• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2020 NFL Mock Draft: Cowboys pick up a cornerback, Tua heads to Tampa and more Thanksgiving treats
ound 1 - Pick 32
SF.svg

Yetur Gross-Matos EDGE
PENN STATE • JR • 6'5" / 264 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
San Francisco
PROSPECT RNK
19th
POSITION RNK
3rd

The defensive line has been so dominant that fans actually forget their linebacker group is not very good with Kwon Alexander injured. Gross-Matos can provide some athleticism and versatility on the edge.

Discuss.
I'll get it started. WTF?

Just draft the best available cause all drafts have to look 4-5 years down the road. As it stands now don't think we'll go QB, TE, WR, or DT (3-tech), otherwise all other positions are possible. That said there might simply be too much value so drafting one of these spots isn't a problem for me.

But we fans can never know who the team's BP will be and can only discuss Need. I generally like to use 1st round picks on D because if you have a big hole on D, every opponent will attack it. Fortunately we don't have a big hole on D, at the moment. We also know the O-line could use future help, so OT is ideal but maybe C/OG? A quality OT is harder to obtain and why i feel that's ideal. You can 'luck into into it but generally LT requires a high pick.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Speed, Speed. Speed!!! Oline/T/G/C. LB Urlacher!?! DT Buckners Twin! Sherman/Spoon...!?! Safety Ward/Tart...!?!OLB Sweat like!?! TE Dwelley..!?! 4/3, Nickel, Dime, Cover 2 Spy, Cover 3 Spy, DOLLAR!!:)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/135013-pff-expects-49ers-fall-short-double-digit-wins-2020/

At this point i'll have to agree with 10 wins and that might be a game optimistic? However, that MAY be enough to win the West with tie-breakers, who knows? The first goal is to win the West meaning beat the other three teams, at minimum get a split.

We lose some key free agents but the other West teams have FA decisions too.

The SB loss hangover plus the 1st place schedule doesn't bode well for 13 wins. Add Green Bay and New Orleans and 10 wins would be great. The other West teams don't play these two so winning the West won't be easy.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.************.com/articles/135013-pff-expects-49ers-fall-short-double-digit-wins-2020/

At this point i'll have to agree with 10 wins and that might be a game optimistic? However, that MAY be enough to win the West with tie-breakers, who knows? The first goal is to win the West meaning beat the other three teams, at minimum get a split.

We lose some key free agents but the other West teams have FA decisions too.

The SB loss hangover plus the 1st place schedule doesn't bode well for 13 wins. Add Green Bay and New Orleans and 10 wins would be great. The other West teams don't play these two so winning the West won't be easy.

We played both those teams this year just saying

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i know we won both, Green Bay twice, but that was without the SB hangover.

Yeah I get that we'll just have to wait and see the schedule will be tough but not as bad as many make it out to be.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah I get that we'll just have to wait and see the schedule will be tough but not as bad as many make it out to be.

Ok, way too early to get 'anxious', but how else do you evaluate the 4th toughest schedule in the NFL? Put it this way, i'd rather not play Green Bay and New Orleans, than play them. :-)

Anyway, my biggest concern is the SB hangover cause the evidence shows there IS something to it. We naturally think of this team as being the same, that we'll just pick up where we left off. But the psychology, emotion, 'magic', chemistry, etc. won't be the same.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, way too early to get 'anxious', but how else do you evaluate the 4th toughest schedule in the NFL? Put it this way, i'd rather not play Green Bay and New Orleans, than play them. :-)

Anyway, my biggest concern is the SB hangover cause the evidence shows there IS something to it. We naturally think of this team as being the same, that we'll just pick up where we left off. But the psychology, emotion, 'magic', chemistry, etc. won't be the same.

Sure but I don't mind playing the NFC and AFC East. Seattle have to play the Vikings and maybe Carolina? So they won't get off completely easy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers a model NFL team? Others try to figure out how they did it

It simply took some luck for everything to fall in place, and these are the major ones:

1. We got JG 'cheap', cause ordinarily you spend a lot of draft capital to get a good QB. JG isn't a franchise QB, at least not yet, but he's certainly very good.

2. Arik Armstead had a career year.

3. Jimmy Ward stayed healthy for most of the season, then played to his potential.

4. We were able to draft Nick Bosa #2 overall, despite having a good team. We had a good team but it was "latent' in 2018, due to a lot of players on IR. Things just didn't go our way in 2018, we lost all the close games so were able to pick #2 overall.

5. Drafts picks that really exceeded their draft levels - Kittle, Greenlaw, Warner, and i'd even include James. Or came on strong earlier than their draft levels would've predicted.

Lynch and Shannahan certainly had their misses in the draft AND free agency.

Other reubilding teams need to hit on their draft classes first and foremost. You won't be right on every single pick, but you have to get more than most. Then if consecutive drafts doesn't include a QB, they need to priortize for one, getting one is easier said than done.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but i just read Hopkins isn't explosive any more, so that makes it more of a fair trade with that in mind.

Johnson wasn't very explosive last year either.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Johnson wasn't very explosive last year either.

From Houton's point of view, the bigger part of the trade is the 2nd and 4th rounders, not Johnson. Whereas Arizona targetted Hopkins.

BTW - didn't say the trade is now equal, but its a little more fair if you believe that writer on Hopkins.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers’ rare stability should help navigate uncertain offseason

Yes, the continuity is there and the window is wide open.

The counter argument at least for this season, is the SB hangover. I do believe the SB hangover is real and i can only hope it doesn't hit as hard as history shows? Shannahan firmly believes the mental make-up of this team is good, so i'd expect 'mild'.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanders signs with the Saints. I think it's safe to say a WR will be drafted early.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, but how early is "early"? :-)
1st round maybe 2nd if they move back. They don't pick again until the 5th. The offense was much better once they traded for Sanders.