• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arizona Diamondbacks Ongoing Thread

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonas, I have been on DBacks boards for months now talking baseball. I had never talked any shit about the DBacks, in fact, I rooted for you to win against everyone but the Dodgers. All I got in return was shit talked to me. It's cool, I really don't mind. It's all online, so nothing to get upset at. No hard feelings, I haven't offered a fraction of what I've received, all while just trying to talk baseball.

And I've never once predicted that the Dodgers would win it all. That was mostly the writers, and I've heard as many predictions that Toronto, SF, and Detroit would win as much as I heard the Dodgers. Funny, you only heard the Dodgers for some reason.

The Cards certainly had key injuries, but the Dodgers had more injuries consistently this year than I recall from any team in any year in the decades I've followed baseball. LA had 18 players on the DL in the first two months. Most teams don't have that in a year. And even now, recall that Ethier, Hanley, Capuano, Billingsley, Beckett, Lilly, and Kemp are still injured. Fact is, LA has had 6 starters, every fielder, and quite a few back-ups all injured at some point, with many still on the DL. It's significantly worse than any other team. Props to the guys for battling back to make a good run of it. I have never said that we were untouchable. This is baseball. You have to win in a 7 game series against opponents who are in the same position you're in. Nothing is given in baseball, ever. I thought that the Dodgers had the best team, and the stats back that up. Up until today, LA led in the playoffs in BA, ERA, hits, were 2nd in runs, and was never outhit. That sounds like the best team to me. Unfortunately, the only problem is that they failed when it counted with RISP. That's a failure, but it takes nothing away from their otherwise great performance this postseason. I feel great about that. And you can say what you want about payroll, but as I wrote above, it isn't everything at all. 7 out of the top ten payrolls in baseball, didn't even make the playoffs. Half of the teams in the playoffs had a worse payroll than AZ. You still have to go out there and play. The Dodgers did, and they were one of the last standing. I will take that any day, because in the end, it's about what the team can come together to accomplish, not how much they get paid.

And you guys were not a starter and a couple relievers from making the playoffs. Let's be real. You guys need major protection for Goldy, and some better coaches, and a GM who is going to accomplish all of that for you. I've said for months that you are not far away, but that doesn't mean that you only need another starter and a couple relievers.

Bottom line guys is that up until you guys basically directed all of your hate upon me about losing the division because I'm a Dodgers fan, I was completely cordial. And I still don't take offense. But I can certainly argue back with facts, especially when the attacks are almost completely skewed and baseless. Say what you will, the year is over for both of us. I'm stoked about how the season went for us. We showed a ton of grit, passion, and the ability to play together, overcoming injuries everywhere, and a deep hole to start the season. I'll take making it to at least game six of the NLCS absolutely any year.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catstoppac, your quote is the reason why the giants consistently win World Series. You have this gigantic payroll which only seems to be "good enough" to reach the NLCS. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination but definitely not the end goal!

I disagree. The Giants still have the 7th best payroll in baseball. And they were fighting to stay out of the basement. Same with the Phillies who have the third best payroll. A giant payroll is great, but when you have some of your best hitters and pitchers on the DL for the whole year, they are still injuries. It doesn't matter if they are making 20M, or league minimum. You still have to play on. The Dodgers did. I think that when only 3 out of the top ten in payroll makes it to the playoffs, and three out of the bottom ten make the playoffs, then the payroll argument goes out the window for the most part. Regardless of the money, they all still have to figure out how to play together. It's difficult enough without more than half of your team on the DL at one point or another. Considering that the Dodgers did both, well enough to make it to the LCS, that's a great season. Just because you have a payroll, doesn't mean anything is promised, or expected. Look at the Angels, and the Yankees. Monster lineups and staffs. Neither did anything.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonas, I have been on DBacks boards for months now talking baseball. I had never talked any shit about the DBacks, in fact, I rooted for you to win against everyone but the Dodgers. All I got in return was shit talked to me. It's cool, I really don't mind. It's all online, so nothing to get upset at. No hard feelings, I haven't offered a fraction of what I've received, all while just trying to talk baseball.

And I've never once predicted that the Dodgers would win it all. That was mostly the writers, and I've heard as many predictions that Toronto, SF, and Detroit would win as much as I heard the Dodgers. Funny, you only heard the Dodgers for some reason.

The Cards certainly had key injuries, but the Dodgers had more injuries consistently this year than I recall from any team in any year in the decades I've followed baseball. LA had 18 players on the DL in the first two months. Most teams don't have that in a year. And even now, recall that Ethier, Hanley, Capuano, Billingsley, Beckett, Lilly, and Kemp are still injured. Fact is, LA has had 6 starters, every fielder, and quite a few back-ups all injured at some point, with many still on the DL. It's significantly worse than any other team. Props to the guys for battling back to make a good run of it. I have never said that we were untouchable. This is baseball. You have to win in a 7 game series against opponents who are in the same position you're in. Nothing is given in baseball, ever. I thought that the Dodgers had the best team, and the stats back that up. Up until today, LA led in the playoffs in BA, ERA, hits, were 2nd in runs, and was never outhit. That sounds like the best team to me. Unfortunately, the only problem is that they failed when it counted with RISP. That's a failure, but it takes nothing away from their otherwise great performance this postseason. I feel great about that. And you can say what you want about payroll, but as I wrote above, it isn't everything at all. 7 out of the top ten payrolls in baseball, didn't even make the playoffs. Half of the teams in the playoffs had a worse payroll than AZ. You still have to go out there and play. The Dodgers did, and they were one of the last standing. I will take that any day, because in the end, it's about what the team can come together to accomplish, not how much they get paid.

And you guys were not a starter and a couple relievers from making the playoffs. Let's be real. You guys need major protection for Goldy, and some better coaches, and a GM who is going to accomplish all of that for you. I've said for months that you are not far away, but that doesn't mean that you only need another starter and a couple relievers.

Bottom line guys is that up until you guys basically directed all of your hate upon me about losing the division because I'm a Dodgers fan, I was completely cordial. And I still don't take offense. But I can certainly argue back with facts, especially when the attacks are almost completely skewed and baseless. Say what you will, the year is over for both of us. I'm stoked about how the season went for us. We showed a ton of grit, passion, and the ability to play together, overcoming injuries everywhere, and a deep hole to start the season. I'll take making it to at least game six of the NLCS absolutely any year.

I have no misplaced anger towards you at all. I see you on this boards and for the most part, much of what you have to say is insightful. I think that you should enjoy your successful season and relish the momentuous comeback that the dodgers put together this season. The only downside to what you are saying is stuff that is incidentally inciting retaliation among the diamondback fans. We are slightly bitter that our team underachieved this season and possibly let the division slip through our fingers. We understand that changes need to be made and we may not have the salary or hierarchy to do so. We just don't like hearing it over and over again from the opposing fan base. Great job this season, your team deserved all the success they had in 2013. :suds:

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, we direct hate towards you because you are a clueless fan.

Only small market teams(like Oak) or perennial losers(like Pit) can call losing in the NLCS or NLDS a successful season. For every other team, not winning the WS is a disappointment. And that goes double for teams in the top 5 in payroll.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no misplaced anger towards you at all. I see you on this boards and for the most part, much of what you have to say is insightful. I think that you should enjoy your successful season and relish the momentuous comeback that the dodgers put together this season. The only downside to what you are saying is stuff that is incidentally inciting retaliation among the diamondback fans. We are slightly bitter that our team underachieved this season and possibly let the division slip through our fingers. We understand that changes need to be made and we may not have the salary or hierarchy to do so. We just don't like hearing it over and over again from the opposing fan base. Great job this season, your team deserved all the success they had in 2013. :suds:

Thanks, I appreciate that. I definitely admit that I threw a few unnecessary jabs in there. I received quite a few myself, but it all takes away from fruitful discussion, we all normally enjoy when talking baseball. My apologies. You guys are fine. Like I wrote on some of the boards questioning what has to happen with you guys moving forward (defending the DBacks from a few of your fans), you guys are in better shape than SD, SF, and Colorado, in my opinion. SD and Colorado are a joke, and honestly, the SF implosion this season is a huge red flag for me. It was practically the same team from last year, and it wasn't just one or two players that severely struggled. It was the overwhelming majority. If it was a different team, that would be understandable, but when they all struggled, you have to wonder where they can go from here.

AZ is different. You did let it go toward the end. And as I stated, I think that if you free up some of those expensive extra infielders, and can get an nice, young, cheap bat, it will do wonders for you. You guys will definitely have enough money to get a nice, young, cheap reliever or two, and with your farm system and the pitching coming up, you will be battling for the division and the wildcard for years to come. But KT needs to be the one to make that happen. And he really needs to surround them all with some good coaches to replace the ones you let go. All of it is achievable, and really not that difficult. I think the biggest problem lies in KT's ability to make the right decisions regarding all of that. But it's all there, and possible. KT is your biggest barrier to the success you enjoyed from 1999-2001 with the same payroll. Don't get me wrong, payroll helps, and the lack thereof, hurts, but I think it more depends on hierarchy. Best of luck in the offseason, and again, I hope that next year, the players and fans can move on to enjoy healthy competition, and great baseball between these two team. Salud:suds:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, we direct hate towards you because you are a clueless fan.

Only small market teams(like Oak) or perennial losers(like Pit) can call losing in the NLCS or NLDS a successful season. For every other team, not winning the WS is a disappointment. And that goes double for teams in the top 5 in payroll.

Of course every team's main goal is winning the WS, so every team except one, every year is disappointed to some extent. But I disagree that payrolls automatically should equate to WS expectations, and that getting to the LCS is a bust. Boston hasn't made an ALCS since 2008. How would they be disappointed in making their first ALCS in 5 years? And what about Philly? They haven't made a NLCS in at best 4 years (if they make it next year). How would they not be stoked? And why is it stop at the top 5? Who made that official? What about the top 6, or 7? Does they count? Why not? I think that the Angels would also be stoked in making their first ALCS since 2009. But since you said that every team besides that lowest payrolls, I'll assume that you mean that the 8th best payroll White Sox would be pissed to only make it to the ALCS, even though they haven't even made it to the playoffs since 2005. That's almost 10 years, but no, WS or bust, right? No in-between? I don't buy that for a minute. Where does Toronto fit into all this? They are a perennial loser, but they have the 9th highest payroll in baseball. They haven't made the playoff since 1993. With a top ten payroll, shouldn't they be in the playoffs every year: I mean, assuming that payrolls by rings and all. So I'm clueless, because the numbers don't support your argument. Because I haven't even gotten to the teams in the top 5 or 10 in payroll who haven't even gotten to a WS in the last decade let alone won it (Angels, Toronto, etc.) You're telling me that if the Phillies, Angels, Red Sox, White Sox, Toronto, or the Nationals made it to the WS and didn't win that the season would be a complete bust?? Because I think that winning the Pennant is a very big deal, for any team, any year. Period. See Jonas, this is what I'm talking about. What am I supposed to do with this????? This is crazy talk, saying that I'm clueless???:wtf2:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is our board, sir. I have to agree with Jonas here... if you don't like what you're hearing on here then just don't waste your time posting. You won't change anyone's minds brotha. It's college basketball season anyways, BEAR DOWN

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Sting, and you're right. I originally got on this board because I just wanted to talk baseball, and you guys are mostly Wildcat fans, so it's the best of both worlds. I've known you guys for years, and don't know anyone on the Dodger boards. For months and months, I never brought any Dodgers shit talking onto the board and I let whatever was said go, because for the most part, it was all just good, clean, baseball talk, with the bonus of talking AZ hoops. But then after the pool incident, all baseball talk went right out the window, and all that was being done was taking shots at me because I am a Dodgers fan. I get that it was all a product of a ridiculous situation, but I wasn't going to say nothing to defend myself. I thought that I had proven myself to being different that just some Dodger fan that was trolling, but it became clear that I was lumped in with them. I wish it had all just stayed about baseball, but I guess it's a realistic consequence of being a fan, especially a Dodger fan on a DBack board. Hopefully next year, we can get back to baseball, and if it devolves into cheap shots, I'll just head over to the Dodgers board, but I like talking baseball and college basketball with you guys if it's still possible.

