• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona Diamondbacks Ongoing Thread

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander has a perfect game through 6!

81267117.jpg

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Piecoro's Diamondbacks blog

Instructional league roundup: Brandon Drury, Jose Munoz, Stryker Trahan & more

Some notes from instructional league, where many of the Diamondbacks’ better young prospects have been working out and playing games for the past few weeks. The league ends on Friday.

Brandon Drury

*Being shipped to the Diamondbacks in January as part of the Justin Upton trade was shocking for third baseman Brandon Drury, who had known nothing other than life with the Atlanta Braves since they drafted him out of high school in 2010. But it also was exciting – and it gave him a chance at a fresh start.

“The change of scenery,” he said, “was huge for me.”

Drury was coming off a rough season in the South Atlantic League in which he hit just .229 with six homers and saw his stock drop as a prospect. But the Diamondbacks still saw upside in him, and in his second go-around at the Low-A level, he went about validating their belief in him.

Drury hit .302 with a .362 on-base in Low-A South Bend, collecting 51 doubles, four triples and 15 homers.

“I think I was just more mature,” Drury said. “I had a better approach. I stuck with it. I was the same player but just a little bit smarter I think, a little more disciplined at the plate and had a better approach this year, for sure.”

He’s continued to perform well in instructional league, where he’s been one of the Diamondbacks’ better all-around position players, showing steady improvement defensively.

“He’s seeing the game well, his vision defensively,” Diamondbacks farm director Mike Bell said. “He knows the speed of the runner and the pace of the ball. He’s been able to slow the game down really well.”

And Bell sees room for growth for Drury as a hitter, particularly in the power department.

“He’s still developing into who and what he’s going to be,” Bell said. “He’s patient at the plate. He stays through the middle of the field real good and I think that lends itself to a higher-average type guy. The strength is there and I think the power is going to come.”

The numbers don’t show up in Drury’s stat line, but also he hit well in the playoffs for South Bend, delivering several key hits for the Silver Hawks, including a home run that impressed Bell.

“One was with runners on second and third, and it was a tie game, I believe, at the time,” Bell said. “A base was open and they were trying to pitch around him. He was sitting on a hanger and he got it. That’s very difficult. That’s extremely advanced for a young guy.”

Jose Munoz

In his first full year in the Diamondbacks organization, shortstop Jose Munoz swung the bat much better in rookie-level Missoula than he did last year in the Arizona League, raising his slugging percentage by more than 100 points. The biggest difference?

“My approach got a lot better,” Munoz said. “I was actually going up there with a plan as opposed to last year. Last year, I felt like I had to produce because of where I was drafted. Everything was building up in my head. This year, I was more relaxed and tried not to do too much. It turned out that when I tried not doing too much, that’s when it paid off.”

Munoz was the organization’s second-round selection in 2012, a right-handed hitter with good offensive potential in his sturdy, 6-foot-3 frame. In 56 games with Missoula, he hit .263 with a .342 on-base and .448 slugging. He said he realizes now how much he had to learn about the game after coming out of high school.

“I definitely got a lot smarter than I was last year,” he said. “I thought I knew certain things about the game, but I really didn’t know as much as I thought. There’s still a lot to learn.”

After a slow first week of the season, Munoz took off in July, a month in which he hit .360 and connected for five of his six home runs on the season. He gives Bell credit for noticing a change in where he held his hands in his stance.

“I came back after my injury (herniated disc in his lower back) with my hands higher,” Munoz said. “He asked me why I did that and so I just dropped it down to where they used to be. From there, it just kind of clicked. I started seeing the ball a lot better.”

Bell was impressed with more than just Munoz’s numbers.

“He played with a great deal of energy, the way he ran the bases, the way he carried himself on the field,” Bell asid. “He was able to hold on to it for most of the year and since he’s been here, he’s been outstanding.”

Munoz played shortstop at Missoula, but he’s been seeing time at third base in instructional league. It could end up being his future home, given his build and the organization’s depth at shortstop.

“Whatever makes me more valuable to the team, I’ll play whatever position,” he said. “It doesn’t matter to me.”

Seth Simmons

Somehow, right-hander Seth Simmons has managed to stay under the radar in the Diamondbacks organization despite posting ridiculous strikeout numbers at every stop. But it sounds like he’s starting to win over some believers.

“It’s 12.5 strikeouts per nine,” Bell said. “Low enough walk totals. The hits-to-innings is ridiculous. And he’s not doing it with a trick pitch. He comes right at you with a good (low-90s) fastball and a good sinker. He challenges hitters and he’s got a plus slider.”

Said pitching coordinator Mel Stottlemyre Jr.: “He just does it quietly. He’s just a good, serviceable pitcher who’s going to probably keep pushing and find his way to the big leagues some day.”

Simmons, who is listed at 5-foot-9, was a 40th-round pick out of East Carolina in 2011. He posted a 2.44 ERA in 73 2/3 innings, striking out 106, this year for High-A Visalia.

Geordy Parra

Right-hander Geordy Parra is best known as being the younger brother of Diamondbacks outfielder Gerardo Parra. But he’s taken enormous strides this year in making a name for himself. And, wouldn’t you know it, it’s his strong arm that has him on the prospect map.

When the year began, Parra, 20, was sort of viewed as a generic, strike-throwing right-hander. In spring training, his fastball was topping out in the upper-80s. But by the end of the summer, he had taken huge leaps forward, and this week in instructional league his fastball was sitting in the mid-90s.

“I can’t tell you what it was that made it click, but I can remember in extended (spring training) we made an attempt to get his arm kind of out away from his head,” Stottlemyre said. “It was almost to a point where he had it sort of sucked in and guarded. We started to slowly move it out and got him on a long-toss program. Our pitching coaches did a great job.”

Once the fastball started developing, Stottlemyre went about teaching him a split-finger grip. It didn’t take him long to pick up the pitch, and now he’s viewed as a prospect with real promise. His numbers back that up: In 27 innings between Missoula and South Bend, Parra had a 0.33 ERA with 39 strikeouts and 12 walks.

“He’s been up to 99 mph,” Stottlemyre said. “The last time out he was 94-97 mph with a good split and I saw some of his better curveballs I’ve ever seen him throw. He’s (20) years old with fastball command. He’s a guy.”

Stryker Trahan

Nobody’s guaranteeing that Stryker Trahan is going to develop into a plus defensive catcher, but people in the organization sound more encouraged than ever that he’ll be able to stick at the position. Bell said multiple coaches have commented on the improvement Trahan made defensively from this time last year.

“(Coach Bill Plummer) said he looks like a different guy behind the plate,” Bell said. “I credit Stryker, No. 1. He wants to be a great catcher. He works at it. He’s able to have a bad game catching, a bad few innings, and then put it behind him and move on from it. I believe he’s pretty tough mentally in that regard.

“And also I think spending the year with (Missoula manager) Robby Hammock, he benefitted a great deal from that. I know Robby stayed on him. Robby raved about him at the end of the year.”

Trahan’s size has raised concerns from some scouts who wonder if he’ll eventually become too big to move around adequately behind the plate. Bell said it’s something the team will monitor.

“We’ll see where his body goes naturally,” Bell said. “He’s a big person. Whatever he’s meant to be, we want him to be that, and here are some ideas that will help you be that,” he said. “He may carry more weight than most people. His wrist is as big as my knee; he’s going to carry more weight. But he works at it and works hard. And I go back to the fact that he wants to be a great catcher.”

Trahan wasn’t a monster offensively, but he posted decent numbers, hitting .254 with a .328 on-base and .462 slugging.

The only surprise here for me is Parra. After last year, he was looked at nothing more than minor league filler or fodder.

Drury, Munoz, & Trahan all are showing they are improving have a legitimate shot at being everyday big league players.

