread. You guys have an incredible team and the secondary played a big role in your success. That doesn't mean that other teams didn't or do not currently have better CB tandems.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And again, this is only an issue because there isn't anything else to talk about this time of year and it shouldn't be a surprise. I don't know of any fan base up here that hasn't shown some disdain about some implied disrespect at some point.

Honestly, I didn't give a shit who didn't respect Seattle before they won the SB. Now I really really couldn't care less.

Who the best tandem is? Don't know, haven't EVER spent one cycle of brain time on it, and wouldn't care who others think. Sub units of teams don't win championships, whole teams do. These exercises in breaking out sub sets of people to bolster your teams status are just what people do when there isn't actually football on the field to talk about.

:agree: Finding subjects to talk about is tough. At least we have free agency now and the draft coming up. After that, we are going to have a few "dead" months. Can't wait to see what those threads are about.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Established guys? Really?

Arizona:
1. Patrick Peterson: Yes, proven
2. Antonio Cromartie: There is a reason he only signed a 1 year deal, because his play in 2013 was miserable at best due to an injury.

Giants:
1. DRC: Earned himself the nickname "Don't really care" with the Eagles due to his poor play. Now that he has his big pay check, you really think he is going to give 100% effort?
2. Walter Thurmond: Played well as a nickel corner for the Seahawks and played well as the #2 CB when Browner went down. His downside is that he has injury concerns that go back to college, this guy is made of glass.

New England
1. Darrelle Revis: Obvious commodity.
2. Brandon Browner: Solid #2, but struggles against the smaller shiftier WRs.

Seattle:
1. Richard Sherman: Best cornerback in the NFL.
2. Byron Maxwell: Out played Brandon Browner and became the #2 CB on one of the best secondaries in NFL history.

Maxwell's stats from the first 14 weeks of the season:
MaxPFF_original.png

Via PFF:

Maxwell's play speaks for itself.

Browner isn't the two. He's likely not even the three.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browner isn't the two. He's likely not even the three.

I like Dennard a lot. But Browners signing implies that BB is not as confident in the existing depth as you are.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is splitting peas. Best Cb's vs. Best secondary... Who cares. CB's are only as good as their surrounding cast. You need good safety help. And Secondaries are only as good as their pass rush. While we can debate all the nuances of each teams' strengths I think at least we can at least all agree that Seattle's all around defense last year was the best complete defense of all time.

:ss: