• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Browns assisting Watson to

Are the Browns assisting Watson to avoid financial punishment in the event he gets suspended in 2022

• Total voters

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that talent will disappear over the next few years, before the life of his contract is completed. There will be very few top quality draft picks to replace the lost talent.

Browns are really all in for this year. If Watson gets a healthy suspension, by the time he returns he'll be approaching two years of not playing NFL ball.

I don't think it was a good/smart signing based on what they stand to lose.
They locked up their young core talent I believe.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can anyone even question that is was done to help him. Of course it was.

edit: nvm I just saw who the no vote was. He’s is getting into RTK territory with his blind homerism.
My no vote was because the help he is getting is not limited to being suspended in 2022 but also 2023 and beyond.

Try not only reading, but also understanding.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well judging by his '21 season it was wise of the Browns not to give him a long term extension after the '20 season.

Didn't you call him a bust is a different thread? I know a Seahawks fan said that. If that wasn't you my bad.

But if it was how can you call him a bust then turn around and say the Browns should have extended him?
whatever fits his Narrative Du Jour?

as to his comments it takes 2 to agree on a longterm deal. Very possible the Browns offered something and Baker wanted more so he bet on himself. So far, he has lost that bet.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whatever fits his Narrative Du Jour?

as to his comments it takes 2 to agree on a longterm deal. Very possible the Browns offered something and Baker wanted more so he bet on himself. So far, he has lost that bet.

While I just can't bring myself to support Watson there's no question he's a helluva upgrade from BM.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I called him a bust and yes I say that the Browns should of extended him after 2020. Seems confusing? Yes I can see how it would. His 2020 season was decent ( not great ) and a big step forward from his 2019 season. The Browns were building towards being a contender ( not yet there) , and building around Mayfield. To not extend him was a no confidence move by the Browns. They could have extended him and still allow themselves an out after a couple of seasons. That contract would of keep them from what I consider the single worse off season move the Browns have ever done. Trading a arm,a leg, a first born for a QB that has trouble written all over him. All ready Cleveland citizens are protesting the trade:

The ill repute that Watson carries is going end up on the whole organization. It's going to bring disdain for the Browns as being so desperate that they would do ANYTHING to replace Mayfield even trade for a QB who quit on his team, even trade for a QB that appears to be a pervert, even trade for a QB who didn't play in 2021 and may not play in 2022, even give up a king ransom for him, even give him a contract that is mind boggling large, even guarantee ever dollar of the contract, So now they traded their premium draft capitol for 3 years, have tap out their cap space (after this season), have destroyed Mayfield trade value. In addition they enable Watson to try and circumvent the punishment he so richly deserves

So I see a train wreck about to happen. I don't see how extending Baker could have possibly worked out as bad as this situation is. If I was a Browns fan I would feel like slitting my throat. Much to my surprise dtgold88 has been a Watson apologist and a Browns apologist, and someone who claims "nothing to see here folks" defending , deflecting ever step of the conversation.
Idea you believe Baker is a bust but, sure, offer him a large extension (even with an out after a couple years) is you trying to play all sides of the fence and simply not admit your "logic" is way off base.....again.

Have you given any thought to the notion Baker also had a say in if he agreed to an extension? QBs were getting $35-40 mil+ with large guarantees then. Baker likely thought of himself as a top QB, but he should take a lesser deal with lower guarantees just to be nice?

Instead of just making it up as you go you could take down what I have often said about Watson and it's not what you think I've said. If you are making it up as you go (lying) you should do better and be more creative.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did...no matter what one thinks of the Watson situation, THIS Browns regime seems to know what they are doing with gauging value in players and managing the cap. They are among the top teams in spending AND cap space.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I just can't bring myself to support Watson there's no question he's a helluva upgrade from BM.
You are certainly not the only Browns' fan to have this opinion (guessing majority agree). Hell, I'd have rather things worked out with Baker and we won with him rather than dealt for Watson and his current baggage.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These Browns are different.

They finally seem to have a good FO and head coach.
while I agree on the HC I guess it still remains to be seen. One great year, one where he underachieved.

Definitely have faith in the FO.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"If you NEVER said they've done nothing", does that mean they've done something?

Untwist yourself because your command of the English language is getting worse with every twisted post.

Got to love this forum.
You are trying too hard....in fact, yes, it does mean they have done some things to help Watson if he's suspended, as I've said all along (such as not losing any of his guarantee.

Only area I disagree with is his low base in 2022 was done to help him if suspended.

write that down somewhere so you don't need to embarrass yourself any further.....or read it as many times as necessary for it to sink in.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have traded for Watson had we not traded for Adams.

I like Carr (borderline top 10 signal caller) but Watson is a better QB. And he isn't afraid to scramble. Carr has been hesitant to run ever since he had that injury several years ago.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Despite these allegations. He's a top 5-8 QB in the League and an upgrade over Mayfield.

Teams are always looking to improve.
I happen to agree. I'm glad we did it but then and now I never thought it was a no-brainer move and could come back to bite us.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per comedygold88 defensive players don't help win games.

Three players taking up the majority of cap space is not a bysiness plan for success. Especially when there are lmited draft picks to fill the gaps.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per comedygold88 defensive players don't help win games.

Three players taking up the majority of cap space is not a bysiness plan for success. Especially when there are lmited draft picks to fill the gaps.
LOL.

They still have draft picks.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are trying too hard....in fact, yes, it does mean they have done some things to help Watson if he's suspended, as I've said all along (such as not losing any of his guarantee.

Only area I disagree with is his low base in 2022 was done to help him if suspended.

write that down somewhere so you don't need to embarrass yourself any further.....or read it as many times as necessary for it to sink in.
Embarrassing yourself is what happens when you attempt to be a grammer Nazi only to continue writting like a 2nd grader. No need to try hard it's actually quite sad and plain as day.

Got to love this forum.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True he may be a top 5-8 QB? Even with all the picks and guarenteed $ given up, as well as possible suspension time you really think the Browns made a GOOD signing?
I realize rational comments confuse you, as you think one must have an agenda and be 100% on one side or another for each topic, but I'm not so sure it was "a good signing".

was it necessary to convince Watson to come here? Yes. Might it work out as the FO hopes? also yes....but, sure, it could also backfire which I understand is what you and many others hope will happen.

Should add I'm not so sure the Browns do not have an idea what the suspension (assuming there is one) will be. Yes, this means the Browns may know what the suspension will be.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

They still have draft picks.
We've seen their track record of draft picks. That's when they had multiple 1st rounders for multiple years and failed miserably.

Are you expecting them to magically change with fewer and lower picks?

LOL

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"yes I called him a bust and yes I say that the Browns should have extended him 2020"

:laugh3:

Didn't read past that and nothing else needs to be said.
And THAT is why "ya gotta love this forum"

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree completely with this. Cannot believe a team would give up so much for ONE player. Besides the fact that Watson has not really proven anything. So he has a top QB rating … big deal. Don’t see how that translates into good strategy for the Browns. Good luck Browns, you’re going to need it.
Career numbers (not including rating):

67.8% (would have tied for 7th last season)
269ypg (9th)
8.3ypa (3rd)
104 TD's to
36 INT's

He has proven he's an elite QB. His last season played his numbers were significantly better than just his career averages. Wasn't his fault the defense was horrible.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've seen their track record of draft picks. That's when they had multiple 1st rounders for multiple years and failed miserably.

Are you expecting them to magically change with fewer and lower picks?

LOL
They have drafted the better the last few years with this FO.

SMH and LOL.