• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona Diamondbacks Ongoing Thread

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said that I believe the offseason will be a complete failure if the D'backs do not end up with a proven ace somehow. Now that more time has gone by, I still feel the same way, but I also think there is something else crucial that needs to happen. The D'backs absolutely have to get rid of Cahill. There is no way around it. Even if you have to eat his contract, he must be off the team before the season starts. I just cannot stand to even look at him pitching at this point.

I could list all the reasons and stats why I want Cahill off the team but I am not going to. I will just say I truly hope that he is no longer on the D'backs when the season starts. In my opinion, he brings the entire pitching staff down.

If they end up moving anyone, it will be McCarthy. Cahill has some value, as he is still somewhat young, but that ballooning contract is bad. He looked decent to start the season and then tapered off before the injuries. He actually had a nice finish to the end of the season which is ultimately why I would keep him over McCarthy. Mccrapy's contract and poor performance have made him public enemy number one in the rotation. If he had not played so bad last season, it would have likely been him traded over Kennedy. I suspect we will have to eat at least half his contract but that is a small price to pay to avoid having him on the books past next season.

nogicat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is Tanaka is our #1 Target

Lets try and make that happen (although I dont think we will be able to do it).

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pursuing Tanaka is a giant gamble. It is likely going to take 6-7 years @ $100-130 mil. That is a lot of money to commit to a guy that has never pitched in the MLB. If the Dbacks trust their scouting, I would back the brinks truck up & go all in.

The Dbacks have the majority of the lineup set & in place for the next 3 years with Goldy, Miggy, Prado, & Hill all under contract. And they have have control of Trumbo, Pollock, & Didi/Owings till at least then as well. After 2014, they have more than $17 mil coming off the books. If they move Cahill, that will save $12 mil in 2015 as well.

That is more than enough money to have a player @ $16-20 mil a season on the roster. I say take the chance.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanaka has chosen the same agent that represents Kershaw and Greinke, as well as Derek Jeter. In fact, the particular agency he is going with does not represent any player on the diamondbacks. Taking this into account, coupled with the fact that the Dodgers and Yankees can offer virtually any sum of money they want, I do not see how the Diamondbacks are going to compete, which is obviously disappointing.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't see it either...the D-Backs would have to offer significantly more $ than the Yankees or Dodgers. If they offer something in the same ballpark, I think most foreign players will want to play in the NY or LA market. But then again, that's a gross generalization and I know nothing about Tanaka personally...maybe he's different?

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id love Tanaka, but I fear D-Backs will never get him because of the $$$$

I don't think he is as good as Darvish, but hes also 2 years younger than him. Could easily become this teams ace. One spot this team sorely needs with its slew of #3's in McCarthy, Cahill, Miley. Corbin was never really thought of as more than a #3 in rotation either before last season, which could easily be fluke (time till tell)

This is easily a playoff team AT WORST with a number 1, or atleast a high quality #2 (like a Cole Hamels) at the front end of the rotation

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul_Goldschmidt_BearJew.jpg

BACKSfromAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 956.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 months + 1 week to go for our 1st Game!

The D-backs and Dodgers will play two games in Sydney, Australia, a week before the rest of the teams experience Opening Day. Arizona and Los Angeles will play on March 22 at 12 a.m. PT, and again at 6 p.m. PT (which will be March 23 locally in Australia).

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Towers better do something soon. If he fails to get Tanaka or David Price, or another true ace like Cliff Lee, the D'backs ain't gonna be doing anything this year. Having Trevor Cahill and Brandon McCarthy in your rotation is a travesty.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price just signed a 1 year deal with the Rays.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well apparently the D'backs have offered Tanaka a 6 year, 120 million dollar contract. Definitely a great offer from the them. Time will tell if it will be enough.

Nikkan: Clubs Submit Formal Tanaka Offers: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

If the D'backs can afford to offer that, then they definitely should be able sign David Price to an extension if they acquired him somehow. I know he just signed a one year deal with the Rays, but that does not mean for sure that he will not get traded. However, I do not know what the asking price is for Price, but I am sure it is super high.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The asking price for Price begins with Bradley. Which is a non-starter. Look at what Tampa got for Shields last year. Price is even better & will cost much more than what the Royals paid.

As for the Tanaka offer, I can't say that I'm surprised. KT has said that money wasn't going to be an issue with signing him. It's going to come down to where he wants to play. Likely the Dodgers, Yankees, & Cubs matched that number.