• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona Diamondbacks Ongoing Thread

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chavez already has a offer on the table from the Dbacks. This was about 2 weeks ago. He was waiting to see what moves the Dbacks make before making his decision.

I really like the Reed/Davidson deal for both the long & short term for the Dbacks. Now we just need to to hope Tanaka gets posted & that the last 2 years of Dbacks visits to that region pay off. If 20 teams all bid max, the player gets to choose who he negotiates with. Hopefully he chooses the Dbacks & they just back up the truck for something around 7 years $100 mil. Time to take a risk.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the market like for JJ Putz if the Dbacks want to move him? The way things are going, I don't see him being a part of the team for much longer.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the market like for JJ Putz if the Dbacks want to move him? The way things are going, I don't see him being a part of the team for much longer.

Log jam in the bullpen. He or Hernandez are likely to get traded this season if a guy like stites or Barrett can have a strong start.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine Hernandez has more trade value right now. And trading Putz for anything of worth might take the Dbacks eating about half of his $7 mil salary. I would rather keep Hernandez because he is still young enough that he can turn it around & have future value to the team. Putz's career is just about over.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They announced today that tanaka will be posted for the estimated $20 million as previously believed.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They announced today that tanaka will be posted for the estimated $20 million as previously believed.

They announced the new posting system was agreed upon but I did not see anywhere that says Tanaka will for sure become a free agent. This article actually says that his team may hold onto him for one more year.

With posting agreement, Masahiro Tanaka decision next

I still believe this offseason will be a complete a failure if the D'backs do not acquire a true ace. The only players they could trade for that are number one starters are David Price, Max Scherzer, or maybe Cliff Lee. If they do not sign Tanaka, I hope they do not sign Garza or Santana to be the ace. That would be a joke.

I also do not know what Towers is doing. He has already traded four of the team's top prospects in Skaggs, Eaton, Davidson, and Holmberg. I understand trading them but I cannot believe that all four of them are already gone without the D'backs getting back an ace in return.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think either of them are "aces" but it looks like KT is targeting Ervin Santana and Matt Garza right now. IF you had to choose one or the other which one would you like?

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think either of them are "aces" but it looks like KT is targeting Ervin Santana and Matt Garza right now. IF you had to choose one or the other which one would you like?

I would take Garza, assuming he is healthy. When you compare the careers of Santana versus Garza, Garza has never had an ERA over 3.95 in his 7 years of experience. His career ERA is 3.84, which is not bad, but not great. (By the way, I am eliminating Garza's rookie year when he had an ERA of 5.76, but only pitched 50 innings).

Santana's career ERA is 4.19 in his 9 years of experience. He also has had three years already where his ERA was over 5.00, and one year where it was as bad as 5.76. In fact, in his 9 years so far as a pitcher, he has had an ERA below 4.00 in only four of them. So for over half of his career so far, he has had a high ERA. I also do not think it is a coincidence that the best year of his career ERA-wise came during his contract year.

I would sign Garza if the D'backs do not get Tanaka. However, I would not sign him to be the ace. I would honestly sign Garza, find a way to dump Cahill and McCarthy if possible, and still trade for an ace. I highly doubt that will happen but it would be awesome. I am not banking on Corbin duplicating his 2013 success so even if the team gets Garza, it still needs a true ace.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10:25am: Valverde told Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes that he does not have a deal with the Diamondbacks and has recently switched agents. Formerly with Scott Boras, he is now represented by Praver/Shapiro (Spanish Twitter links).

Was early reported that he signed a minor league deal, but it was false.

MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Last edited by a moderator:

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy decision...you definitely go with Garza over Santana. He's been consistent and is a better pitcher. Santana has had some straight terrible seasons and we don't need that right now. I think you can count on Garza (barring injury). He may not be "ace" material, but he'd undeniably upgrade the rotation in a big way.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chavez is back in the fold. It will be interesting to see if KT goes out & signs another veteran bat for the bench. Right now it is Chavez, Pennington, Gosewisch, & one of Didi/Owings on the bench. I didn't count ross yet because we don't know if he will be ready by the time the season starts.

Diamondbacks To Sign Eric Chavez
By Steve Adams [December 18 at 1:55pm CST]
The Diamondbacks have agreed to terms with third baseman Eric Chavez, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (on Twitter).

Chavez batted .281/.341/.488 with 25 homers in 567 plate appearances over the past two seasons between the Diamondbacks and Yankees. Once considered a defensive wizard at the hot corner, Chavez's glove-work has declined in recent years after a slew of back, shoulder and neck injuries have taken their toll on the veteran's body.

Chavez was also connected to the Yankees and Braves this offseason. In the end, Heyman reports (via Twitter) that he preferred to stay close to his Phoenix home.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we still have Tony Campana? That dude was fun to watch. Made Eaton look like a snail... wouldn't mind him being the "4th" (really the 5th with Prado playing OF on occasion) OF until Ross returns.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night, Mitch Williams said Trumbo's a better all-around hitter than Goldschmidt.

How the fuck does he have a job?

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night, Mitch Williams said Trumbo's a better all-around hitter than Goldschmidt.

How the fuck does he have a job?

He must have been hanging out with Keith Law again! Those two are inseparable!

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said that I believe the offseason will be a complete failure if the D'backs do not end up with a proven ace somehow. Now that more time has gone by, I still feel the same way, but I also think there is something else crucial that needs to happen. The D'backs absolutely have to get rid of Cahill. There is no way around it. Even if you have to eat his contract, he must be off the team before the season starts. I just cannot stand to even look at him pitching at this point.

I could list all the reasons and stats why I want Cahill off the team but I am not going to. I will just say I truly hope that he is no longer on the D'backs when the season starts. In my opinion, he brings the entire pitching staff down.