• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona Diamondbacks Ongoing Thread

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just want to say that my prediction for the offseason is starting to take shape.

Can we use this thread to make signing/trade predictions as well?

Prediction:
-Cahill & Skaggs are traded for Trumbo & B-level SP (About to happen)
-Sipp, Bell, & Thatcher are all traded. (Sipp & Bell already gone.)
-Miley traded for RP & B+ level prospects (This one has to wait for the SP trades/signings to happen)
-Pollock is traded for RP & 2 B+ level prospects (Waiting on the Trumbo trade then will get traded.)
-Chavez & Nieves are not resigned. (Nieves gone & Chavez in limbo)
-Putz retires (probably wrong on this one)
-Hudson announces when he returns in late 2014 that he wants to be a closer. (Not with the team at the moment but if he makes a recovery, he will start in the BP)
-Parra & Ziegler are signed to 4 year extensions(1 year arb & 3 years of FA)(Unknown as of yet)

-KT, Hall, & Kendricks go "ALL IN" & winning the bidding for Masahiro Tanaka (With the new posting system this is a real possibility)

Opening day rotation 2014: Corbin, Tanaka, Bradley, McCarthy, & Delgado

Opening day lineup 2014:
-Eaton
-Prado
-GoldIWasRobbedofMyMVPschmidt
-Trumbo
-Hill
-Montero
-Parra
-Didi

Bench: Ross, Pennington, Owings, Tuffy, & Davidson.

Rotation & Lineup are both on track to match what I predicted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-Backs Determined To Leave Orlando With Choo Or Trumbo

9:31am: One executive that spoke with the Diamondbacks came away with the impression that Arizona is getting Choo, tweets Andy Martino of the New York Daily News.
9:25am: Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports (via Twitter) that one potential Trumbo package that has been discussed would send both Cahill and Skaggs to the Angels, which would seem to be a tremendous haul for the right-handed slugger.
9:22am: The Diamondbacks are "determined" to leave the Winter Meetings with Shin-Soo Choo or Mark Trumbo, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (on Twitter). According to Sherman, Choo's asking price is said to be in the range of Carl Crawford's seven-year, $142MM contract, and the Rangers remain in the mix. One thing working in Arizona's favor in regards to Choo is that the outfielder currently resides in Buckeye, Ariz., tweets MLB.com's Steve Gilbert.
The Diamondbacks emerged as players for Choo yesterday and are said to be involved in trade talks for Trumbo as well. Reportedly, names like Tyler Skaggs and Trevor Cahill have been discussed with the Angels in talks for Trumbo, who hit 34 homers last season but is seen as a below-average defender in the outfield and comes with OBP issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo or Trumbo is like apples or oranges. Could you be considering two more opposite players?

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get trading both Skaggs AND Cahill for just Trumbo

and I like Trumbo, but WTF

now im seeing Adam Eaton would go to White Sox as part of a 3 team deal

wtf is going on here. KT and Amaro duking it out for worst GM of all time?

fucking pathetic

on another note, theres no way Archie Bradley is in the dbacks rotation on opening day. If anything he won't get called up till that precious May date so Dbacks control him longer

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fucking pathetic

on another note, theres no way Archie Bradley is in the dbacks rotation on opening day. If anything he won't get called up till that precious May date so Dbacks control him longer

Would they be willing to take McCarthy?!?! He is an exceptional "tweeter" and has been working on his reflexes this offseason!

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fucking pathetic

It is all part of a master strategy that is so far above our heads, it would be a waste of our times to even comprehend! Kevin towers has never stripped an organization of its potential future...

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a 3 team trade now. With AZ getting Trumbo & a good prospect from both teams, CHIW getting eaton, & LAA getting Skaggs & Santiago.

This is a much better deal than originally advertised.

D-Backs, ChiSox, Angels Optimistic About Three-Team Deal

By Steve Adams [December 10, 2013 at 12:10pm CST]
12:10pm: USA Today's Bob Nightengale reports that the three teams are optimistic about their chances of finalizing the trade (Twitter link). Meanwhile, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic agrees with Gilbert's report from below, noting that Arizona would receive one prospect from the Angels and one from the Sox (also on Twitter).