Regardless, you're right. It's finally basketball season. Good luck during the offseason, and I'll see you gents over on the basketball threads and we can root for the Cats to make another deep run in the tourney. Lot's of anticipation and excitement as far as that's concerned!! BTFD!

Last edited by a moderator:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah for sure, I understand. We want you to stick around and talk baseball, and I'm pretty sure most of us on here don't lump you in the Doyer troll category. Idiots like LALakersboy just get things going and I just think anytime the Doyers get brought up that's usually when shots are fired, so we can try to avoid that.

These forums are better off with some arguments anyways, as long as it stays (somewhat) classy.
:suds:

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and to add to my post that whole pool incident is really what started all of this shit. Kinda ridiculous if you think about it.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It definitely was: stupid shit, all of it between these two teams. Then the trolling by both sides, and the ability to have any good conversations went down the drain. That's why I hate all of that bullshit. It totally takes away from the game, and has nothing to do with baseball. Then all of the shit from the season and seasons past gets rehashed, and it goes nowhere. Hopefully both teams and the fans can stay classy next year and not get into another year of fucking pissing contests. Tall order though, we'll see.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah for sure, I understand. We want you to stick around and talk baseball, and I'm pretty sure most of us on here don't lump you in the Doyer troll category. Idiots like LALakersboy just get things going and I just think anytime the Doyers get brought up that's usually when shots are fired, so we can try to avoid that.

These forums are better off with some arguments anyways, as long as it stays (somewhat) classy.
:suds:

Im the Idiot & get things going are you serious ? so theirs no Idiot AZ fans ?? its funny that you even mention me wow, look at your buddy AZ-DbackzAZ he comes almost everyday trolling LA he will even admit it :laugh3: i hardly ever even come to an AZ board not even in the ESPN days, I would go to the Giants board because that's our rival but AZ is nothing to me & if i said anything it's only because alot AZ fans would troll on us so what do you expect for me to stay quite ? no Dodger fan will do that I will defend my team the same way you do. The problem i have is that you make it seem like if it's only okay for AZ fans to talk shit, but Dodger fans need to stay quite they cant defend their team it's not allowed. Thats how alot of AZ fans act...fact! You guys even jump on CatsTopPac who has actually been cool with you guys & AZ fans bash him like crazy...come on guys WTF!

I dont go around & troll other teams boards & start disrespecting they way your buddy CaptainCoyoteSander did thats's why he even got banned from here. Now how many times have you said these 2 words on your board " Fuck LA " ?? I'm pretty sure alot right? wich is cool because hey its your board nothing wrong with that so it's okay right? so that's the same thing i do on my board also but i don't come here & the only time i bring up something it's only when we play each other or if someone trolls. I can easily have a good conversation about baseball, but many of you right away talk smack so hey what do you expect ?? no Dodger fan is going to bow down to especially an AZ fan sorry but that's just the way it is....Your not getting Sympathy from us the same way you wont give it to us.

Lets not kid ourselves theirs not even respect between these 2 teams & the fans. We cant stand you & you cant stand us , but in the end LA is one city in California & you compare AZ to only us & its not even close. To be honest & not to talk smack, but we have other teams that are a true rival & AZ teams just want attention & here in LA we just laugh at this matter because its a joke. Get real dude dont act like if you guys are all perfect & are far superior then LA. Come on you live in AZ & AZ sports i think you & i know suck everybody in the nation knows this. Now i'm not saying it's your fault but NFL,NBA,MLB,NHL you dont win anything compared to LA or in that matter all of California. Maybe that will change for you in the future & good luck & like i said i dont come to AZ boards, maybe you will see me next year come here just a couple of times during an AZ series & lets' see if you guys actually talk baseball but i'm pretty sure the 1st series thread you guys make vs us i bet all AZ sentences will say Fuck LA & the shit talking will start. So i will do the same on our board I think thats fair enough that ain't trolling :nod:

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we still talking about this? Both teams have gone fishing. We can officially put the kibosh on it until next year.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there any AZ fans around to discuss off season moves, coaching changes, etc?