• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another great game by Alex

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
On a closer re-watch of the game last night, my opinion of Smith's game improved from the first time through. He threw almost no bad balls - a couple drops, and a couple incompletions where he seemed to be first and foremost trying to negate any chance of an INT. That said, they're still obviously not asking him to do too much, not a lot of difficult plays to make, but his accuracy is excellent and almost all good decisions. You don't see those plays where he's throwing it away while a WR is running open downfield as much, just throwing balls to open guys.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As far as the criticism.....everyone on this board should understand by now that when a guy thinks he knows football pretty well, and makes 8000 assertions over years and years that Alex Smith sucks and always will.......you can either admit you're a loudmouth that talks more than he knows, or you can keep whining about Smith in spite of his success....or I suppose just stop talking and making predictions for a change, but nobody seems to be into that one. So we still get people thrashing around and moving goalposts and wondering why Smith isn't Peyton Manning yet.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am bummed with Davis as well. He has gone back to the guy that makes me nervous. Crabs is trending upward though so. Looks like him and Smith are getting some chemistry going.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that right now our modest passing game production has more to do with the receivers than alex. There is not a serious play maker in the bunch and they all have the droppsies. When was the last time a receiver took a short pass and broke it for a long td? Most good teams have one or two that can do that. I have seen none of these guys do it. Maybe Edwards has elsewhere but I am not that aware of his history.

It struck me again watching the packers yesterday. A-Rog is great but so is his receiving corp. he makes them look better but they make him look better too. Speedy, strong, big, elusive, and able to snag anything. I would say that is the biggest need the team has now, an A-1 playmaker at wideout.

If Rogers had Braylon, Davis, and Crabtree I think they'd put up some real big numbers, especially with Gore in the backfield. I think Braylon and Vernon Davis especially would be putting up some big numbers.

There's no doubt in my mind a QB like Rogers would have hurt those safeties in yesterday's game with the way they were playing. They were consistently creeping up to 10 yards from the LOS. Once they get burned and have to move back, you'd see a lot more receiving yards open up underneath.

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That pass to gore in the first quarter was Gore fault...Gore is a awesome runner but has trouble when it comes to catching the ball..He seem to miss one or two a game!!

He does and so does Davis. I was thinking Crabtree was the same way and was more reckless or careless but he has vastly improved. I like that Davis is very physical but he doesn't have good hands or concentration when catching the ball and when passing, I'd rather put the ball in Walker, Edwards or Miller's hands than Gore or Davis.

Oh, just realized this thread was about Alex. Well he's present and not making any mistakes. He actually did goo, er, okay.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am bummed with Davis as well. He has gone back to the guy that makes me nervous. Crabs is trending upward though so. Looks like him and Smith are getting some chemistry going.

Man, I could not agree with this more, Ray.

Crabtree & Smith, had a good day yesterday. 5 for 5 with 3 first downs and Crabtree showed, on one play in particular, that coaching is starting to influence his instincts, where instead of dancing after the catch he immediately turned up field and secured the 1st down.

It seems as though Harbaugh & Co. are doing the same things with Crabtree that he is doing with Smith - reeling him in, making him play to his strengths, then letting him out a little at a time. I hope I'm right and I hope the results with Crabtree are the same as they have been with Smith.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not worried for Davis... Davis will come through... just watch. Our offense is design to get everyone involved(IMO) rather than relying on an individual talent.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not too worried about Vernon Davis. He's improved his hands a lot over the years but he's not going to catch everything. He'll put up a few 100 yard games in the last 8 I think. Especially against NFC West he'll get his turn to take over some games and will get more chances with Gore's sore ankles.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
this is something people fail to see and it might have to do with watching smith not perform up to expectations for the past few years.

we win with tough d and running. smith protects the ball and doesn't do anything stupid. but he has the ability as shown with his 4th qtr comebacks (even in bad years, some of his best moments were in comebacks) to move the ball very well. right now we seem to have the ability to punch people in the gut with the running game and then when dazed and confused smith can fling the ball down the field if needed.

agree except for the bolden.

while we don't need Alex to be an "elite passing QB", he'll need to work in a LITTLE more "down the field". but the good thing is he has time to work on it, with five more games against the West.

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's mine though you didn't ask me:

21 of 26, 247 yards, 4TDs and zero picks (Rodgers)
17 of 23, 244 yards, 3 TDs and zero picks (Moore)

If Smith gives me that, he gets the grade of "great" also.

IMO, Smith's performance was "good enough to win". Pretty good, but not great.

Thanks for the stats Mozart, I can agree with you that the stats your provided are certainly better. With that said, I believe you need to take a teams philosophy into how you grade a qb. Harbaugh has clearly elevated Alex's play overall, but in some circumstances he also has limited his stats. When the niners had the ball on the goaline when it was 16-3, harbaugh clearly was thinking it was ok to "settle" for the fg. Going up 19-3 virtually assured the game being a win. I would like to see Harbaugh allow Alex to throw in that situation because if the niners are to do any damage in the playoffs, I believe there will be times where Alex will need to carry the team on his shoulders. It is my opinion that within the scope of the offense, Alex played a great game.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks for the stats Mozart, I can agree with you that the stats your provided are certainly better. With that said, I believe you need to take a teams philosophy into how you grade a qb. Harbaugh has clearly elevated Alex's play overall, but in some circumstances he also has limited his stats. When the niners had the ball on the goaline when it was 16-3, harbaugh clearly was thinking it was ok to "settle" for the fg. Going up 19-3 virtually assured the game being a win. I would like to see Harbaugh allow Alex to throw in that situation because if the niners are to do any damage in the playoffs, I believe there will be times where Alex will need to carry the team on his shoulders. It is my opinion that within the scope of the offense, Alex played a great game.

Agreed. There will be times again this year when it will be up to Smith to win it (ala the Detroit & Philly games). As for the FG to go up 19-3, I agree with that call. The 49ers don't run the ball well down by the goal as we saw in the Browns game and to get nothing out of that drive still keeps the Skins in the game. In that situation, I'd have done the same thing. We still disagree about Smith having a "great" game but that's OK. I think the best way to describe Smith's performance yesterday is "efficient".

southbaysportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed. There will be times again this year when it will be up to Smith to win it (ala the Detroit & Philly games). As for the FG to go up 19-3, I agree with that call. The 49ers don't run the ball well down by the goal as we saw in the Browns game and to get nothing out of that drive still keeps the Skins in the game. In that situation, I'd have done the same thing. We still disagree about Smith having a "great" game but that's OK. I think the best way to describe Smith's performance yesterday is "efficient".

Very good, I can appreciate your input as you usually provide examples or stats to back it up. Also, the fact that you are willing to listen to other people and respect their opinions regardless of whether or not you agree with them.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Rogers had Braylon, Davis, and Crabtree I think they'd put up some real big numbers, especially with Gore in the backfield. I think Braylon and Vernon Davis especially would be putting up some big numbers.

There's no doubt in my mind a QB like Rogers would have hurt those safeties in yesterday's game with the way they were playing. They were consistently creeping up to 10 yards from the LOS. Once they get burned and have to move back, you'd see a lot more receiving yards open up underneath.

i was wondering why harbaugh wasn't attacking the middle of the field. but then when he did davis was dropping the ball.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I agree with you there and I am not trying to say that Alex is anywhere near as good as Rodgers. Still, if our receivers corp had game breakers, we should have seen it by now. Again, please tell me the last time a Niner receiver took a 5 yard pass, made a play, and took it 70 or 80 yards for a TD. Been a long long time. They don't even come close. So you cannot lay all the blame for modest passing yardage on Alex, some goes to the receivers.

Last edited by a moderator:

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Storm, I agree with Edwards and Davis; However, Crabtree, today, would not even make the GB squad, he is far too undisciplined. Crabtree with Rodgers would be less effective than Ocho with Brady.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea where this belongs, but I don't feel like starting another thread....out of curiosity, I jumped in my time machine and went back to 2000. Here's what Mr. Dilfer did that year. He only started 8 games, but played in 11.

Record: 7-1
Comp %: 59.3
Yards: 1502
TD: 12
Int: 11
Yds/Att: 6.6
Yds/G: 136.5
QB Rating: 76.6
Sacks: 23
4th Qtr Comebacks: 1

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea where this belongs, but I don't feel like starting another thread....out of curiosity, I jumped in my time machine and went back to 2000. Here's what Mr. Dilfer did that year. He only started 8 games, but played in 11.

Record: 7-1
Comp %: 59.3
Yards: 1502
TD: 12
Int: 11
Yds/Att: 6.6
Yds/G: 136.5
QB Rating: 76.6
Sacks: 23
4th Qtr Comebacks: 1

Yes, this is why I hate when people say Alex is Dilfer II. I know Alex is closer to Dilfer than he is to Brett Favre, but I don't give everyone the benefit of the doubt on this one. Many are over-simplifying and regurgitating things they've heard from equally uneducated posters. If Dilfer were more like Alex maybe he wouldn't have been replaced the following year and maybe they would have repeated. It's not a one man team but he wasn't as efficient as Alex is right now. Unless someone can tell me that Dilfer was the only game manager that was at least as successful as Alex is right now (pre-postseason) I feel it isn't an accurate statement comparison. Nine more Ints with only 2 more TDs, 1 comeback victory, 50 fewer yards per game, and a rating more than 20 points less than Alex's.