• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona Diamondbacks Ongoing Thread

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a disappointing 2014 campaign I think we gotta chance of bouncing back in 2015 as long as we stay healthy. Tomas and Hellickson are on board and Didi is gone. I expect a very busy offseason for Arizona.

Post any rumors, trades, news, etc. that is Diamondback related in here. Go Dbacks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we use this thread to make signing/trade predictions as well?

Prediction:
-Cahill & Skaggs are traded for Trumbo & B-level SP
-Sipp, Bell, & Thatcher are all traded.
-Miley traded for RP & B+ level prospects
-Pollock is traded for RP & 2 B+ level prospects
-Chavez & Nieves are not resigned.
-Putz retires
-Hudson announces when he returns in late 2014 that he wants to be a closer.
-Parra & Ziegler are signed to 4 year extensions(1 year arb & 3 years of FA)

-KT, Hall, & Kendricks go "ALL IN" & winning the bidding for Masahiro Tanaka

Opening day rotation 2014: Corbin, Tanaka, Bradley, McCarthy, & Delgado

Opening day lineup 2014:
-Eaton
-Prado
-GoldIWasRobbedofMyMVPschmidt
-Trumbo
-Hill
-Montero
-Parra
-Didi

Bench: Ross, Pennington, Owings, Tuffy, & Davidson.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we use this thread to make signing/trade predictions as well?

Prediction:
-Cahill & Skaggs are traded for Trumbo & B-level SP
-Sipp, Bell, & Thatcher are all traded.
-Miley traded for RP & B+ level prospects
-Pollock is traded for RP & 2 B+ level prospects
-Chavez & Nieves are not resigned.
-Putz retires
-Hudson announces when he returns in late 2014 that he wants to be a closer.
-Parra & Ziegler are signed to 4 year extensions(1 year arb & 3 years of FA)

-KT, Hall, & Kendricks go "ALL IN" & winning the bidding for Masahiro Tanaka

Opening day rotation 2014: Corbin, Tanaka, Bradley, McCarthy, & Delgado

Opening day lineup 2014:
-Eaton
-Prado
-GoldIWasRobbedofMyMVPschmidt
-Trumbo
-Hill
-Montero
-Parra
-Didi

Bench: Ross, Pennington, Owings, Tuffy, & Davidson.

Of course.
Nice predictions... I'd love for all of this to happen, but remember we're dealing with KT here and he has no fucking clue on how to build a playoff team. If we had a competent GM then this is along the lines of what they'd probably try to get done. I really want Tankana. Adding him and Bradley to the rotation next year would be nice... I'm hoping McCarthy can bounce back because he's shown flashes of his Oakland self.

It's time to get the payroll over $100 mil if they want to be taken seriously. (and they need to not spend it like jackasses)

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love all of those predictions, Mike. It's time for this team to go "all in". If they want to compete with the Dodgers, then they need to be smart and aggressive. I think KT can handle the aggressive part, it's the smart part that I'm worried about. No more dumb, unnecessary signings.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our payroll will be around 84 mil once the offseason starts... this is off the top of my head so correct me if I'm wrong. I don't see the management breaking the 100 mil mark this offseason so we probably have roughly 10-12 mil. to work with... unless we dump some salary in a trade or something which is very possible.
I just want one of McCarthy/Cahill to go. No way we can have a rotation with both of them in it again.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Sting. You can't keep both. Whichever one stays can't be any better than your #4 next year. McCarthy had the worst year of his career this year, and Cahill is barely hanging on. Perhaps Cahill should stay. IF you keep him, he's got to be at the very back of the rotation.

I'd get rid of both. Keep Corbin, Miley, bring up Archie Bradley, and go out and get another starter. At the very end should probably be Cahill.

If you could go out and get an ace, have Corbin as your #2, see if Bradley can be #3 with Miley at #4, and let Cahill be #5.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
****uhs! When College Basketball season? And I am a little excited for NBA.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mobile BayBears' Nick Ahmed wins Gold Glove as best fielding shortstop in minor league baseball

The forgotten man in the Upton trade. Although he had a poor season at the plate in his first year in AA, second full season in pro ball, he still is a good asset. If a good deal for either Didi or Owings comes along, having a great fielding SS waiting in the wings would make it easier to pull the trigger. Bad news is that he will already be 24 when the 2014 season rolls around.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dbacks sit at $89.75 mil in payroll for 2014 before arbitration & re-signings.

Source

That number includes Ziegler, Parra, Thatcher, & Sipp 2013 salaries but not their 2014 arb salary increases. It also includes league minimum salaries($500K estimate) for Miley, Corbin, Eaton, Didi, & Pollock. That number also doesn't include any salary for first year arb players Hudson, Reynolds, & Collmenter.

With all the numbers factored in and guessing at arbitration increases, the Dbacks could easily be sitting at $95 mil.

I expect the Dbacks 2014 opening day payroll to only be in the $95 mil range. Just looking at the numbers, one can conclude there won't be many changes to the roster by opening day.

But if KT does get serious about adding a bat & fixing the BP, here are the likely salaries to get moved:

-Cahill $7.9mil(2014) $12.2(15) 16-17 club option
-McCarthy $10.25
-Pennington $3.25

I can only see one of either Cahill or McCarthy getting moved. But one must get moved if KT is going to improve this roster. Cahill likely has the more value because of the 4 years of team control. Pennington is expendable if you plan to keep Owings & Davidson on the 25 man roster.

And according to KT(Link), Matt Stites and Jake Barrett are both likely to have roles in the BP in 2014. And he plans on trying to find a LHP for the BP. So that means that Sipp & Thatcher will likely be moved. That could save another $4-5 mil. It's doubtful KT will find takers on Bell or Putz if they aren't part of a bigger deal.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dbacks sit at $89.75 mil in payroll for 2014 before arbitration & re-signings.

Source

That number includes Ziegler, Parra, Thatcher, & Sipp 2013 salaries but not their 2014 arb salary increases. It also includes league minimum salaries($500K estimate) for Miley, Corbin, Eaton, Didi, & Pollock. That number also doesn't include any salary for first year arb players Hudson, Reynolds, & Collmenter.

With all the numbers factored in and guessing at arbitration increases, the Dbacks could easily be sitting at $95 mil.

I expect the Dbacks 2014 opening day payroll to only be in the $95 mil range. Just looking at the numbers, one can conclude there won't be many changes to the roster by opening day.

But if KT does get serious about adding a bat & fixing the BP, here are the likely salaries to get moved:

-Cahill $7.9mil(2014) $12.2(15) 16-17 club option
-McCarthy $10.25
-Pennington $3.25

I can only see one of either Cahill or McCarthy getting moved. But one must get moved if KT is going to improve this roster. Cahill likely has the more value because of the 4 years of team control. Pennington is expendable if you plan to keep Owings & Davidson on the 25 man roster.

And according to KT(Link), Matt Stites and Jake Barrett are both likely to have roles in the BP in 2014. And he plans on trying to find a LHP for the BP. So that means that Sipp & Thatcher will likely be moved. That could save another $4-5 mil. It's doubtful KT will find takers on Bell or Putz if they aren't part of a bigger deal.

In regards to the bullpen, I still think we need to sign a closer but idk how likely that will be with our payroll limitations. I think Hernandez is going to bounce back next year and Ziegler, Collmenter are both solid. Barrett and Stites should add some much needed depth to the pen as well. Hopefully Thatcher doesn't suck. I think it'll improve overall next year. Bell and McCarthy are the two I'd choose to get rid of first.
Cahill isn't a bad no. 5 starter I suppose, but his salary is a bit ridiculous.

This is such a difficult offseason to predict because we can go in so many directions with this team, but I really hope KT finally learns that it's about QUALITY not quantity. (most of the time at least)

I think Pennington is a goner. Didi/Owings will both handle SS duties next year. Davidson closed out the season on a strong note so that's exciting. I hope we don't trade him. Skaggs is probably going to get moved, even though I think it's a horrible time to trade him with how low his stock has dropped recently. It's the KT way to trade players while their value is at an all-time low. :L

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big red dog will have to take his talents elsewhere. Maybe he can join Big Joe Saunders and form a dynamic duo in Baltimore.

Big Joe is in Seattle. What kind of baseball fan doesn't know where the greatest left handed pitcher of all time plays?

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think KT can find takers on Bell and Putz. Teams are way more likely to reach on a reliever with a past that isn't too far in the rearview mirror of success. After all, we took Bell after coming off a complete garbage year in hopes that he'd return to form.

Nice salary breakdown for next year. Makes it clear they aren't going to make too many big splashes in the off-season. That's too bad, because they need to. Fans might check out VERY early if all they have to offer us is a few new stopgap bullpen guys and another middling bat in the lineup.

AZ Sun

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's stop trying to follow the LA-NYY way and stop trying to buy championships. STL is mostly home grown talent and they are arguably the best team in the league. We have lots of minor league depth and ML ready talent. We have a lot of arms in the farm, our only weakness in the farm is power hitting. We need to do a better job at drafting power hitting OFs.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diamondbacks Claim Alex Sanabia

The Diamondbacks have claimed pitcher Alex Sanabia off waivers from the Marlins, according to a team press release. Sanabia, 25, posted a 4.88 ERA with 5.0 K/9 and 4.1 BB/9 in 55 1/3 innings out of the Marlins rotation in 2013. In late May, the Marlins placed Sanabia on the disabled list with a groin injury, and he did not appear again in 2013. He has a 4.15 ERA in parts of three big-league seasons.

Sanabia's is a fly ball pitcher whose fastball typically comes in at around 90 MPH, and he has never posted impressive strikeout rates, so his upside appears to be somewhat limited. Teams typically value pitchers who can start, however, particularly when they aren't yet arbitration-eligible.

He is still young but is nothing spectacular. And a fly ball pitcher to boot.

We can look at this in a few ways:
-He may be converted to a BP arm.
-They see something mechanically wrong with him and think they can tweak his delivery.
-He is farm depth for an impending trade that includes multiple SP(s).

I would go with the first or third option. And I am thinking it's most likely the third option.

Why are the Marlins just giving away players like this? Even if he isn't great, he still has to have some value to a team like the Marlins.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diamondbacks Claim Alex Sanabia

He is still young but is nothing spectacular. And a fly ball pitcher to boot.

We can look at this in a few ways:
-He may be converted to a BP arm.
-They see something mechanically wrong with him and think they can tweak his delivery.
-He is farm depth for an impending trade that includes multiple SP(s).

I would go with the first or third option. And I am thinking it's most likely the third option.

Why are the Marlins just giving away players like this? Even if he isn't great, he still has to have some value to a team like the Marlins.

Going with option 3. Skaggs will probably be gone.