• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think fact that they did nothing for the interior of the offensive line is nearly as bad if not worse than doing little for the secondary. I guess we know what next year's free agency and draft picks will be.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think fact that they did nothing for the interior of the offensive line is nearly as bad if not worse than doing little for the secondary. I guess we know what next year's free agency and draft picks will be.

Yeah of course we need more talent in the secondary and offensive line. But you only have so many high draft picks, and can't fix everything in one draft. Every team has weaknesses every season, so every team addresses it whenever they can. Yes, do draft offensive line help next year.

The biggest items were pass rush and RZ offense, to me they addressed it. Samuel will be a weapon any where on the field, but he'll help the RZ a lot whether him or for others.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah of course we need more talent in the secondary and offensive line. But you only have so many high draft picks, and can't fix everything in one draft. Every team has weaknesses every season, so every team addresses it whenever they can. Yes, do draft offensive line help next year.

The biggest items were pass rush and RZ offense, to me they addressed it. Samuel will be a weapon any where on the field, but he'll help the RZ a lot whether him or for others.

Sure if Tomlinson, Richburg, and whoever starts at the other guard spot doesn't allow too much pressure up the middle the new weapons should improve the red zone offense. I don't think they will be successful at that though. I have no faith in the interior offensive linemen on this team even less than the DB's at least they have shown at some point they can play at a high level or at least serviceable. It is going to be a huge issue much like edge rushing was last year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sure if Tomlinson, Richburg, and whoever starts at the other guard spot doesn't allow too much pressure up the middle the new weapons should improve the red zone offense. I don't think they will be successful at that though. I have no faith in the interior offensive linemen on this team even less than the DB's at least they have shown at some point they can play at a high level or at least serviceable. It is going to be a huge issue much like edge rushing was last year.

No doubt the interior offensive line can be better, but that is three positions to upgrade. Maybe two if Richburg's injury was the only reason for his poor play. But how can you deal with the pass rush, RZ offense, AND interior offensive line? Drafting a 4th round OG is drafting for depth, not an immediate starter. I think the Round 3 pick could be argued better for O-line, than our Round 4? Cause we MIGHT have gotten a starting OG in Round 3?

While the interior will have some issues, it won't be as bad as last years pass rush, nor RZ offense woes.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More experience this year and playing with the franchise QB in the huddle. Last year was draft choice was going to be Nelson or McGlinchey! I agree with a strong investment in Oline and Dbs!!:)

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt the interior offensive line can be better, but that is three positions to upgrade. Maybe two if Richburg's injury was the only reason for his poor play. But how can you deal with the pass rush, RZ offense, AND interior offensive line? Drafting a 4th round OG is drafting for depth, not an immediate starter. I think the Round 3 pick could be argued better for O-line, than our Round 4? Cause we MIGHT have gotten a starting OG in Round 3?

While the interior will have some issues, it won't be as bad as last years pass rush, nor RZ offense woes.

The interior of the 49ers o-line was one of if not the worst in the league. Now maybe not having the franchise QB played a part but not all of it. Jimmy Garoppolo is going to be seeing a lot of pressure up the middle which will hold back the team from making the kind of progress they could. Had they addressed this in the 3rd round or in free agency by adding a starting caliber guard then I might feel better but they didn't so I don't.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The interior of the 49ers o-line was one of if not the worst in the league. Now maybe not having the franchise QB played a part but not all of it. Jimmy Garoppolo is going to be seeing a lot of pressure up the middle which will hold back the team from making the kind of progress they could. Had they addressed this in the 3rd round or in free agency by adding a starting caliber guard then I might feel better but they didn't so I don't.

Ok, i mentioned Round 3 too. You were lamenting the draft, but now you're adding in Free Agency?!

Anyway, we ALL know the interior O-line isn't solid, we know. But that wasn't the worse area last season, the pass rush and RZ was much worse. So from that standpoint you can't blame Lynch/Shannahan for addressing RZ in Rounds 2 and 3. Samuel is much more than the RZ, but he'll add a lot when we get there.

They O-line started poorly in the first 4-5 games, but they played better (not great) the rest of the way. So most of the poor stats came from the start of last season. They aren't "the worst in the NFL", even Mullins had good passing stats without WR's.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, i mentioned Round 3 too. You were lamenting the draft, but now you're adding in Free Agency?!

Anyway, we ALL know the interior O-line isn't solid, we know. But that wasn't the worse area last season, the pass rush and RZ was much worse. So from that standpoint you can't blame Lynch/Shannahan for addressing RZ in Rounds 2 and 3. Samuel is much more than the RZ, but he'll add a lot when we get there.

They O-line started poorly in the first 4-5 games, but they played better (not great) the rest of the way. So most of the poor stats came from the start of last season. They aren't "the worst in the NFL", even Mullins had good passing stats without WR's.

They gave up more QB pressures than most interior o-linemen so I still see it as a major issue. I added free agency simply because it is the only other way to improve the team and all they really did was sign cast offs in the o-line. They have up the third most QB hits in the nfl and the interior have up 98 pressures while Staley and McGlinchey have up 65.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They gave up more QB pressures than most interior o-linemen so I still see it as a major issue. I added free agency simply because it is the only other way to improve the team and all they really did was sign cast offs in the o-line. They have up the third most QB hits in the nfl and the interior have up 98 pressures while Staley and McGlinchey have up 65.

If you're still mad we didn't address the ENTIRE team in one shot, then you're banging your head against the wall. Not to mention being unreasonable. No team can do this else they'd be 32 SB teams. :-)

So you expected they'd address the pass rush, RZ, AND interior pass protect? With limited high draft picks you have to decide what you're going to address first?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're still mad we didn't address the ENTIRE team in one shot, then you're banging your head against the wall. Not to mention being unreasonable. No team can do this else they'd be 32 SB teams. :-)

So you expected they'd address the pass rush, RZ, AND interior pass protect? With limited high draft picks you have to decide what you're going to address first?

I believe they said and by they I mean Lynch and Shanahan stated Samuels would help in the red zone so they used two of their three picks on the helping of the red zone at the skilled position without much thought about helping the red zone and every other down with helping the offensive o-line. Doo if they had done things correctly they could have helped the o-line, the red zone offense and the pass rush.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that SF should've addressed their interior line play with any pick from 2 to 4. Two receivers and a punter? Especially picks 3 and 4. The counter argument of course is that, the players available to fill the positions did not fit Shanahan's eye in regards to his system. Still...it looks that both Shanahans just don't value guards at those positions in the draft, and at this point, I'm not so sure I agree with that.

The argument that 'you can't solve everything in one draft' is irrelevant....especially when you don't address the problem in the first place, and you draft what is arguably the least important position, in a punter, with a fourth rounder.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/125404-miller-tells-maiocco-49ers-front-office-could-shuffled/

Like most i think this is overblown but even at worse case we keep Shannahan, Lynch goes, and we move on. If we still don't win enough games, then Shannahan goes, nothing new here.

No doubt they don't agree on every single player, and no doubt 'back and forth' occurred during the draft. But this is natural for all teams because it involves more than one person. Looking back at previous drafts, i'm sure someone is now thinking he was right on certain players? Some picks HAVEN'T worked out from the last two drafts so that would naturally cause doubt.

Lynch is in a harder position because he isn't the prime talent evaluator (apparently Adam Peters is), and has to keep Shannahan involved. Yet, as GM he takes the main hit for these 'less than average' drafts.

Anyway, win 7-8 games this season and this will go away for at least a year. Win only 4-5 games and if a change is necessary, go ahead. Again, nothing new in the NFL, all new 'regimes' that don't win, are replaced.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/125467-jimmy-garoppolo-hell-ready-week-its-trending-way/

Last year JG played 'ok', but not like the end of 2017. But now he should get help with Dante Pettis entering his second year; and Deebo Samuel being able to get open quicker. We'll likely see more shorter passes but designed for more RAC's, which makes sense.

This should take a LITTLE pressure off the pass protect.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/125522-shaun-ohara-predicts-49ers-nick-bradley-chubbs-total/

While i certainly hope Bosa exceeds 12 sacks, can't help wonder if this scheme will allow it? He's the Big End as opposed to LEO, so isn't set-up as primary pass rusher. Also, 12 sacks is quite a bit for a rookie and the far majority don't get near this total.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The opposite of this outcome is very much in play though. The 49ers could wind up in the postseason if a lot of things break their way this season. If they stay healthy, generate more turnovers, and improve in the red zone, they’re likely looking at 9 or 10 wins.

Nothing new here but just reinforcing what everyone knows, we need the most help with health, pass rush (leading to turnovers), and red zone. Health takes a lot of luck but you do address pass rush and RZ via the draft. Someone might argue Deebo Samuel will help the RZ and the 3rd rounder could've gone to either OG or FS? Again no argument here, but adding Hurd for the RZ isn't as bad as i first thought.

Regarding number of wins, health is something