• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Appreciating Russell Westbrook

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over at SeeBS there was this guy who would start threads about "Westbrick," and then go on and on about how he couldn't figure out what was so great about Russell Westbrook, how Russ was holding Kevin Durant and the Thunder back, and how Russ was no better than Monte Ellis.

Where is that guy now? I honestly don't remember his name, but I'm sure someone else in here does.

Aside from the fact that Russ put together a 23.98 PER this season and averaged a pts/ast/reb/stl stat line that had only been done three times since 1946 (once by Jordan, once by Bird, and once by Payton), it is now completely obvious that OKC is not only not better without Russ "taking shots away from Durant" but OKC is largely relegated to sucking in the halfcourt all the time without my boy Russ breaking down the defense for them.

And now the #1 seed might go down to the #8 seed after being up 3-0.

Also, shout out to Skip Bayless.

Full Disclosure: I'm an unabashed homer about Westbrook because we're from the same neighborhood . . . Hawthorne!

Last edited by a moderator:

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his name was Desean or something close. He did have a hair up his ass over Westbrook though. I thought Westbrook stole his girl or something!

Triplexxx23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think westbrook problem was that he was just forcing way too many shots at times.. and in a way always wanted to prove that he can be just as good as Durant and a leader of this team. But without westbrook I can't see them getting pass the 2nd round.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, imo Westbrook was indeed taking shots away from Durant and was not a good decision maker more oft than not...but with that said, they cannot win without him, especially considering the fact that James Harden is no longer there. That team is KD and Westbrook or bust, not KD or Westbrook or bust. Neither one of them can single handedly take that team to title contention. It also doesn't help that Durant is doing his best to be cleveland Lebron. Also, I never liked their offense, even when Harden was there. It was straight street ball, isolation....and to that their last second playcalling is the same play, KD step back 3. Which is part of the reason why I've been saying for a couple years, that they need to go after Phil Jackson and make Brian Shaw the successor, but that's another topic for another day.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it before on this board.

Westbrook IS THE HEART AND SOUL of the Thunder team. He is CLEARLY the emotional leader.

That should be obvious to anyone with eyeballs and a brain right now.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that OKC is struggling without Westbrook. It should be expected when you lose a very significant piece of the offense. What I find most interesting is that they have dropped off significantly on the defensive end without Westbrook. Their defensive rating this postseason with Westbrook was 86.1. It is 108.2 without Westbrook.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, imo Westbrook was indeed taking shots away from Durant and was not a good decision maker more oft than not...but with that said, they cannot win without him, especially considering the fact that James Harden is no longer there. That team is KD and Westbrook or bust, not KD or Westbrook or bust. Neither one of them can single handedly take that team to title contention. It also doesn't help that Durant is doing his best to be cleveland Lebron. Also, I never liked their offense, even when Harden was there. It was straight street ball, isolation....and to that their last second playcalling is the same play, KD step back 3. Which is part of the reason why I've been saying for a couple years, that they need to go after Phil Jackson and make Brian Shaw the successor, but that's another topic for another day.

Agree with everything here wholeheartedly, except the notion that Westbrook was taking shots away from Durant.

It was the opposite IMO, actually.

Westbrook would push the tempo and keep the defense on their heels in transition both after makes and misses by the other team, and this is sorely missed by the Thunder. Also, Westbrook could create in the halfcourt and commanded double-teams or break down the defense by getting into the teeth of the defense, making the defense collapse, and then kick it out to Durant for open jumpers or open lanes to the basket.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it before on this board.

Westbrook IS THE HEART AND SOUL of the Thunder team. He is CLEARLY the emotional leader.

That should be obvious to anyone with eyeballs and a brain right now.

I agree with this. Westbrook is the player the team revolves around. To take nothing away from Durant.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James HARDEN is the more important loss.

Everyone outside of Oklahoma City knew this was going to happen in the post-season.

Kevin Martin is a decent regular season replacement, but the playoffs are a special place for star players. Guys like Martin disappear in the post-season.

OKC was not winning a title this season once they let Harden walk.

The Westbrook injury only enable an excuse for the management to hide behind.

They might have beaten the western teams (maybe), but this team was a worse version of 2012 even with a healthy Westbrook.

The Westbrook injury is only exposing how badly they need a guy like HARDEN for the post-season.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook would push the tempo and keep the defense on their heels in transition both after makes and misses by the other team, and this is sorely missed by the Thunder. Also, Westbrook could create in the halfcourt and commanded double-teams or break down the defense by getting into the teeth of the defense, making the defense collapse, and then kick it out to Durant for open jumpers or open lanes to the basket.

I agree with that. What I was saying is that there'd be too many times particulary down the stretch of the game when Durant would just be standing around waiting for the ball while Westbrook would just do his own thing

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. What I was saying is that there'd be too many times particulary down the stretch of the game when Durant would just be standing around waiting for the ball while Westbrook would just do his own thing

That's probably true, I just never noticed it with my homer goggles on. Ha.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook has so much talent but he has that Alan Iverson thing about him where he has a hard time getting the best out of his teammates while still producing at a high level himself.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook has so much talent but he has that Alan Iverson thing about him where he has a hard time getting the best out of his teammates while still producing at a high level himself.

I understand and agree somewhat with your point... but isn't it a little crazy that we are saying this about a guy averaging double digit assists?

I think some of it is an unfair stigma that has attached itself to him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand and agree somewhat with your point... but isn't it a little crazy that we are saying this about a guy averaging double digit assists?

Agree. Earlier in his career, he was more of an Iverson type. In fact, he was criticized for years because he would often go into "hero ball mode" trying to win games on his own even though he had KD on the floor with him.

He's obviously moved past that and has actually become a better all around player, but folks don't want to let go of their first impressions.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody said RW wasn't a great player but if OKC had gotten Rondo for Westbrook.....Durant would have turned into an MJ type player with Rondo feeding him the ball....

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is some SERIOUS idiocy to double down on.

does anyone with a shred of mental acumen wish to try and back @DJ up on the bat-shit crazy assertion that Rondo would have made the Thunder better? LOL...and YES you said it ALL the time that RW was not a great player- that he was selfish and the THunder would be better of trading him.

STOP DJ...you lost....just like with everything else. Its over.

My interpretation of that was saying Rondo would have benefitted Durant, not OKC in general, more than RW ever has. I can see a legit argument why this would be true. Rondo would have done everything he could to make sure the ball was in Durant's hands with an opportunity to score. That's the main difference.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ya, Westbrook is a hard one to figure. There is no doubt he plays hard though.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook's a good player for sure, wonder if Durant does leave if Westbrook will become even better on his own.