• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona Diamondbacks Ongoing Thread

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cahill and McCarthy... What the fuck does Towers see in these guys?

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cahill and McCarthy... What the fuck does Towers see in these guys?

Totally agree. I have said for a long time how much I dislike Cahill especially. That is why since the day Towers traded Jarrod Parker for him, I thought it would turn out to be the worst trade in franchise history. If the D'backs had kept Parker, I think they make the playoffs at least one out of the past two years, if not both years.

At this point, the D'backs need to dump Cahill for anything and cut their losses. Getting rid of him for nothing would be addition by subtraction. He is that bad. He cannot be relied on for anything.

If the D'backs do not acquire a true ace, then the staff should be Corbin, Miley, Delgado, Bradley, and someone else besides Cahill and McCarthy. At least the fans will not have to sit through another Ian Kennedy opening day this coming season.

Obviously the goal would be to get David Price, but since the supposed asking price for him is enormous, it would be really tough to do. Also, Max Scherzer apparently wants to stay in Detroit now so he is probably not a realistic option. There are just not a lot of aces out there available to get. Without one, you basically have no chance to win a world series.

I still say the D'backs should try to get Cliff Lee if they cannot get Price or Scherzer. There is no way it should take Bradley to get it done since Lee is only planning on playing a few more years. I can understand the Rays asking for Bradley because Price is entering his prime and is a proven Cy Young winner, but Lee is already in his mid thirties. Some sort of combination of Owings plus other prospects not named Bradley or one of the current starters besides Corbin should be enough for Lee.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Iglesias is only 23 & throws 92-95. He is BP arm. He looked good when he pitched against the USA in the WBC.

Despaigne will be 27 in April & looks to be more of a back of the rotation SP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be down to add Iglesias after doing some brief research on him. Despaigne just sounds like another Delgado-type, but with less upside.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously though, what are we going to do with our rotation?

Corbin, Miley, Delgado, McCarthy, Cahill & Bradley (eventually)

I really hate this rotation. I think Corbin will be a little more like his second half self next year (hope I'm wrong) and I'm not a fan of Miley, Cahill or McCarthy at all. Corbin and Delgado are the only ones I like long term and they both seem like number 3-4 starters on a WS type team.

Hate to say it, but maybe... just maybe trading for Price could be a good move. Even if it means giving up Bradley. Since we were willing to offer Tanaka 6 years/ 120 million, I'm sure we'd have no problem extending Price.

David Price is still just 28 years old... so we'd get the last few years of his prime and some solid years after that in his early 30's. It's not really mortgaging the future if he's going to be apart of it for the next 5-6 years. Again, I'd only do this if we were 100 percent confident we could extend him.

Price, Corbin, Delgado, Shipley, Chafin rotation of the future? Yessir.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our bullpen is actually not going to be that bad next year.

Reed, Ziegler, Putz, Hernandez, Thatcher, Collmenter, Harris, Reynolds plus Stites and Barrett waiting in the wings. Pretty deep. I know I'm probably missing someone else too.

I'm expecting Hernandez to have a huge bounce-back year. His numbers after getting recalled from Reno were pretty spectacular. I hope Putz can adjust to a 7th inning role and stay healthy.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Bradley looks like Nolan Ryan in his prime during spring training, the earliest I would expect to see him in the rotation would be mid June. And even then it would take an an injury or multiple injuries or just complete ineptitude by multiple SP(s) for him to be called up.

Giving up Bradley when he is within a few months of being in the rotation would be catastrophic mistake. Big market teams can take the money hit, the Dbacks cannot. Six years of control for whom many think will be a future ace is about at valuable as it gets in baseball. That is 3 years at "slave" wages plus another 3 years at below market value. Plus if you can't sign him to a long term deal, you will get top of the line prospects back in return for him.

I would love David Price in a Dbacks uniform, but not at the the cost of Bradley. If they would take Shipley, Owings & others, I would do the deal in a heartbeat.

I don't think the rotation was the biggest problem last season. The BP & lineup outside of Godly was the reason we were .500 again.

Reynolds likely won't be back till after the allstar break & I hear that the Dbacks are trying to ship Putz out along with some cash. The 7 man BP will likely be Reed, Hernandez, Harris, Ziegler, Hatcher, Collmenter, & one of Stites or Barrett.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me, I really, really, REALLY don't want to trade Bradley and if there's any other package of prospects we could offer to land Price then I'd be ecstatic... but I just don't see that being a possibility. I just really dislike this rotation. Something has to be done about it. Not sure what, though.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just feel like the pieces are there this year for this team to be special. We're just missing an ace. Kind of a big deal... ya know.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also need Miggy to actually hit a baseball this season too.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with Corbin and Miley. I'd be fine with replacing Cahill, but the reality is there isn't enough quality out there to do that. I think Cahill is a decent enough back-end guy. McCarthy is terrible and Delgado wasn't good enough to get excited about. So the 4th and 5th spots really need to be upgraded. Be nice to make Cahill the #5 he would be on a great rotation.

AZ Sun

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our lineup should be very good this year and defensively we are good on most spots on the diamond. The pitching is the biggest question as usual, bullpen should be better but our rotation is a huge hole. Cahill has #2 potential, he was an All Star in Oakland but has been very inconsistent in AZ. Maybe a new pitching coach and help from Dave Duncan will help him out along with the others. I see another 81-81 season unless the pitchers live up to their potentials.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently A.J. Burnett has decided to pitch this year and is willing to play somewhere other than Pittsburgh.

A.J. Burnett Will Pitch In 2014, Test Open Market: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

If the D'backs cannot get anyone through trades, I would give him a one year deal for whatever he wants. It is only one year and they can afford it. He would be a far better option than Cahill and McCarthy.

New rotation could be Corbin, Burnett, Miley, Delgado, Bradley.

I would still rather acquire an ace though, but Burnett is not a bad option, especially if he replaces Cahill and/or McCarthy's spots.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one that missed this back in December?

[YOUTUBE]hNx9lrmsg3Y#t=43[/YOUTUBE]

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is that Miley's fat ass & long hair pitching next to him?

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-backs taking another look at remaining free agents « Inside the D-backs

Ugh when I see that sentence about Cahill and McCarthy being part of the rotation I cringe.

What has Towers done this offseason so far? He has traded away several of the D'backs top young talents without getting a top flight starter in return. Skaggs, Eaton, Davidson, and Holmberg were all traded and Trumbo and Addison Reed were what they got in return.

If you were going to trade all of those players, why not just combine all four of them and trade for David Price? I would even throw in Owings in that mix if it means getting Price. Does anybody think that the Rays would have refused a package of Skaggs, Eaton, Davidson, Holmberg, and Owings for Price? I think they would have immediately jumped at that. Who would you rather have, Trumbo and Reed or David Price? I am taking Price all the way. And obviously the D'backs can afford to extend him seeing as they were willing to pay 140 million for six years of Tanaka (120 million plus the 20 million posting fee).

Kevin Towers failure to land an ace while trading away so many young players for non all-stars is sad. Now this article is saying the team is looking again at what is left on the free agent market. Towers is looking really bad right now in my opinion. He has not made one big free agent or major trade splash since he has been here. He has just given away so many assets. Jarrod Parker for Trevor Cahill is still the worst trade in franchise history.