AZ Sun

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kenley Jansen is the worst closer of all time. :nod:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care for any of the remaining teams. I think I dislike the Tigers the least of the four so I'll root for them. As long as LA doesn't win.

Tigers are my AL team. Ive been to Comerica park like 5 times. I have family in Michigan.. actually all over the Midwest.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my god. If Gerardo's brother can actually make the roster someday I'll lose my mind. Having two Parra's would be fucking magnificent. I'm rooting for him.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope STL beats them in 7. Just to give Doyer fans some hope and then crush it. Walk off style. :lol:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope STL beats them in 7. Just to give Doyer fans some hope and then crush it. Walk off style. :lol:

I feel like that would be like an ASU fan saying that they would hope that AZ would lose in the Final Four on a buzzer beater just to give AZ fans some hope and then crush it.

But the funny part about that is that the ASU fans are at home watching it on TV, while AZ is in the Final Four. So really, the joke's on them. :laugh3:

DweeberAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 928.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I feel like that would be like an ASU fan saying that they would hope that AZ would lose in the Final Four on a buzzer beater just to give AZ fans some hope and then crush it.

But the funny part about that is that the ASU fans are at home watching it on TV, while AZ is in the Final Four. So really, the joke's on them. :laugh3:

Actually, this is more like someone who wants STL to beat LA so that the Dodgers don't make it to the WS.

Nothing wrong with rooting against a team. People root against the Yankee's all the time. I'd rather see STL take it in 3.

Beat LA!
Whom ever is playing them.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only difference is my team isn't anything close to ASU. We actually have a WS title under our belts a lot more recently than the Doyers do and we've had more success in the MLB than LA has since entering in 1998. Im sure you'd root against AZ too if the tables were turned... nothing wrong with that.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, kind of.

First, let me say this. I think it's completely debatable that the DBacks have had more success. I think that there are certainly indicators that it's true and certainly indicators otherwise. AZ does have the WS. And they do have one more division title. But, both teams have been to 5 postseasons, the Dodgers are two postseason wins behind the DBacks as it stands right now. But the Dodgers have the head to head series lead by a long shot, and while the DBacks have only been above .500 in half of their 16 seasons, the Dodgers have had seasons above 500 in 13 of those 16. So I wouldn't necessarily say that they are the better franchise since 1998. The DBacks are not even above .500 in their franchise's overall winning percentage. It's pretty tough to argue that they have had more success just because they won a WS, when they are not even above .500 as a franchise, when compared to a team that is - relatively speaking - way over .500 over the same span. I understand that the WS is the ultimate goal, but you can't discount that there are far more indicators of success than a WS and one more West title. Those are big, but they are the only things that AZ has over the Dodgers, the head to head, overall record, and winning seasons are all heavily in the Dodgers favor. I would say that the Dodgers have had more consistent success, while the DBacks have had a higher peak of success. They are different indicators.

As far as saying that the DBacks are not ASU basketball, I agree, I jumped the gun on a bad analogy, my apologies. And as it relates to the conversation of success, substitute ASU basketball with Maryland basketball. Is Maryland more successful than AZ just because they have had a more recent title? Or maybe a better example would be Florida. Is Florida a more successful program in history because they have more titles than AZ all-time? Obviously not. I think that it's a combination of many factors. Titles are certainly one, but not the end-all-be-all. I think that AZ is more successful because they have had more sustained success, even if Florida has had a higher peak of success. I just don't think that it's black and white.

And furthermore, I completely disagree about the tables being turned. This is what I don't get. I don't root against any team. If the Dodgers aren't in it, I root for an underdog, a team that I have't seen win it in a while, because as a bigger baseball fan than even a Dodger fan, I love variation. I don't want Boston or St Louis, because they have already won, and won very recently. And specifically regarding the Diamondbacks? I was at game 7 in 2001 outside the stadium where they closed the streets and had the big screens up, rooting for AZ, even though they are in the same division, and even though they are rivals. I didn't root against the Yanks, I rooted for the Dbacks because they hadn't won before. I don't want to see the same teams win over and over. That's why I hate the NBA.

The Dodgers haven't won since 1988, hell they haven't even made it to the WS since then. Even if I wasn't a Dodgers fan, I would want to see the Tigers and Dodgers go, and I'd be happy with whomever won.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, kind of.

First, let me say this. I think it's completely debatable that the DBacks have had more success. I think that there are certainly indicators that it's true and certainly indicators otherwise. AZ does have the WS. And they do have one more division title. But, both teams have been to 5 postseasons, the Dodgers are two postseason wins behind the DBacks as it stands right now. But the Dodgers have the head to head series lead by a long shot, and while the DBacks have only been above .500 in half of their 16 seasons, the Dodgers have had seasons above 500 in 13 of those 16. So I wouldn't necessarily say that they are the better franchise since 1998. The DBacks are not even above .500 in their franchise's overall winning percentage. It's pretty tough to argue that they have had more success just because they won a WS, when they are not even above .500 as a franchise, when compared to a team that is - relatively speaking - way over .500 over the same span. I understand that the WS is the ultimate goal, but you can't discount that there are far more indicators of success than a WS and one more West title. Those are big, but they are the only things that AZ has over the Dodgers, the head to head, overall record, and winning seasons are all heavily in the Dodgers favor. I would say that the Dodgers have had more consistent success, while the DBacks have had a higher peak of success. They are different indicators.

As far as saying that the DBacks are not ASU basketball, I agree, I jumped the gun on a bad analogy, my apologies. And as it relates to the conversation of success, substitute ASU basketball with Maryland basketball. Is Maryland more successful than AZ just because they have had a more recent title? Or maybe a better example would be Florida. Is Florida a more successful program in history because they have more titles than AZ all-time? Obviously not. I think that it's a combination of many factors. Titles are certainly one, but not the end-all-be-all. I think that AZ is more successful because they have had more sustained success, even if Florida has had a higher peak of success. I just don't think that it's black and white.

And furthermore, I completely disagree about the tables being turned. This is what I don't get. I don't root against any team. If the Dodgers aren't in it, I root for an underdog, a team that I have't seen win it in a while, because as a bigger baseball fan than even a Dodger fan, I love variation. I don't want Boston or St Louis, because they have already won, and won very recently. And specifically regarding the Diamondbacks? I was at game 7 in 2001 outside the stadium where they closed the streets and had the big screens up, rooting for AZ, even though they are in the same division, and even though they are rivals. I didn't root against the Yanks, I rooted for the Dbacks because they hadn't won before. I don't want to see the same teams win over and over. That's why I hate the NBA.

The Dodgers haven't won since 1988, hell they haven't even made it to the WS since then. Even if I wasn't a Dodgers fan, I would want to see the Tigers and Dodgers go, and I'd be happy with whomever won.

My reply was basically in regard to you comparing us to ASU basketball. Nothing more since you can't even compare the two programs... while you could argue either way that the Dbacks have had just as much or slightly more success than the Doyers since 1998. I don't consider being above.500 to be successful though... division titles and WS titles are the best measuring sticks. YOU WENT WAY TOO FUCKING FAR CTP... don't associate us with those Scum Devils. EVER. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My reply was basically in regard to you comparing us to ASU basketball. Nothing more since you can't even compare the two programs... while you could argue either way that the Dbacks have had just as much or slightly more success than the Doyers since 1998. I don't consider being above.500 to be successful though... division titles and WS titles are the best measuring sticks. YOU WENT WAY TOO FUCKING FAR CTP... don't associate us with those Scum Devils. EVER. :lol:

I did go too far with ASU, my bad. But then, Florida must have a better program than AZ since they have more titles.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did go too far with ASU, my bad. But then, Florida must have a better program than AZ since they have more titles.

College Basketball and the MLB are so hard to compare. Only reason I'm using the "more recent title" is because we've only been around since 98'. I have nothing else to base it off of.

nogicat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CTP
ASU man really?

I thought we were friends...:wtf2: