• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Ravens the best 1-6 team in NFL History?

Are the Ravens the best 1-6 team in NFL History?

• Yes

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 32 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it wasn't just Kubiak, he took a lot of his assistants with him to Denver too. 4 different OFC in 4 years leaves no room for growth on that side of the ball.

No I get that. I'm just more commenting that when I had said earlier before the season started that losing Kubiak and some of that staff would be a bigger deal than what Tgann was making it out to be. He told me I was crazy for thinking such nonsense and that Trestman and his staff would take this offense to even better places than what Kubiak did. He pretty much told me it didn't matter who the coordinator was because the talent on the offense could do whatever they wanted.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think like $20 mill in dead money from Rice/Ngata/Jacoby Jones will be gone after this year not to mention Flacco's inevitable restructure should give them a lot of space next year.

Ravens have always built through the draft anyways. It's just their top picks the last few years have not panned out and it's hurt them. They've had to resort to undrafted/journeyman for depth.

What makes you think Flacco will restructure next year? Genuinely curious here, because I just don't see it happening. His cap hit is $28.5 million next year, but if the Ravens cut him they'll have a dead money hit of $25.8 million. So cutting him isn't an option, and without that threat what incentive does he have to restucture? Unless the Ravens offer him more money upfront and tack on some more years at the end, but then you're just pushing the problem down the road.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you think Flacco will restructure next year? Genuinely curious here, because I just don't see it happening. His cap hit is $28.5 million next year, but if the Ravens cut him they'll have a dead money hit of $25.8 million. So cutting him isn't an option, and without that threat what incentive does he have to restucture? Unless the Ravens offer him more money upfront and tack on some more years at the end, but then you're just pushing the problem down the road.

The teams that do this seem to find themselves constantly having to do this until they reach a season it is impossible to continue and have to hit the reset button. The Saints are a great example of doing the restructure. They have now reached a point that good chance they will be cutting their Franchise QB after this season and having to start over on offense. They also had to make some major cuts to make this season work. While I don't think restructuring one contract especially when it is a player that I think will be with the Ravens for quite a few years it definitely makes the next few years that much tougher. It will give them some nice relief for one year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitta just came off PUP list so he has 3 weeks to get on the field or he's done for the season.

And Ngata hasn't done anything this year with the Lions this year. Brandon Williams is actually one of the highest rated run stoppers in the league.

Pitta...noted.

Ngata...idk, change of lockerroom, etc. he was a beast in BAL...something is missing on the front end of the D...not like in the past.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The teams that do this seem to find themselves constantly having to do this until they reach a season it is impossible to continue and have to hit the reset button. The Saints are a great example of doing the restructure. They have now reached a point that good chance they will be cutting their Franchise QB after this season and having to start over on offense. They also had to make some major cuts to make this season work. While I don't think restructuring one contract especially when it is a player that I think will be with the Ravens for quite a few years it definitely makes the next few years that much tougher. It will give them some nice relief for one year.

Flacco and Biscotti 'verbally agreed' to a restructure before this season. Wanted to see his performance after this year.
Other QB's with similar contracts have done the same. I don't see Flacco as a selfish person.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco and Biscotti 'verbally agreed' to a restructure before this season. Wanted to see his performance after this year.
Other QB's with similar contracts have done the same. I don't see Flacco as a selfish person.

I don't see him as selfish either but a restructure usually ends up working better for the player than the team. The player gets more guaranteed money essentially turning 3 years into about 6 years worth of guaranteed money by the end of it. My guess is he will still be getting top-10 QB money when they restructure. Right now 3 years after signing the deal he is still the 7th highest paid QB in the league on a per year basis.

Throw in we are still looking at around $26 million in guaranteed money left on his current deal that can't just disappear. So adding any money to the deal will only take that number once again close to that $50-60 million in guaranteed money. Do you really want to invest that type of money in a guy that is currently 26th in QB Rating? Last year was his 2nd best QB Rating and he still was only 16th in the league. He only has one season of being top-10 in that category. I know everybody leans on his playoff record as why he should get paid but you take away that one magical playoff run in 2012 and you got a below average QB that has been carried by a very solid run game and a great defense for most of his career.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see him as selfish either but a restructure usually ends up working better for the player than the team. The player gets more guaranteed money essentially turning 3 years into about 6 years worth of guaranteed money by the end of it. My guess is he will still be getting top-10 QB money when they restructure. Right now 3 years after signing the deal he is still the 7th highest paid QB in the league on a per year basis.

Throw in we are still looking at around $26 million in guaranteed money left on his current deal that can't just disappear. So adding any money to the deal will only take that number once again close to that $50-60 million in guaranteed money. Do you really want to invest that type of money in a guy that is currently 26th in QB Rating? Last year was his 2nd best QB Rating and he still was only 16th in the league. He only has one season of being top-10 in that category. I know everybody leans on his playoff record as why he should get paid but you take away that one magical playoff run in 2012 and you got a below average QB that has been carried by a very solid run game and a great defense for most of his career.

Well, considering what other QB's with less success than Flacco are making now (which is technically more on a per year basis), he does have a claim to a decent salary in this league.

This is also arguably the worst receiving corp Flacco has had in his career even with Smith playing well. He's never had top-10 targets like some of the other $100 million QBs. For example:

Brady has Gronk and Edelman (and Moss and Welker before)
Rodgers has Nelson and Cobb
Romo has Dez and Witten
Stafford has Megatron
Dalton has A.J. Green
Ryan has Jones and had Gonzalez and White in his prime
Big Ben has Brown and Bell
Payton had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Demarrious Thomas, Welker, Dallas Clark

If you gave Flacco weapons like that and still puts up mediocre numbers then I think this would be a better argument against him. Some of those guys put up good numbers but fail to deliver in the big games which Flacco has been able to do until recently.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ravens are honestly bad

they have no one except Steve Smith to catch passes and their secondary is a mess

I did find it funny how the ESPN announcers kept feeling bad for Flacco all game for his lack of options

well it's Flacco's fault, he's the one that wanted to be paid a ridiculous sum of money each year and reduced the Ravens ability to surround talent around him

any QB that cares about winning would do what Brady did

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it wasn't just Kubiak, he took a lot of his assistants with him to Denver too. 4 different OFC in 4 years leaves no room for growth on that side of the ball.

Oh jesus, I guess that bug moved from Washington over to Baltimore. All we ever heard was Jason Campbell just needs the same system for two years in a row :L

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can buy the "couple of bounces" once or twice. But 6 times? No, that just means you choke or suck. Bad luck doesn't just happen 6 of 7 tries.
The MNF game wasn't really close. It was 26-10 with under 5 minutes to play. They needed some flukey special teams plays to even get within 8 points.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh jesus, I guess that bug moved from Washington over to Baltimore. All we ever heard was Jason Campbell just needs the same system for two years in a row :L

Right, because I forgot this only affects quarterbacks :L

Flacco had his best statistical season last year with receivers he had for at least 3 years. Replace those guys with rookies and undrafted guys in a new system the next year, should have been seemless, right? :rolleyes2:

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They fit the theme of a bad team in my opinion. They are about as inconsistent as it comes in this league. Yes they are keeping games close but that isn't saying much in my opinion considering most games in the NFL are decided by a touchdown or less. The good teams have that edge that knows how to finish games off or find that one play that wins it. I wouldn't call them the worst team in the league right now as I do think they have some talent and I still think Harbaugh is a great coach. I would definitely put them bottom 5 right now though. They could definitely rebound after this year but I do think they have some major holes that will need fixed. Steve Smith the one offensive weapon they actually have is gone after this year. I know they took a guy in the 1st round but they will still need at least 1 more decent weapon and that is with hoping that player actually develops into something. Defensively they are going to have a major hole at Pass Rush in my opinion. Suggs good chance he is entering the part of his career where he is more of a role player than 3-down type player. Dumervil will be another year older. Right now they have nothing behind either of those guys. Secondary wise safety seems to be doing decent right now but Corner is a huge hole. I would say they need at least 2 quality Corners added to the team.

I would throw in Cap Wise they are not looking pretty for this next year. They already have $144.4 million committed for next season. I don't think they have a ton of guys they have to resign and they can make a few cuts that can help out but I wouldn't look for them to be very active in FA. That means they are going to have to depend on the draft to really make a huge difference to improve this team after this season.

What happen to you agreeing to more paragraphs?:gaah: