• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aqib Talib: I don't see why Broncos can't repeat

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it wasn't luck the Broncos won it... they earned it ... D played great and Manning played smart ... As far as Talib saying they're gonna repeat, he's forgetting the frustration of having average to poor QB play...

No doubt the Broncos might fall back to Earth if they don't have strong QB play in 2016. I don't think Talib said that he's confident that they'll repeat but more along the lines of "they could". I'm not sure what else he's supposed to say when asked that question. It's tough to say how the Broncos will do in the upcoming season since they don't even know who the starting QB is yet. I'm sure the Seahawks weren't certain that drafting Russell Wilson was going to get them to the Super Bowl but you just never know.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from the fact they were lucky to get past NE at home last year.

If Bill B hadn't sat on his ass and kicked 3 with 6 to go, they win. Game changes completely at that point.

Makes me think of the time he went for it on 4th down against Manning when he was in Indy. Then he was afraid of his team not stopping Manning. This was not that Manning. He should have had no fear and the 2nd half stats proved it. Denver was dead. Defense was the only thing going to win it for them.

So I'm dumbfounded. He's got Brady/Gronk, Denver is offensively dead, kick 3.

Talib wouldn't have been thinking repeat at that point.

The were lucky to beat Pitt the week before, I wouldnt call the Pats win lucky...

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The were lucky to beat Pitt the week before, I wouldnt call the Pats win lucky...
I disagree about Pitt. They weren't lucky, they made several huge plays in that game that resulted in them winning. Talib broke up 2 passes in the end zone that saved Denver 11 points (one was on 4th down, the other the Steelers kicked a fg after). They sacked Roethlisberger to knock the Steelers out of fg range. They created a huge fumble that swung the momentum of the game. They completed a long pass on 3rd and 12 to extend the game winning drive. And they made another defensive stop when they were leading by 7 that allowed them to kick a fg goal and win the game.

The Broncos beat the Steelers because they made more big plays in the game. The Steelers moved the ball well for most of the game, but kept stalling out just out of fg range. They didn't make enough key plays and Denver did.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually by Denver QB standards he'd be correct. The only above average QB Denver ever had was Elway. You can't use Manning's Colts stats. Yep Tebow average = or > Orton, Cutler, Plummer, Griese, Deberg...
In just his time with the Broncos, Manning completed 66.5% of his passes for 17,112 yards, 140 touchdowns, and 53 interceptions. Over 3 and a half seasons that averages to 4,889 yards, 40 touchdowns, and 15 interceptions. Oh, and he had a passer rating of 101.7, which is higher than his time in Indy and higher than Tom Brady's career passer rating.

Of course, he also set the single season passing record for yards and touchdowns in Denver, but yeah, sure, he wasn't above average. :rolleyes2:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just love it when dear friends from a sports posting website espouse their knowledge. Lucky is a word used by people that don't like the outcome. Woulda, coulda, shoulda usually follows the "lucky" sentiment. The Broncos beat the Patriots in the AFCCG and it wasn't by virtue of luck. The Pats were outplayed and out-coached. Simple as that. Nothing about "luck" comes into play during that game. Talib has every right to talk about the odds of repeating as Super Bowl champions since he currently is a reigning player in that regard. Now the odds of him being accurate are pretty slim, I'll admit. However, the Broncos won the Super Bowl and that's as clear and accurate of a statement as any NFL fan can make.

I love it when folks "embiggen" themselves using words like espouse.....

I didn't like it when Bill B didn't kick the FG.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree about Pitt. They weren't lucky, they made several huge plays in that game that resulted in them winning. Talib broke up 2 passes in the end zone that saved Denver 11 points (one was on 4th down, the other the Steelers kicked a fg after). They sacked Roethlisberger to knock the Steelers out of fg range. They created a huge fumble that swung the momentum of the game. They completed a long pass on 3rd and 12 to extend the game winning drive. And they made another defensive stop when they were leading by 7 that allowed them to kick a fg goal and win the game.

The Broncos beat the Steelers because they made more big plays in the game. The Steelers moved the ball well for most of the game, but kept stalling out just out of fg range. They didn't make enough key plays and Denver did.

When I say "Lucky", i do account for the fact that the Steelers were missing most of their key offensive players....That, and the back breaking fumble, in which a FG alone on that drive, could have put that game to sleep

Against a fully healthy Pats team, I thought they pretty much dominated all day, and would have been pretty unlucky to lose that game

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I say "Lucky", i do account for the fact that the Steelers were missing most of their key offensive players....That, and the back breaking fumble, in which a FG alone on that drive, could have put that game to sleep

Against a fully healthy Pats team, I thought they pretty much dominated all day, and would have been pretty unlucky to lose that game
It was a 13-12 game at that point with 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. How exactly would a fg put the game to sleep?

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it when folks "embiggen" themselves using words like espouse.....

I didn't like it when Bill B didn't kick the FG.

I didn't realize that I embiggened myself but that's pretty cool. It's an ethereal sensation. Yeah, Bill shoulda kicked it. I liked it when he didn't.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a 13-12 game at that point with 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. How exactly would a fg put the game to sleep?

The fact that Peyton Manning was incapable of leading a drive that resulted in a TD all day, id say a 16-12 lead would have been a tall task

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Peyton Manning was incapable of leading a drive that resulted in a TD all day, id say a 16-12 lead would have been a tall task
Except for the fact that the very next drive was a touchdown drive. And things change when you know you have to go for the touchdown instead of settling for the fg.

And even if you can't get the touchdown, with 10 minutes left that's plenty of time for 2 field goal drives. So I still say calling a 16-12 game over is a gross mischaracterization.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize that I embiggened myself but that's pretty cool. It's an ethereal sensation. Yeah, Bill shoulda kicked it. I liked it when he didn't.

I think I got embiggen from Simpsons? On one of the statues in the opening credits?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except for the fact that the very next drive was a touchdown drive. And things change when you know you have to go for the touchdown instead of settling for the fg.

And even if you can't get the touchdown, with 10 minutes left that's plenty of time for 2 field goal drives. So I still say calling a 16-12 game over is a gross mischaracterization.

Ill stick to my assertion that they way Peyton was playing in that game, basically most of the season, without the benefit of a short field (which he was given on the fumble), my money was not on him being able to get 7 if needed

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Green Bay thought it was so over against Seattle in the NFCCG that when they intercepted Wilson with only 5:13 left in the game that the player went down instead of trying to score. That ended up being big. Nothing is over until it's over. Seattle also hadn't moved the ball at all that day until with less than 2 minutes to go they scored twice and got to OT.

Point being that whenever someone says a game was going a certain way and therefore it was going to likely stay that way must have forgotten all of the amazing turnarounds that happen in games every year. All it takes is one or two plays to switch momentum and get a team on their heels and things can change in a blink.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green Bay thought it was so over against Seattle in the NFCCG that when they intercepted Wilson with only 5:13 left in the game that the player went down instead of trying to score. That ended up being big. Nothing is over until it's over. Seattle also hadn't moved the ball at all that day until with less than 2 minutes to go they scored twice and got to OT.

Point being that whenever someone says a game was going a certain way and therefore it was going to likely stay that way must have forgotten all of the amazing turnarounds that happen in games every year. All it takes is one or two plays to switch momentum and get a team on their heels and things can change in a blink.

Sure, but whats the % of onside kicks recovered?

Interesting tidbit from that game

I like to Live wager on football....And right after that INT you mentioned, the Packers were -12000 to win

For $100 at the very moment on Seattle to win the game, would have returned you $12,000 or thereabouts

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill stick to my assertion that they way Peyton was playing in that game, basically most of the season, without the benefit of a short field (which he was given on the fumble), my money was not on him being able to get 7 if needed
Your memory is faulty. The fumble recovery happened on the Denver 35 yard line. That hardly constitutes a short field.

And Manning contributed with a huge 31 yard completion to Bennie Fowler on 3rd and 12, and drew Harrison offside on a hard count on a second and 7, which allowed Denver to run for the first down.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your memory is faulty. The fumble recovery happened on the Denver 35 yard line. That hardly constitutes a short field.

And Manning contributed with a huge 31 yard completion to Bennie Fowler on 3rd and 12, and drew Harrison offside on a hard count on a second and 7, which allowed Denver to run for the first down.

I remember the play...When Peyton fell down, the defense came to a stop, he got up and threw...;-)

Either way, I have nothing against Peyton, but he was the only reason the Steelers and Pats had a chance to win, and the only reason the Panthers didnt lose by 60 in the bowl

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the play...When Peyton fell down, the defense came to a stop, he got up and threw...;-)

Either way, I have nothing against Peyton, but he was the only reason the Steelers and Pats had a chance to win, and the only reason the Panthers didnt lose by 60 in the bowl
Nope, that was the previous drive and completion to Emmanuel Sanders. Denver punted shortly after that completion.

Like I said, your memory is faulty.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, that was the previous drive and completion to Emmanuel Sanders. Denver punted shortly after that completion.

Like I said, your memory is faulty.

Funny the natural instinct to defend the QB of our favorite teams...Guess Im guilty of the same