11:38am: MLB.com's Steve Gilbert tweets that Arizona would receive a pair of good prospects in addition to Trumbo.

11:27am: Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago (via Twitter) hears that the talks are definitely ongoing but are still in the preliminary phases. The three sides are making some progress but a deal isn't close at this time, Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register agrees (on Twitter).

11:02am: The Angels tried to land Santiago from the White Sox in talks for Howie Kendrick, tweets Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times, but they're now focused on getting him as part of this three-team deal.

10:50am: ESPN's Keith Law reports (via Twitter) that the Mark Trumbo talks between the Diamondbacks and Angels have expanded to include the White Sox, with a potential framework sending Adam Eaton to Chicago and Hector Santiago and Tyler Skaggs to the Angels.

Parting with Skaggs and Eaton would be a steep price to pay in order to play Trumbo out of position at a corner outfield spot, but reports have indicated that the D-Backs are "determined" to leave Orlando with either Trumbo or Shin-Soo Choo in tow, and the financial commitment required to add Choo would be significant. Adding Skaggs and Santiago would be a tremendous win for Angels GM Jerry Dipoto, who has been in the market for controllable young starters for months.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Skaggs and Eaton seems like a bit much, but I'm fine with it as long as the prospects that we receive in addition to Trumbo are good.

Pollock can provide similar production to Eaton (if not better).

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pollock is the better player at this point in their careers. Pollock is a better defender & has more pop in his bat. Eaton never had the chance to get 100% healthy & get back into a groove. And for being a base stealer, he didn't attempt many SB in 2013. That can't be blamed on his injury.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like Trumbo's defense (especially in the outfield), but he should definitely provide Goldy with some protection in the batting order. He could hit 40+ homeruns playing at Chase Field.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first glance, you could say we sold low on Skaggs & Eaton.

I don't think Skaggs was as highly regarded after last season around MLB as we would like to believe. If that wasn't the case, then we would have had no trouble getting back an SP like SMjadkdasa with him as the centerpiece. He had a noticeable 2-3 mph drop in his FB & had trouble locating his CB for strikes. He also needs a third pitch. He is still young and can correct all these things, but I dont see him being anything more than a low end #2 or a #3 SP.

For Eaton, I think it is a case that Pollock is just a better player at this point. That makes him the odd man out.

But adding a true power hitter like Trumbo, with 3 years, is definitely a good thing. He might not hit for avg or have a high obp, but man can he crush. And that was something that was sorely missing from the Dbacks in 2013. His defense in LF can be improved with a full offseason a the position.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually hate it when the Dbacks trade away young prospects, but I actually like this trade. The Dbacks outfield was sorely lacking in the power hitting department last season. Depending on players like Cody Ross to provide them with power was part of the reason why they ended up .500. Hopefully Trumbo can make teams think twice about walking Goldy every time there is a pressure situation.

As for Skaggs and Eaton, I like them both, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw from them last season. I understand that Eaton was battling injuries, but it doesn't seem like he will be a significantly better player than Pollock. As mentioned above, Skaggs needs a good 3rd pitch in order to become a top of the rotation pitcher. I think that he will turn things around, but he looks like a #3 starter at best.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is one of the other pieces of the trade the Dbacks get.

2:38pm: The Diamondbacks will receive right-hander A.J. Schugel from the Angels in the deal, tweets Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona. Schugel dealt with blisters early in the season and saw a foot injury cut his season short in July after he posted a 7.05 ERA with 7.7 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9 in 89 1/3 innings at Triple-A Salt Lake. However, he posted a 2.89 ERA with 7.0 K/9 and 3.5 BB/9 in 140 innings at Double-A when he was healthy in 2012.

Baseball America ranked Schugel 12th among Angels prospects prior to 2013, noting that a strong fastball/changeup combo should allow him to become a back-of-the-rotation starter despite a questionable breaking pitch. BA also noted that Schugel is an excellent athlete that fields his position well.