• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona Diamondbacks Ongoing Thread

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Piecoro tweeted that KT said our payroll could be up to 100 million this year

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I mean, I don't know Puig. So I can't answer that. But I'll also say that just because someone is a strong competitor on the field, doesn't necessarily indicate who they are off the field. I can say that Greinke and Parra both play like punks on the field, but I don't know who they are off the field. I just think that every sport has it's share of great guys and jackasses. And Carbrera isn't a good athlete, he's a good hitter, there's a difference. It's like saying that a FG kicker is a good athlete. He's not, based solely on the position he plays. There are some third basemen and FG kickers who are great athletes, but you don't necessarily have to be to play either position. And I think that baseball is based far more on strategy for success than football or basketball. That's one reason I like it more. In football and basketball, usually the bigger, faster, and stronger team wins. That's definitely not the case in baseball. College basketball is less the case, but pro basketball is pretty uniform. And Salary cap really doesn't matter, like it's been pointed out. Three of the top ten teams in baseball made the playoffs, and three of the bottom ten did as well. Again, it is based more on strategy and chemistry.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I mean, I don't know Puig. So I can't answer that. But I'll also say that just because someone is a strong competitor on the field, doesn't necessarily indicate who they are off the field. I can say that Greinke and Parra both play like punks on the field, but I don't know who they are off the field. I just think that every sport has it's share of great guys and jackasses. And Carbrera isn't a good athlete, he's a good hitter, there's a difference. It's like saying that a FG kicker is a good athlete. He's not, based solely on the position he plays. There are some third basemen and FG kickers who are great athletes, but you don't necessarily have to be to play either position. And I think that baseball is based far more on strategy for success than football or basketball. That's one reason I like it more. In football and basketball, usually the bigger, faster, and stronger team wins. That's definitely not the case in baseball. College basketball is less the case, but pro basketball is pretty uniform. And Salary cap really doesn't matter, like it's been pointed out. Three of the top ten teams in baseball made the playoffs, and three of the bottom ten did as well. Again, it is based more on strategy and chemistry.

I like baseball in one aspect because some unknown player can come through, an un athletic player that just plays the game with heart. You need at least one unknown to step up during a world series run.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Piecoro tweeted that KT said our payroll could be up to 100 million this year

Here is the article Piecoro wrote about the payroll.

Arizona Diamondbacks payroll might top $100 million mark

By Nick Piecoro, columnist
azcentral sports
Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:05 PM

In the Diamondbacks’ post-Jerry Colangelo existence, payroll has always been a consideration in roster construction, just as it is with nearly every other team in the majors. Although one of the rare exceptions resides within the Diamondbacks’ division, there is some good news when it comes to competing with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

They won’t come anywhere close to the Dodgers-record $230million payroll from this season, but the Diamondbacks are expected to increase their spending again, perhaps even getting into the nine-figure range next year for the first time in more than a decade.

Last year, after the surprise signing of outfielder Cody Ross, the Diamondbacks’ payroll came in around $90million.

“I think we’ll be above that, definitely above that,” Diamondbacks General Manager Kevin Towers said.

Even up to $100 million?

“Possibly could be,” Towers said.

The extra money should be useful. With several players due significant increases in their salaries next year, the Diamondbacks are already on target to exceed their 2013 payroll.

Second baseman Aaron Hill will go from $5.5million in 2013 to $11million in 2014. Third baseman Martin Prado will get a $4million raise to $11million. Right-hander Brandon McCarthy’s salary goes up to $9million.

With no changes to their starting lineup, rotation and bullpen from this year to next, roughly the same group of players will be due close to $95million for 2014 when arbitration raises are included.

That number would drop closer to $93million if left-handed reliever Tony Sipp is non-tendered, as expected. But that estimate also leaves out infielders Eric Chavez and Willie Bloomquist, both free agents, and doesn’t factor in a full array of bench players.

So if the Diamondbacks are going to look to make any major additions — you know, like acquiring Tampa Bay Rays left-hander David Price or paying big dollars for a free agent — they might have to get creative to make it happen.

“I think it depends on who the player is,” Towers said. “It could help to move some salary that we have that’s currently on our roster to give us a little more flexibility so we could go after more of a big-time free agent, but I think we have to wait to see which players are out there and what the acquisition cost will be.

“Then I’d go to Derrick (Hall) and Ken (Kendrick) and say, ‘This is what it will take.’ I don’t think they’ve ever — not in the three years I’ve been here — they’ve never not let us go after the guys that will give us a better chance to win.”

In 2015, when relievers J.J. Putz and Heath Bell come off the books, the Diamondbacks should have more financial flexibility, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see them backload contracts more than normal this off-season.

The only other time in franchise history the Diamondbacks have crossed the $100million threshold was in 2002, the year after they won their only World Series title.

Back then, their payroll ranked in the top five in the majors. This year, 13 teams had a payroll of approximately $100million or more.

Basically he is just saying what I already posted a few weeks ago in this thread.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Roberts was our hero in 2011 if we would of got passed that first round he was big in games 3 and 4. Played with a lot of heart barely any talent though.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Braun never juiced we might have put up a WS banner in 2011. That's how clutch our team was that season. I remember one game we went extra innings against LA and they came back with 3 runs in the like the tenth or something and Ryan Roberts hit a walk off grand slam to win by one. It was so epic.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Braun never juiced we might have put up a WS banner in 2011. That's how clutch our team was that season. I remember one game we went extra innings against LA and they came back with 3 runs in the like the tenth or something and Ryan Roberts hit a walk off grand slam to win by one. It was so epic.

Yea you need those type of players to win a world series. Everything came together, it was just Braun man, Kennedy pitched well other than Braun. We would of won at home to. I kind of blame Upton when he was hot we were streaking and would of got home field.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone disagree with me that our biggest need next season is a power bat to provide protection behind Goldy?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone disagree with me that our biggest need next season is a power bat to provide protection behind Goldy?

What killed us the most last year was the bullpen. I think our rotation could be decent IF Bradley pans out which is a big if. Corbin needs to pitch like his first half self and a bounce back year from one of Cahill or McCarthy would be necessary for a playoff run. I'm not saying to invest all of our money into the bullpen but I feel like it's being overlooked a little bit right now. A great offseason for me would be to sign Tankana or trade for Price and then shore up the bullpen. Then if our team is in good shape for a playoff run at the trade deadline try to add a bat in the middle of the year kind of like the Pirates did this year.

Our offense isn't as bad as our pitching, imo.

A healthy Hill, and a bounce back year from Montero would really help. I think one of Eaton/Davidson/Owings will breakout next year and then you got your two consistent guys in Prado and Goldy. This team has some depth but almost too much "similar depth" which ends up being counterproductive in a sense. In a perfect world we add a big bat, an ace and find a steal in free agency for the bullpen. But that won't happen.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nationals To Hire Matt Williams

MLBTR

By Steve Adams [October 25 at 8:40am CST]
8:40am: Knorr told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post (Twitter link) that he would stay in the event that he isn't selected to be the next manager, stating plainly: "I love this team."

8:27am: The Nationals plan to hire Matt Williams as their new manager with the hope of retaining Randy Knorr as their bench coach, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). The timing of an official announcement is still unknown, he adds.

Williams has been the rumored favorite for the past week or so, with one evaluator recently telling ESPN's Buster Olney that he would be "shocked" if the Nats don't tab him for the job. The Nationals have also interviewed Knorr, third base coach Trent Jewett, Blue Jays bench coach DeMarlo Hale and Padres special assistant Brad Ausmus.

Williams served as Arizona's third base coach from 2011-13 and was the team's first base coach a year prior in 2010. In terms of managerial experience, he spent two months as the interim manager for the Diamondbacks' Double-A affiliate. Last year, he managed in the Arizona Fall League, leading the Salt River Rafters to the AFL East Division Title before falling in the AFL Championship Game.

Over the course of a 17-year playing career, Williams batted .268/.317/.489, earning five All-Star appearances, four Silver Slugger Awards and four Gold Gloves. He finished in the Top 6 in NL MVP voting on four separate occasions, including a second-place finish with the 1994 Giants after he batted .267/.319/.607 with 43 home runs and earned a Gold Glove at third base.

I am not surprised. It was only a matter of time before he would find a manager job. I am sad to see him go but I am happy for him. Maybe now we will get a little better or more experienced 3B coach.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad that Matt Williams got the National's job. I wish him the best. Hopefully he is better as a manager than he was as a third base coach.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This would be perfect if it happened. He lives in the valley & retired to tend to his when she was battling cancer. She died earlier this year. Maybe he is ready to get back in the game?

Last edited by a moderator:

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong. bu wasn't Dave Duncan fantastic as the Cardnal's pitching coach? If so, I'd love to see him as a Dbacks coach.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong. bu wasn't Dave Duncan fantastic as the Cardnal's pitching coach? If so, I'd love to see him as a Dbacks coach.

Yes he was. He is the pitching guru of the 21st century. He retired in 2012 to be with his wife. I know previously he has stated he wasn't interested in returning to being a PC. But where there is smoke, there is a fire & Bob Nightengale must have some info into the situation for him to tweet that.